Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need help. After downloading my vehicle log file I found that the USB port in my Roadster 2.0 had cracked. I removed this piece of plastic from inside the USB drive shown in the picture below. How do I repair the port? Does anyone have a part number? Can I do it myself or do I have to take it to Tesla?

IMG_1166 (Edited).JPG

I was trying to get more information about Alert Code 1455 which has popped up a few times on OVMS. Can't find that one listed anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICON
You might be able to just superglue that piece back in -- it's worth a shot. I would use a USB cable that wasn't critical if it became damaged, put a couple of pieces of broken-off toothpick or something of similar size down inside the slot on the end of the USB plug so that your broken-off white piece won't slide all the way in, then put superglue on the end of the white piece and insert the plug assembly into the slot. Remember that the top surface of the USB plug faces toward the passenger seat.

In addition to what Slcasner said, note that one of the pins in the socket has +5 volt power on it, and you probably don't want it to short out against the socket's shell. If nothing else, putting the insulator back in will help protect that circuit. Just be careful not to bend / crush the pins that are in there. Good luck!

Remember that the top surface of the USB plug faces toward the passenger seat.
@slcasner and @gregd Thank you for your suggestions. Below is a picture of what port looks like.

Just be careful not to bend / crush the pins that are in there.
Perhaps some of the pins are already bent? Is it still fixable?

Can you give me step by step instructions? I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I've got a cable and a cut toothpick, but I can't tell where to glue the piece or if I need to do anything with the pins first. If it isn't fixable, can the whole port be replaced?

usb port.jpg

Hi ViviV. Yeah, the top three pins do look a bit mashed. They should all look like the bottom one. The plastic shim would be to the right of the pins, to support them. Here is what mine looks like:

Console USB port.jpg

I suppose it might be possible to use a pair of tweezers and pull out / straighten the mashed pins, but that's going to be tough given the logistics. I expect the 5v power will go away when the car goes to sleep, so open the car doors and wait for the pump to go off before sticking anything metal in there. Unfortunately, the top pin appears to be the one with +5v on it (USB - Wikipedia). Hopefully there wasn't any damage to the upstream electronics.

Even if you can straighten them, getting a good contact with the thumb drive connector will be iffy. Might be worth the try, but best bet is probably to replace the cable. Or, if you're handy with a soldering iron, unscrew the existing one and graft in a new end on it. At a minimum, I'd try to get that +5 pin away from the (presumably grounded) connector shell.

id take it out and see whats at the other end, you may just find a USB extension cable works for what you need. use a tooth pick to pry the pins away from the shell and make sure they are not touching each other. Then undo the 2 screws and have a look. take some pictures and as previously mentioned, graft on a USB plug to your wiring the colours are always the same.

id take it out and see whats at the other end, you may just find a USB extension cable works for what you need. use a tooth pick to pry the pins away from the shell and make sure they are not touching each other. Then undo

Agree with @X.l.r.8 it may be really easy to fix once you see what is on the other side of the panel.

I don't know what part Telsa uses. but, USB type A female connectors are common. This one from Mouser might work

692121030100 Wurth Electronics | Mouser

If you don't feel really confident about repairing the existing panel, you could splice on some wire and use this USB type A female breakout from Sparkfun

SparkFun USB Type A Female Breakout - BOB-12700 - SparkFun Electronics

Of course, you should definitely check with Tesla. The part might be really cheap and easy to get since it is such a common item.