Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port management if the Dashcam update in Rev 9 takes 1 port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know in the "interior and exterior" area of the forum there was a lot of talk about the possibility of adding a hub, but as far as I can tell, the majority of the users were looking at hub management for phone charging purposes. This seemed more of a connectivity issue. Now that there is talk of needing a USB thumb drive for Dashcam data, is there a spot on the forum for the possibility of adding a USB hub for data management? I know there are those who use an existing USB port for music on a thumb drive. One of the proposed solutions to the multi-hub question was this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=eatirule-20&tag=tmc064-20
or
https://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-Black/dp/B00FJG5T4W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515280980&sr=8-4&keywords=small+usb+hub

they are a bit clunky, but perhaps functional enough. Do these mini-hubs work? Do you think a person could plug in a "music" thumb drive as well as a "dashcam" thumb drive in one?
As far as I know, there are only 2 of the ports that are "data" ports as well as charging. Naturally these are also in the most convenient spot for pluging in a phone charger. So, how are people planning on juggling the new need to tie up a USB port?

So, there are 2 usb ports in the front, (data and power) and 2 USB ports in the back. (Power only. ) Has anyone tried putting any kind of hub onto the front USB ports in the front to see if the system can recognize multiple thumb drives off of one "port"?

Reactions: C141medic
Because if that is possible, it may also be possible to put one drive with music, and one drive configured to be a dashcam drive both attached to one port, leaving the other port for phone charging and other fun needs.

So, there are 2 usb ports in the front, (data and power) and 2 USB ports in the back. (Power only. ) Has anyone tried putting any kind of hub onto the front USB ports in the front to see if the system can recognize multiple thumb drives off of one "port"?

I have not tried multiple drives, but I can confirm that an old hub works and allows one drive and (slow, bus power) charging of a phone.

Reactions: Stoney35
The ever-handy Jon Osborne posted a video in which he took the console apart and tapped the lighter to put a second lighter outlet on the same bulkhead as the USBs. Until and unless Tesla does something interesting with the phone data connection, I'm thinking of doing that and using a two-output USB lighter for the power to the phones (or one to the less-used side), leaving the stock USB outlets for drives.

Screengrab:
HzJfdjf.png

The ever-handy Jon Osborne posted a video in which he took the console apart and tapped the lighter to put a second lighter outlet on the same bulkhead as the USBs. Until and unless Tesla does something interesting with the phone data connection, I'm thinking of doing that and using a two-output USB lighter for the power to the phones (or one to the less-used side), leaving the stock USB outlets for drives.
I'm going to wire my Aukey 12-volt to USB up to the front cell phone dock area using the method RPM Tesla did for their wireless install (once my angled micro-usb cable arrives this weekend). Will make it easy to convert that to wireless Qi fast charging in the future once I settle on something.

I'm going to wire my Aukey 12-volt to USB up to the front cell phone dock area using the method RPM Tesla did for their wireless install (once my angled micro-usb cable arrives this weekend). Will make it easy to convert that to wireless Qi fast charging in the future once I settle on something.

That is what I’m doing, I’ll get faster wireless charging because the front ports are painfully slow.

I think this is the best option currently. I plan to do something like this for my Nomad when it finally arrives, which will give me a backup front USB port for non wireless devices and 1 dedicated for the dash cam storage.

Does anyone know of a cigarette lighter / USB splitter that will fit in the 3 that will not interfere with the tray? I want to be able to do what that video shows with the USB but also still be able to have the cigarette lighter port. There are plenty of USB only adapters that will fit but I'm not sure if any combo adapters fit.

Something like this : Will this fit or is the plug too big for the tray?

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Te-...srs=13672506011&ie=UTF8&qid=1538282199&sr=8-2

71rqpGYjasL._SL1500_.jpg

Does anyone know of a cigarette lighter / USB splitter that will fit in the 3 that will not interfere with the tray? I want to be able to do what that video shows with the USB but also still be able to have the cigarette lighter port. There are plenty of USB only adapters that will fit but I'm not sure if any combo adapters fit.

Something like this : Will this fit or is the plug too big for the tray?

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Te-...srs=13672506011&ie=UTF8&qid=1538282199&sr=8-2

71rqpGYjasL._SL1500_.jpg
That's the one that I use... Fits great.

Also I have this hub with 2 thumb drives and they both play fine.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen