Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB not recognized in center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3LR. Created Music USB formatted as FAT32 on new SanDisk flash drive. Neither port in center console connects to Media Player. Ports will charge iPhone with
USB-C/Lightening cable so ports must be live. Plugging flash drive into USB port in glovebox works fine and all contents show up in Media Player. Moving flash drive back to center console and USB no longer appears.

Software is v2021.35.103. Could problem be software issue? Is this something for Tesla Service to fix?

Similar concern - no answer in that thread either.

New Model 3LR. Created Music USB formatted as FAT32 on new SanDisk flash drive. Neither port in center console connects to Media Player. Ports will charge iPhone with
USB-C/Lightening cable so ports must be live. Plugging flash drive into USB port in glovebox works fine and all contents show up in Media Player. Moving flash drive back to center console and USB no longer appears.

Software is v2021.35.103. Could problem be software issue? Is this something for Tesla Service to fix?
here is a sad tale from my MYLR that may pertain to your situation. I have a 2022 that was born after November 1.

I had mobile service out today to install my homelink. Usb c with no data was news to him. He opened up the console and found the standard usb c hub behind the ports. Per him, it is the same usb hub he's seen in other MYLR that he has worked on in the past that have data functionality. The wiring harness is attached in typical fashion. Per him, either software crippled the data or the cable that goes from the usb A in the glovebox is power only.

Called Support

Nice but couldn't really help. Acknowledged that having this functionality removed seems like a bad idea and using the usb a port in glovebox is awkward, but there is a portion of the sales agreement that essentially says (and I'm paraphrasing) "we may change things and you are simply out of luck." Thought the situation was bad, they would be mad themselves, but too bad so sad the end. Advised me to call my salesman. Emailed salesman. He emails back sorry not my problem, email support. Emailed support -- no response. Called service at local Tesla dealer. Very nice. Acknowledged functionality was removed aroud November 1 and there is no retrofit available. Stated that it is not the same hub as before. Hmm. Usb C data function remains for MX and MS. Sent me the holiday update again to see if it would push Sonic to me. Received update, reinstalled. No Sonic.

Bought a usb a hub. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ejected sentry usb thumb drive (Tesla issued). Placed sentry drive into hub. Placed a usb drive with music in hub. Placed a game controller with usb controller. Results: Sentry mode works fine. Usb appears in the entertainment section and sorts music by genre, artist, etc. Plays on mini player. Playback skips, but it may be the thumb drive. Will try with this to see if it works better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the game controller with standard usb plug works! This is despite not displaying any text in the game description that it is supported. Wasn't able to test two player mode but one player works. Tried most of the games and there is functionality. Mind you leaving the glovebox open with a hub and the cords dangling is inelegant.

So there you have it. It seems underhanded and rather silly to remove the center console usb data capability but we essentially have no recourse. Nor is sonic apparently available despite documentation that indicated otherwise.

Our best hope would be that a third party company begins selling a retrofit kit that allow the USB c ports in the console to be connected to the usb a port in the glovebox. Another approach could be attaching a wireless dongle to hub and to controller so the glovebox could be left closed. In the event anyone tries this or comes up with another solution I think we would all appreciate an update.

I formatted this drive as exFAT with the TeslaCam and Music folders on separate partitions. Works great in both glovebox and console. Same car/software as yours!

here is a sad tale from my MYLR that may pertain to your situation. I have a 2022 that was born after November 1.

I had mobile service out today to install my homelink. Usb c with no data was news to him. He opened up the console and found the standard usb c hub behind the ports. Per him, it is the same usb hub he's seen in other MYLR that he has worked on in the past that have data functionality. The wiring harness is attached in typical fashion. Per him, either software crippled the data or the cable that goes from the usb A in the glovebox is power only.

Called Support

Nice but couldn't really help. Acknowledged that having this functionality removed seems like a bad idea and using the usb a port in glovebox is awkward, but there is a portion of the sales agreement that essentially says (and I'm paraphrasing) "we may change things and you are simply out of luck." Thought the situation was bad, they would be mad themselves, but too bad so sad the end. Advised me to call my salesman. Emailed salesman. He emails back sorry not my problem, email support. Emailed support -- no response. Called service at local Tesla dealer. Very nice. Acknowledged functionality was removed aroud November 1 and there is no retrofit available. Stated that it is not the same hub as before. Hmm. Usb C data function remains for MX and MS. Sent me the holiday update again to see if it would push Sonic to me. Received update, reinstalled. No Sonic.

Bought a usb a hub. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ejected sentry usb thumb drive (Tesla issued). Placed sentry drive into hub. Placed a usb drive with music in hub. Placed a game controller with usb controller. Results: Sentry mode works fine. Usb appears in the entertainment section and sorts music by genre, artist, etc. Plays on mini player. Playback skips, but it may be the thumb drive. Will try with this to see if it works better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the game controller with standard usb plug works! This is despite not displaying any text in the game description that it is supported. Wasn't able to test two player mode but one player works. Tried most of the games and there is functionality. Mind you leaving the glovebox open with a hub and the cords dangling is inelegant.

So there you have it. It seems underhanded and rather silly to remove the center console usb data capability but we essentially have no recourse. Nor is sonic apparently available despite documentation that indicated otherwise.

Our best hope would be that a third party company begins selling a retrofit kit that allow the USB c ports in the console to be connected to the usb a port in the glovebox. Another approach could be attaching a wireless dongle to hub and to controller so the glovebox could be left closed. In the event anyone tries this or comes up with another solution I think we would all appreciate an update.
Here is a screenshot of the user manual for 2021.44

Attachments

• B957D51B-D08B-4E0B-9EE3-48D6436FE37F.png
    B957D51B-D08B-4E0B-9EE3-48D6436FE37F.png
    506 KB · Views: 579
Reactions: EdEV
Update:
M3LR / 12/07 Delivery / 2021.44.25.2 updated recently.
Agreeing with @rbcopod above..... my SSD/USB Music no longer works in center console, although I prefer keeping it in glovebox for TeslaCam/USB Music working & glovebox locked.
But, I'm hosed. Wired Xbox Controller won't work in center console (anymore?)

Good find!! That peevs me off. Where do we sign the petition? I'm opening a ticket through the app as a defect on my >30 day old M3LR. I pasted that link right in the issue description. Will report back next week after we hear what mobile service says. Thank you!!

I have been messing around with this issue for a couple of days...only to find out that those USB ports don't support data? And are extremely finicky about charging too. I cannot find an adapter or hub that delivers power, those same adapters/hubs work on all other devices. Wow. Love the car. But wow.

This has to be about the most stingy cost cutting move I've ever encountered. What could it possibly save them $0.75??? Unreal.

Now I can understand if there are supply chain issues that prevented availability. But it should absolutely be noted to buyers.

Would this be something that can be retrofitted later?
I hope so. I imagine if no retrofit is offered, one of the third party companies will produce a DIY fix in either the usb hub and/or the cable from the functioning usb a glovebox port.

I suspect it was not cost cutting for the individual components, but to keep the production line churning out product. That’s fine, but tell the consumer you made a change and promise to fix it when your supply chain is restored.

Reactions: brkaus
I hope so. I imagine if no retrofit is offered, one of the third party companies will produce a DIY fix in either the usb hub and/or the cable from the functioning usb a glovebox port.

I suspect it was not cost cutting for the individual components, but to keep the production line churning out product. That’s fine, but tell the consumer you made a change and promise to fix it when your supply chain is restored.
Agree. When I said it was a $0.75 savings I was probably over-exaggerating the savings. It is probably more like $0.0075! But the production line continuity is likely the reason.

To be honest, it is not that big a deal to me. I have a 256gb SD card that is partitioned as 2/3 for camera and 1/3 for music in the glove box. I wanted to plug in a game controller just for the heck of it, now I likely won't bother because of the lack of ports. Again, not that big a deal to me.

I am much more concerned with the finicky charging capability of the USB-C ports. I am 100% certain the phone, hub, adapter, and cable work as I plugged them into other charging sources with no issue at all. But it is that lack of charging capability that brought me to this post and ticked me off!

Reactions: tm1v2
When I said it was a $0.75 savings I was probably over-exaggerating the savings. It is probably more like $0.0075! But the production line continuity is likely the reason.
Agreed, almost certainly this was done for parts availability, not cost savings. Look at the timing too right after some cars were built without any front USB-C ports at all. The microchip shortages are no joke, USB-C and PD controllers are impacted too.

One thing this has me wondering - those who had to get front USB-C ports retrofitted in, are your retrofit ports hooked up for data or charge-only? (I realize this could vary, could be some retrofits got the old setup and some got the new.)

Edit: The difference between other automakers and Tesla here is not *just* communication about lacking the expected feature. I believe most other automakers have offered a minor discount, e.g. a couple hundred $USD, for missing features that were expected at order time due to parts shortages. Which in the scheme of buying a new car is peanuts, but it's infinitely more than the $0 Tesla is offering for this missing feature.

(Now for the entirely missing USB-C ports that Tesla promised to retrofit, I never felt they owed anyone a refund so long as they came through with the retrofit. They just needed better, more proactive communication there too. But if the retrofit ports are lacking the expected data connections, that would fall into this category where a little refund might go a long ways towards some customer goodwill.)

Last edited:
Agreed, almost certainly this was done for parts availability, not cost savings. Look at the timing too right after some cars were built without any front USB-C ports at all. The microchip shortages are no joke, USB-C and PD controllers are impacted too.

One thing this has me wondering - those who had to get front USB-C ports retrofitted in, are your retrofit ports hooked up for data or charge-only? (I realize this could vary, could be some retrofits got the old setup and some got the new.)
That would be interesting to learn. It would also help explain if this is simply a hardware consideration or if it is also something affecting software and functionality. The fact that Sonic is not installed for those of us that have the neutered USB-Cs is not a great sign. Seems as though they are coding around the USB port capability.

The fact that Sonic is not installed for those of us that have the neutered USB-Cs is not a great sign. Seems as though they are coding around the USB port capability.
Have you found other owners to correlate no-USB-C-data == no-Sonic? It does make sense if the team deploying games didn't realize controllers can still be used via the glovebox port. If that's what happened I sure hope they fix it ASAP. Delete a conditional branch to fix a bug, the best way!

Have you found other owners to correlate no-USB-C-data == no-Sonic? It does make sense if the team deploying games didn't realize controllers can still be used via the glovebox port. If that's what happened I sure hope they fix it ASAP. Delete a conditional branch to fix a bug, the best way!
Yes, there are a couple of posts about it. See #3 above in this thread.

@rbcopod No luck on my side either.... they even cancelled my appointment!!
My response to them will be something along the lines of "You don't understand. I purchased the vehicle with this feature documented and confirmed in the Owner's Manual(s) as of September 2021. So if Tesla has removed a feature that it listed/sold but didn't deliver then I will have to escalate my request...."
TMC-No USB Service.jpg

I guess I should have asked Santa for "Console Data Transfer" for Christmas?

Reactions: rbcopod

Hi,

There has been a discussion regarding the issue you met. Basically, Tesla canceled the data transmission function due to chip shortage for all 2022 Model 3/Y. Per Tesla service center, they currently don't hear that Tesla will retrofit this function. You may also find more details in discussion below:

Fortunately, we have designed and made the data transmission module to restore the data transmission function at console data ports. And there's been lots of TMC members discussion about our products.

You may find more product information at our product page!

Hope this help and let us know if you have any questions regarding our products!

Hi,

There has been a discussion regarding the issue you met. Basically, Tesla canceled the data transmission function due to chip shortage for all 2022 Model 3/Y. Per Tesla service center, they currently don't hear that Tesla will retrofit this function. You may also find more details in discussion below:

Fortunately, we have designed and made the data transmission module to restore the data transmission function at console data ports. And there's been lots of TMC members discussion about our products.

You may find more product information at our product page!

Hope this help and let us know if you have any questions regarding our products!
Do you ship to Canada?

Reactions: HelloJP