Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB PD charging that allows you to use the charging dock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My line of work requires that I always have a fully charged phone, and my current setup (an Anker 60 watt USB hub connected to the 12v port) just isn't keeping my iPhone (11 Pro Max) charged as fully as I need.

I really want to take advantage of 18w charging via USB PD, but would really like to keep using the charging dock in the car, which requires a 90 degree USB to lightning cable. I tried using an adapter (pictured below) to go from USB C to USB A (female) to allow me to keep using the Tesla provided cable, but it provides a negative charge rate. Any tips?
IMG_0634.JPG

It won't work unless some 3rd party company like Anker makes an Apple MFI certified 90 degree cable that allows for PD. There's a proprietary design in the connector that tells the phone that the cable is capable/certified to allow for PD.

Apple themselves will never make a 90 degree cable. And they've only licensed out the tech recently to some 3rd party manufacturers.

so i ended up using the tutorials floating around to dismantle the center console and route a USB-C quick charger from the auto-port to the front so I could get 5A of charge. can you do the same, except use a USB-C to lightning cable?

It won't work unless some 3rd party company like Anker makes an Apple MFI certified 90 degree cable that allows for PD. There's a proprietary design in the connector that tells the phone that the cable is capable/certified to allow for PD.

Apple themselves will never make a 90 degree cable. And they've only licensed out the tech recently to some 3rd party manufacturers.
Interesting! That explains why even using an Apple sourced USB to lightning cable, that setup didn’t work.

so i ended up using the tutorials floating around to dismantle the center console and route a USB-C quick charger from the auto-port to the front so I could get 5A of charge. can you do the same, except use a USB-C to lightning cable?
That’s the exact set up that I have now, the problem is that I can’t use USB C with the provided right angle cables from Tesla, which I really want to keep so that I can dock my phone.

Welcome to the world of charging via PD standard. The dependence on the C type port is a PITA. Its very finicky about adapters as well. I have a cable hanging out of my center console to handle quick charging. I use this one and it quick charges my Pixel 3 fine with a regular USB for my work phone or passenger.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07P9ZH8CC/ref=psdc_2407761011_t1_B07FT8DKR7
that's basically the charger that i have. the charger isn't the problem for OP, it's the cable.

My line of work requires that I always have a fully charged phone, and my current setup (an Anker 60 watt USB hub connected to the 12v port) just isn't keeping my iPhone (11 Pro Max) charged as fully as I need.

I really want to take advantage of 18w charging via USB PD, but would really like to keep using the charging dock in the car, which requires a 90 degree USB to lightning cable. I tried using an adapter (pictured below) to go from USB C to USB A (female) to allow me to keep using the Tesla provided cable, but it provides a negative charge rate. Any tips?

USB A took you back down to basic charging. But that should still charge your phone. Get the Anker USB C PD to Apple cable for faster charging.

But if you really need to be available by phone, start uninstalling apps or get a basic flip phone. If a standard charger is "negative" then your phone is sucking way too much power.