Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since my last firmware update, 2021.4.18, I've been having issues with USB audio. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't show up and an error message shows up saying there's an error with the USB port. I've used 3 different USB drives and all of them have this intermittent problem. I've tried flipping which drive is in which port (the 2nd drive is for the dashcam). All my USB drives (including the dash cam one) are 128gb Lexar USB 3.0 drives, "S75" is the model). I listen to audiobooks in the car and it's quite annoying that I can't listen continuously. For example I listen on the way home, everything is fine. I don't remove the USB drive, don't even touch it. The next morning the USB drive is not listed on the audio options and the error message is there. Never had a problem before this last update. Anyone else having this issue?

Check your cable, try a different one. Cables are notoriously where the various companies try to save money, and tons of them will break internally at the drop of a hat. If you do this, and can rule out cable and drive issues, it's the usb interface in the car, another thing that's prone to breaking. Make a service appointment for that.

But I can say that I think the USB connections have gotten flakier somewhere in the last few updates - I used to always have a rock solid usb audio resume experience, but now it's not working nearly as well. Protip: what helps is waking up the car prior to getting into it before driving it.

Check your cable, try a different one. Cables are notoriously where the various companies try to save money, and tons of them will break internally at the drop of a hat. If you do this, and can rule out cable and drive issues, it's the usb interface in the car, another thing that's prone to breaking. Make a service appointment for that.

But I can say that I think the USB connections have gotten flakier somewhere in the last few updates - I used to always have a rock solid usb audio resume experience, but now it's not working nearly as well. Protip: what helps is waking up the car prior to getting into it before driving it.
I'm not using a cable. Just sticking the USB drive directly into the front port. I don't think the port is bad because the USB I use for the dashcam works in either port without issue.

Sorry, I was projecting my use of ssd drives on your situation. Obviously the wrong answer. Have you considered trying a non-lexar drive? I got a counterfeit one once that was Lexar branded. Might be worth trying as they're fairly inexpensive.