TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB port management if the Dashcam update in Rev 9 takes 1 port

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by rvandrew, Sep 27, 2018.

1. rvandrew

rvandrew Member

I know in the "interior and exterior" area of the forum there was a lot of talk about the possibility of adding a hub, but as far as I can tell, the majority of the users were looking at hub management for phone charging purposes. This seemed more of a connectivity issue. Now that there is talk of needing a USB thumb drive for Dashcam data, is there a spot on the forum for the possibility of adding a USB hub for data management? I know there are those who use an existing USB port for music on a thumb drive. One of the proposed solutions to the multi-hub question was this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JTSMVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=eatirule-20&tag=tmc064-20
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-Black/dp/B00FJG5T4W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515280980&sr=8-4&keywords=small+usb+hub

they are a bit clunky, but perhaps functional enough. Do these mini-hubs work? Do you think a person could plug in a "music" thumb drive as well as a "dashcam" thumb drive in one?
    As far as I know, there are only 2 of the ports that are "data" ports as well as charging. Naturally these are also in the most convenient spot for pluging in a phone charger. So, how are people planning on juggling the new need to tie up a USB port?

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You can most likely use the same USB drive for music and the dash cam as long as it has the “Teslacam” folder (or is it “Tescam"?) for the dashcam video clips.

• Disagree x 4
  3. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

Unfortuately, no. From the manual:

Note: When connected, the flash drive is dedicated to dashcam only. It cannot also be used to play media files.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Ah, ok. I only saw the on-screen release notes that mentioned the Tescam folder. There was no mention of a dedicated drive.

5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Where did you get the manual with Ver. 9 info?

6. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

7. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

If you have AP2.5 in your car (required for Dashcam) then you should also have 2 extra USB ports facing the rear seat...

• Disagree x 1
  8. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

These are only used for phone charging for the rear seat passengers. They are not wired into the infotainment system.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. rvandrew

rvandrew Member

So, there are 2 usb ports in the front, (data and power) and 2 USB ports in the back. (Power only. ) Has anyone tried putting any kind of hub onto the front USB ports in the front to see if the system can recognize multiple thumb drives off of one "port"?

• Like x 1
  10. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

And technically they are present due to having the Premium Interior rather than AP 2.5.

11. rvandrew

rvandrew Member

So, is it possible to put two USB drives connected to a hub connected to one port and have the car see both thumb drives? I would try it myself, but my car is in having clearbra put on.

12. rvandrew

rvandrew Member

Because if that is possible, it may also be possible to put one drive with music, and one drive configured to be a dashcam drive both attached to one port, leaving the other port for phone charging and other fun needs.

13. lairdb

lairdb Member

I have not tried multiple drives, but I can confirm that an old hub works and allows one drive and (slow, bus power) charging of a phone.

• Like x 1
  14. lairdb

lairdb Member

The ever-handy Jon Osborne posted a video in which he took the console apart and tapped the lighter to put a second lighter outlet on the same bulkhead as the USBs. Until and unless Tesla does something interesting with the phone data connection, I'm thinking of doing that and using a two-output USB lighter for the power to the phones (or one to the less-used side), leaving the stock USB outlets for drives.

Screengrab:
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 6
  15. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

I'm going to wire my Aukey 12-volt to USB up to the front cell phone dock area using the method RPM Tesla did for their wireless install (once my angled micro-usb cable arrives this weekend). Will make it easy to convert that to wireless Qi fast charging in the future once I settle on something.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Technically they are present due to having the Premium Interior post Aug 2016. But cars built between Aug 16 and end-July 2017 can't use Dashcam so... *shrug*

17. Rogue one

Rogue one Member

That is what I’m doing, I’ll get faster wireless charging because the front ports are painfully slow.

18. evpulse

evpulse Member

I think this is the best option currently. I plan to do something like this for my Nomad when it finally arrives, which will give me a backup front USB port for non wireless devices and 1 dedicated for the dash cam storage.

19. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

Does anyone know of a cigarette lighter / USB splitter that will fit in the 3 that will not interfere with the tray? I want to be able to do what that video shows with the USB but also still be able to have the cigarette lighter port. There are plenty of USB only adapters that will fit but I'm not sure if any combo adapters fit.

Something like this : Will this fit or is the plug too big for the tray?

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Te-Rich-Cigarette-Lighter-Extender/dp/B07919SSGH/ref=lp_13672506011_1_2?srs=13672506011&ie=UTF8&qid=1538282199&sr=8-2

[​IMG]

20. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

That's the one that I use... Fits great.

Also I have this hub with 2 thumb drives and they both play fine.

• Informative x 1