Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB ports not what user manual says! [RESOLVED]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used 2021 Model Y, manufacture date 10/2020.

I thought they had a USB port in glove box, but I could not find any or it's well hidden.

I have two ports in the forward center console, a USB-C and a USB-A.

Also, two USB-C ports in the rear but I'm sure they are for charging only.

Don't know what to use for dashcam or my USB music.

I thought they had a USB port in glove box, but I could not find any or it's well hidden.

if you don't have a glovebox usb port, you could get one of the hubs that lets you hide away the dash cam drive.
I got this one and have had no issues with it for my Model 3 - there are a couple of versions specifically for the Model Y though.

Reactions: leenanj
OK I thought all Model Y's had the USB in the glovebox for dashcam,
Anybody got a picture of the USB in the glovebox, is it hidden behind the glovebox?
Can't Tesla make up their minds about the USB ports! lol

If your Model Y does not have the refreshed center console then there is a USB-C port for power and a USB 3.0 data port located beneath the wireless charging pad. There are also two rear facing USB-C ports behind the center console. The USB 3.0 data port is intended for Dashcam and Sentry mode video, can also be used for USB music. The other USB-C ports in your pre-refresh center console Model Y are only for power/charging devices and do not support data.

For Dashcam and Sentry mode, for best reliability and long life of the memory storage, use only Endurance type microSD cards. You can use a Samsung Pro Endurance microSD card or a Sandisk High Endurance or Sandisk Max Endurance microSD card. 128GB or 256GB will provide plenty of storage for Dashcam and Sentry mode use (the 128GB can store 17 hours and the 256 GB can store 34 hours of Tesla saved video clips.) Sandisk sells a MobileMate USB card reader. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader is also sold as a bundle with the Sandisk High Endurance or Sandisk Max Endurance microSD card. That is all you need for Dashcam and Sentry mode video in your Model Y. Some prefer to use an SSD storage drive such as the Samsung T7.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I have a 2021 MYLR, and my glove box USB port is in the upper left corner. Here it is with the original flash drive in it:
IMG_0893.jpg

If your Model Y does not have the refreshed center console then there is a USB-C port for power and a USB 3.0 data port located beneath the wireless charging pad. There are also two rear facing USB-C ports behind the center console. The USB 3.0 data port is intended for Dashcam and Sentry mode video, can also be used for USB music. The other USB-C ports in your pre-refresh center console Model Y are only for power/charging devices and do not support data.

For Dashcam and Sentry mode, for best reliability and long life of the memory storage, use only Endurance type microSD cards. You can use a Samsung Pro Endurance microSD card or a Sandisk High Endurance or Sandisk Max Endurance microSD card. 128GB or 256GB will provide plenty of storage for Dashcam and Sentry mode use (the 128GB can store 17 hours and the 256 GB can store 34 hours of Tesla saved video clips.) Sandisk sells a MobileMate USB card reader. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader is also sold as a bundle with the Sandisk High Endurance or Sandisk Max Endurance microSD card. That is all you need for Dashcam and Sentry mode video in your Model Y. Some prefer to use an SSD storage drive such as the Samsung T7.
Thanks, you are spot on, after experimenting, this is exactly what my Y has. My Model 3 had two USB ports that supported data, but I will have to make do with just the one in the Y. If I use an SSD partitioned into 4 drives will the Y recognize all four?

Thanks, you are spot on, after experimenting, this is exactly what my Y has. My Model 3 had two USB ports that supported data, but I will have to make do with just the one in the Y. If I use an SSD partitioned into 4 drives will the Y recognize all four?
I'm don't know the limit of the number of partitions. You should probably use exFAT when you format the partitions. The Tesla owner's manual states that only exFAT is supported for Dashcam and Sentry mode.

To save and retrieve video footage, Model Y requires a USB flash drive formatted as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported). For use with Dashcam and Sentry Mode, the flash drive must contain a base-level folder called TeslaCam.

Also, the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual has been updated and reformatted.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla