Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB ports are broken intermittently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else has USB ports that work, then break, then work again? Ever since the HW3 installation, I have a USB port issue where sometimes they work, and others they totally are dead and won't supply even power.

So far Tesla has replaced the wiring harness, and the USB module and the problem still persists.

What else could the issue stem from? I bought brand new Tesla USB stick and the problem persists. The only other component that could be bad is the HW3 brain itself or is there another computer that drives the infotainment?

Hi @Vines

I have seen a couple threads with people struggling with USB issues similar to what you describe. Someone recently posted about how they finally got it fixed after a year of SC visits. I think it turned out to be a bent pin somewhere in the HW3 install workflow, but may be mis remembering the exact details.

Here is the thread:

Reactions: Vines
Hi @Vines

I have seen a couple threads with people struggling with USB issues similar to what you describe. Someone recently posted about how they finally got it fixed after a year of SC visits. I think it turned out to be a bent pin somewhere in the HW3 install workflow, but may be mis remembering the exact details.

Here is the thread:

Thanks so much! I am going to elevate this and see what my service department says. I am hoping my experience will be similar, and from my experiences, with the Sunnyvale service department, I have no doubts. I literally sell and install Tesla products, hopefully they recognize an ally, who is always polite and flexible.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Well, the elevation happened, and there is no joy in my Tesla heart today.

I dropped my car off yesterday, and got a call from the service tech that night. There is no hardware issue according to Tesla, and they call this a firmware issue. This is a problem known to Tesla apparently. Though if they knew this was a problem, why am I paying for mobile service to come out and fix the wiring harness or USB module?

I was told literally that there is nothing I can even do to get this fixed except for making a new appointment "a few months from now" and see if they have a fix yet. Meantime, I have no USB music, cant play my video games when I want and I have no dashcam. I went from a strong Tesla supporter optimistic that if nothing else, money would fix this issue. Now I am extremely disappointed about this.

:(:(:mad:

Well, the elevation happened, and there is no joy in my Tesla heart today.

I dropped my car off yesterday, and got a call from the service tech that night. There is no hardware issue according to Tesla, and they call this a firmware issue. This is a problem known to Tesla apparently. Though if they knew this was a problem, why am I paying for mobile service to come out and fix the wiring harness or USB module?

I was told literally that there is nothing I can even do to get this fixed except for making a new appointment "a few months from now" and see if they have a fix yet. Meantime, I have no USB music, cant play my video games when I want and I have no dashcam. I went from a strong Tesla supporter optimistic that if nothing else, money would fix this issue. Now I am extremely disappointed about this.

:(:(:mad:

Update: TESLA JOY HAS RETURNED TO MY HEART!

Yesterday after several texts back and forth Tesla let me know they would be taking care of this issue for me by replacing the FSD computer! I had been patient, and respectful but firmly told them what I wanted as far as resolution. I asked them to either return the old working computer, replace the current computer or complete the "Firmware update" they said would fix it.
I was told that "Engineering has the final say" and I just kept asking for what I wanted, being kind, patient and respectful.

It's amazing what a little kindness brings.

Thank you Tesla! Merry Christmas!!

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
"patient, and respectfully insistent" Is a great tact in general (one I have used throughout my life to deal with customer service issues). I know how well it works on me (as someone who has either provided or managed people who provide customer service for most of my life).

I am really happy that you appear to now have a path forward on this. Thanks for the follow up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Vines
Update: TESLA JOY HAS RETURNED TO MY HEART!

Yesterday after several texts back and forth Tesla let me know they would be taking care of this issue for me by replacing the FSD computer! I had been patient, and respectful but firmly told them what I wanted as far as resolution. I asked them to either return the old working computer, replace the current computer or complete the "Firmware update" they said would fix it.
I was told that "Engineering has the final say" and I just kept asking for what I wanted, being kind, patient and respectful.

It's amazing what a little kindness brings.

Thank you Tesla! Merry Christmas!!
I'm a little confused how replacing the FSD computer is going to fix the firmware issue if their new FSD computer comes with the same firmware version? Did you confirm with them if the new FSD computer comes with a new firmware? If so, why can't they just flash your existing FSD computer with said firmware? Something is off here and I fear this will not fix your problem.

I'm a little confused how replacing the FSD computer is going to fix the firmware issue if their new FSD computer comes with the same firmware version? Did you confirm with them if the new FSD computer comes with a new firmware? If so, why can't they just flash your existing FSD computer with said firmware? Something is off here and I fear this will not fix your problem.
I have had every other part of the USB system replaced. The USB module is replaced, the wiring between module and the FSD computer is also replaced.

I suspect that "A firmware update" was their way of trying to tell me "It's a software issue" to go away and forget this issue. I cannot say more about what is actually wrong with my FSD computer except that others have had this exact issue, and the computer resolves it. There is nothing else to replace except the computer.

Reactions: .Slug

Tesla uses different parts sometimes, so its possible that the new computer board has a different USB chipset on it than the one thats on @Vines car currently. Thats speculation, but definitely possible.

I believe thats one reason why firmware updates tend to be spread out so much amongst the fleet, because there are minor revisions etc in parts used that may need different drivers, etc etc.

The people who have reported the problem that @Vines experienced, in the way they experienced it, have gotten resolution from a changed FSD computer. In one case, I believe it was a bent pin in the install, which was found when they went to install another one (I may be paraphrasing that a bit).

Reactions: .Slug
For people with USB Data Port issues who stumble upon this thread:
  • I have an early 2021 Model X.
  • My two USB data ports apparently (based on last recorded security videos) stopped working around December 24, 2021.
  • No more security (DashCam or Sentry Mode) video; no more music (from iPod). (Plus no more charging at just those two ports.)
  • The other two USB power ports were fine; the two 12v power ports were fine.
  • Due to that timing, I suspected the Holiday firmware update.
  • Visit in January by mobile repair tech did nothing. He was given the wrong part (black plastic support that holds the two USB data ports?) and said he couldn't take apart of the center console anyway. Service Center visit scheduled for February.
  • After two months, service center visit succeeded. They said that wires running down the side of the center console are often overly tight (from the factory) and can become detached (at wire connectors) due to normal road vibrations. Service techs rearranged the connection wires to provide a little slack, reconnected the wire connectors, and everything is fine (so far).
  • This repair may apply only to 'Legacy' (or "Classic") Models X (and S). Not sure if the cause and repair will apply to Models 3 and Y.