Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port management if the Dashcam update in Rev 9 takes 1 port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On their site, Nomad states "In order to achieve fast wireless charging for two devices simultaneously, both front USB ports must be attached to this device. It can be plugged into one port while the other is accessible, slowing the rate at which two phones charge."

I bought this USB splitter from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only been two days but seems to be working fine. I added some songs to the thumb drive and have been able to listen to them and the Nomad seems to be charging fine (Amber or white lights on both side). Other people have reported issues with this splitter but have not encountered any yet (you need to make sure the thumb drive is plugged into the correct side as one side only charges).

The TeslaCam folder is still empty but guessing that has more to do with the fact I don't have Ver. 9 yet.

Was looking at this one as well, then saw it said "Can not charge Apple IOS devices". Since we are an ALL iOS device house, this won't work.

Was looking at this one as well, then saw it said "Can not charge Apple IOS devices". Since we are an ALL iOS device house, this won't work.

OK, so I went down to my car to try it out and did confirm that it will not charge iOS devices. Naturally, if you have a Qi wireless charger (as the Nomad), it will charge through that.

I did figure out an alternate solution for people plugging in iPhones direct - you can plug a portable charger into the splitter which will charge and plug the iPhone into the charger and the iPhone will charge (and as an added benefit, this will also charge the phone even if the car is off - of course, this would have to be the phone that is not the "car key").

It's been four days and the setup still works. To avoid having to find the original reference, the USB splitter I bought was:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Thunder7ga
OK, so I went down to my car to try it out and did confirm that it will not charge iOS devices. Naturally, if you have a Qi wireless charger (as the Nomad), it will charge through that.

I did figure out an alternate solution for people plugging in iPhones direct - you can plug a portable charger into the splitter which will charge and plug the iPhone into the charger and the iPhone will charge (and as an added benefit, this will also charge the phone even if the car is off - of course, this would have to be the phone that is not the "car key").

It's been four days and the setup still works. To avoid having to find the original reference, the USB splitter I bought was:

Wait, what? You are able to charge your phone from the front USB ports when the car is off? Or are you meaning that you are using a USB adapter from the 12V cig port? Because my front USB ports are not on when the car is off. Unless they charged that in v9 and you have that...

Back in July I made a how-to guide on adding some power USB ports as well. Similar to the first video in this thread, but with dedicated USB ports instead of a 12v power outlet. If you don't want to drill such a large hole into the car, then this may be a good alternative:
How-to add USB ports for more power

Now that I'm about to lose another USB port for storage, I may consider adding another voltage regulator (or replacing with a higher amp unit) and running a few more outlets.

Wait, what? You are able to charge your phone from the front USB ports when the car is off? Or are you meaning that you are using a USB adapter from the 12V cig port? Because my front USB ports are not on when the car is off. Unless they charged that in v9 and you have that...

I was saying by having the portable charger attached between the USB port and the phone, even when there is no power from the USB, the phone can still charge off the portable charger.

Reactions: wbhokie
I just finished installing this in my Model 3, to use along with a Nomad wireless charge mat.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port...UTF8&qid=1539051407&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+12v

I used the video RPM Tesla posted on YouTube here as a guide with some modifications:

I ran the cabling along the passenger's side of the car because it's easier to work with that side since the steering wheel isn't in the way, and the the cable with the Anker 12v to USB hub is long enough, with plenty of slack left.

I had to make 2 cuts into the plastic/felt after removing the 2 trim pieces, and the cuts had to be bigger and deeper than shown in RPM Tesla's video since the Anker cable is thicker than the one they used. I made one cut just to the rear of the rubber nub that RPM Tesla runs their cable under, and then I made another cut a little to rear of the section where the Nomad wireless charge mat sits. I found the cut cannot be made up top like shown in RPM Tesla's video, because Anker's cable is thicker and will not fit between the trim and Nomad wireless charge mat, while allowing the forward door of the center console to close.

When running the Anker cable, I jammed it into the space in below where the metal trim piece goes. The cable fits in the space down there and between the lower plastic trim piece that you don't have to remove. When running it back up and then through the cut I made near the Nomad mat, I avoided the hinge for the center console door and also avoided the screw holes and clips. Using small pieces of tape helps to route the Anker cable there.

The Anker 12v to USB hub includes a nice piece of 3M double sided foam tape, so I was able to mount the USB hub to the wall of the center console where the car's front USB ports are located. This way the Nomad's USB cables reach the hub, and there's still room to plug USB flash drives into the car's front USB ports for use with the dashcam feature of software version 9.

These pics aren't the greatest since I installed this at night while the car is parked in my garage, but I'm happy with the results. Once I got the trim pieces back on, you can't tell that I made the 2 cuts.
Imgur

I did exactly what you did. Took a little while to get the wires right. Also mounted the hub right under the cell phone tray.

Attachments

• 20181013_193640.jpg
    20181013_193640.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20181013_193620.jpg
    20181013_193620.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: outie
Sorry had not noticed it was now unavailable, I bought it not that long ago. There was a link to a newer version that looks almost identical. Has button on each port.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Individual-MacBook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B071G83CNN

I don't think it's anything all that special and I expect lots of hubs will work. Keep in mind I have not tested it extensively, but looks promising.

Come to think of it, I wanted to get a 2nd one myself. I'm gonna wait for V9 TeslaCam to see if it works as well on the hub, I expect it will.

Just checking back to see if the Hub is working for you with the TeslaCam USB stick.

Just checking back to see if the Hub is working for you with the TeslaCam USB stick.

Yes, it is. But...

What I did so far is put a DashCam stick in Port 1 in the car and the Hub in the Port 2.

I put the Music stick in the hub, both Left and Right wireless charging pads in the hub and a spare lightning cable.

It was charging both phones, music playing and DashCam Icon was lit.

However, things are still a bit buggy on V9, but vastly improved.

I noticed driving hone last night the DashCam red dot was not on (it’s plugged in direct). I also looked at one sample DashCam video and it was pretty poor (this was before using the hub).

Every time you open doors on the car every turns on. And shut them when not in the car shuts everything off. This gets pretty old. I also have a Radar detector in the rear cigarette lighter adapter.

I think everything going off and on stressed things. Overall I think the hub works and isn’t the reason for instability. I think the instability is from having a very large (to it) flash drive of music. 10,000 MP3’s

I also removed the hub and just ran the two flash drives and things were just as flaky. UI gets flaky while it’s scanning flash drive for music.

One other issue I have is I need the phone to maintain a GPS lock while in the cubby. It can’t hold a good lock in the cubby. Grrr. 200-300 foot accuracy.

So I might have to mount the iPhone on the dash and I really wanted to avoid that.

So I’m 90% sure the hub works. But I’m not 100% sure it doesn’t make things worse.

I may try the 2 partitions on one stick. Or an SSD drive to speed up scanning.

I have the Jeda wireless charging pad (Version 1 I think) and just got this USB to dual Micro-USB splitter and was able to charge two iPhones at the same time (X and XS Max). Not fasting charging of course, but a quick and easy solution to have "slow" wireless charging for two phones, and leave a USB port free for dashcam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTYA3IS
Was the charging noticeably slower than when you used one USB port-per-side of the Jeda?

Was the charging noticeably slower than when you used one USB port-per-side of the Jeda?

Why use a splitter when a Hub gives way more flexibility. Probably safer too. Splits DATA and power. It also leaves room for a lighting cable in case passenger wants to charge while using their phone. Also if they need to charge faster than wireless they can plug in.

I didn’t time charging direct vs on hub. But it charged both iPhones fine. I was actually a little surprised.

Because my wife’s phone has one of those wireless charging cases. Hers is an iPhone 6s with wireless case. Mine is an X. I’m surprised how good the wireless charging case worked.

Her phone would not charge wirelessly using an iPhone wall wart (one of those white cubes). I had to dig up a more powerful USB wall wart. But it charged fine sharing one port in the car via the hub. My X charges wirelessly fine on an iPhone USB cube. So I know her phone is not as efficient but it worked too.

I am using the right port for a dedicated USB media thumb drive
The left port right now has the hub with one thumb drive for dashcam, and the other for a dedicated phone charger.

No issues at any time with anything. The dashcam has been on and active at all times since v9. The phone has charged at all times when I plug it in, and the USB media has always been available.

I bought one of these and it was defective. Only one side allowed for data.

Yes, only one side allowed for data but not a defect as it states on the page (and in the name of the product):

Note: The red marked cable is just for charging to bring more power(Can not charge Apple IOS devices); Another is Charging & Data Sync Cable for all devices.
Onvian USB Splitter Cable Male to 2 Female Adapter USB A Cord 2 Port Hub for Data Charging Syncing (Only one Port for Data)

Lloyd: I ordered that cable also (have not received it yet). However, according to the description on Amazon that cable is designed for one of the two female ends to be power only. I beleive that if you want data on multiple ports you will need a USB hub.

Actually that makes perfect sense. It’s not a “hub”. They just tapped power off for the secondary socket. Use a real hub. They cost about the same, are tiny, And give you 4 ports of data and power.

I have seen some splitter that are hubs though. You need to read fine print (which often is wrong on this cheap Chinese thingies). Read reviews and questions too. I bet others say data only works on one port.

Granted it could be just broken too. But very cheap way to make a splitter is just to tap power and most users that’s all they need/want. One data and 2 power.