TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB Port Output

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TheAccuser, Oct 14, 2015.

1. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

Is there a difference with the output for the two USB ports? I feel like the USB port closest to the driver charges my iPhone 6S+ very slow. I haven't done any times tests yet. Does anyone know the specs of the USB ports?

2. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Here you go: Tesla Model S Fast Charging USB Port Hack - TESLARATI.com

Summary

I confirmed that both ports on my Model S charge at a rate of 1 amp, and not the 2.1/1 amp that some forum members (myself included) have previously reported. Actual measurements indicate that the PortaPow device is useless in the Model S. Skip it.
    My recommendation is to get a good USB car charger that’s capable of charging at the maximum 2.1A rate. You can pick up a decent charger for under $20 that will actually do the job.

3. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

Awesome info! Thanks for the link. I ordered this yesterday: Amazon.com: Car Charger, [Apple MFI Certified] 3.1A Lightning iPhone Car Charger with 3ft Lightning Cable for iPhone 6s, 6 / 6 Plus / 5s / 5, iPad Air 2 and more by eBuddies (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

4. JeffVanEpps

JeffVanEpps Member

Any info on charging rate from the phone mount USB port in the center console? My phone thinks it is charging but it seems to me like the rate might be 0 or even negative.