Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB ports and Cigarette lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, do we know if these stay on once the car is locked and nobody is in the vehicle? I'm saying after the car goes to sleep.. do these ports still get power or does the power stop once the car knows nobody's in it? I keep a nice 1W dual USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter at all times, and I'm curious to know if it is pulling energy when nothing is plugged in. thx

Hey guys, do we know if these stay on once the car is locked and nobody is in the vehicle? I'm saying after the car goes to sleep.. do these ports still get power or does the power stop once the car knows nobody's in it? I keep a nice 1W dual USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter at all times, and I'm curious to know if it is pulling energy when nothing is plugged in. thx

Cigarette? Lighter? Seems I remember those on a car I had in the 50s.:smile:

I remember stopping for breakfast in central US. Asked to be seated in non smoking, so they put me at the next table to a smoker. Oh well. I'm glad they have decided on making power outlets instead of having a "lighter". I don't miss them.

I keep a nice 1W dual USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter...

I assume you mean the 12V outlet? It is not a cigarette lighter. Those are two very different things.

Many new cars these days do not come with a cigarette lighter as standard equipment and Tesla does not even offer an optional cigarette lighter in the Model S.

Don't mean to take this thread in a different direction but the OP has had his/her question answered by Johan. All power sources in the cabin turn off when the car turns off after you exit the car.

Last edited:
I assume you mean the 12V outlet? It is not a cigarette lighter. Those are two very different things.

Many new cars these days do not come with a cigarette lighter as standard equipment and Tesla does not even offer an optional cigarette lighter in the Model S.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and propose that the OP does actually know the difference and probably knows that it is in fact not a cigarette lighter. I'll guess that the OP doesn't even smoke and would have no need for a cigarette lighter even if it were a cigarette lighter.

Any of us who have been driving for any appreciable amount of time remember cigarette lighters in cars and remember what they looked like, and well, the term just sticks for some people, including myself, who call it the "cigarette lighter" even though I know it's a 12V outlet simply because it looks like a damn cigarette lighter...

They turn off.
TY sir

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna go out on a limb and propose that the OP does actually know the difference and probably knows that it is in fact not a cigarette lighter. I'll guess that the OP doesn't even smoke and would have no need for a cigarette lighter even if it were a cigarette lighter.

Any of us who have been driving for any appreciable amount of time remember cigarette lighters in cars and remember what they looked like, and well, the term just sticks for some people, including myself, who call it the "cigarette lighter" even though I know it's a 12V outlet simply because it looks like a damn cigarette lighter...
Yup- that pretty much sums it up.... including the ex-smoker part (I used to "smoke when I was drinking" but quit after college).... And I fully expected to get flack on the cig lighter reference :)

In my car the USB ports charge my phone when the car is off. The 12v is switched and turns off with the car.

Really, in my experience, they all shut off when the car is off.

Also, can anyone confirm if one of the USB ports does now charge at 2.1A and if so, which firmware upgrade did it? My recollection is it was the driver side port and as of something like 5.8.6.

Really, in my experience, they all shut off when the car is off.

Also, can anyone confirm if one of the USB ports does now charge at 2.1A and if so, which firmware upgrade did it? My recollection is it was the driver side port and as of something like 5.8.6.
I think ONE of the USB ports did increase in power output, but it still doesn't match my USB 12V charger.

The USB ports stays powered if the car is charging but if not charging it shuts off shortly after the car is turned off. Both USB ports had the same power output when I tested them.

I'm on software version 6.2 so things might have changed in the recent versions.