Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB player consistently forgets ID3 tags following software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a relatively new Model S owner. My primary music source while driving is the USB player (I have a 64GB memory stick plugged into the center console).

I've been through a few software updates now, and I've noticed that the USB player will consistently forget the ID3 tags (artist, album, genre, etc.) immediately following a software update, and reverts to simply showing the file names (SomeSong.mp3). The odd file here and there will still properly display ID3 tags, but the vast majority just show their file name. The files still play okay, but the user experience is much worse without all the proper song meta data displayed.

Waiting for the ID3 tags to show up later doesn't work (they don't). Rebooting the center screen does not help. Restarting the car does not help. Unplugging and replugging the USB stick does not help. Moving the USB stick from port to port does not help.

The only thing I've found that helps is to unplug the USB stick, take it to my computer, and do something to "change" the file system. For example, I typically move all the files from one root level folder to another (new) root level folder. When re-inserted into the car, the USB screen says "Loading" for a while, and then all the ID3 tags come back.

Anybody else seeing this?

This happens more or less daily for me - no need to do a software update. My files all come out of iTunes; the track names often have the track number associated with them. Sometimes a song will show as just the name, then the next day it will show as the name with the track number at the beginning. Due to issues with shuffle play, I have resorted to just playing my music alphabetically. I really noticed this issue when I got down to the numbered songs; some days I have a few dozen, other days there are hundreds or maybe thousands (I have about 4,000 songs on my memory stick, but don't take the time to count or scroll through all of the numbered ones). I have just chalked it up to one more annoying thing about the music player, and am impatiently biding my time until the new OS update with the promised improvements to the media player in the hopes of (a) getting a properly-functioning Shuffle feature, and (b) getting proper support for tags and album art etc.