Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 6 day old M3LR and twice now I have gotten the alert "Dashcam USB drive is too small - Use drive larger than 32GB"
The first time it appeared I erased the dashcam files and formatted the drive. 5 days went by and it was back again today. I don't use sentry mode at all and I have the Tesla provided USB drive installed in the glove box. Since the USB drive from Tesla is supposed to be 128GB why am I receiving this alert?
I asked the mobile service guy today when he was here installing the Homelink module and he had no idea.

funny i had my homelink installed yesterday after waiting 2 weeks after i got my new car.

anyway, i saw this error also one time and have not seen it since. what firmware are you on?

i bought 2 256gb usb drives from samsung, which are re branded tesla drives

i think it may be a firmware bug. i would do the two thumb salute ( reset the screen/computer) and see if it comes back. again i only saw it once (ive a 256 gb drive mind you) and have not seen it since in two weeks of owing my 2/2022 m3p.

Upvote 0
I have a 6 day old M3LR and twice now I have gotten the alert "Dashcam USB drive is too small - Use drive larger than 32GB"
The first time it appeared I erased the dashcam files and formatted the drive. 5 days went by and it was back again today. I don't use sentry mode at all and I have the Tesla provided USB drive installed in the glove box. Since the USB drive from Tesla is supposed to be 128GB why am I receiving this alert?
I asked the mobile service guy today when he was here installing the Homelink module and he had no idea.
Had the same and swapped for a 265GB flash. Still have to reformat from time to time. Get a notification that USB not reading yet video is recording and playing back.

Upvote 0
funny i had my homelink installed yesterday after waiting 2 weeks after i got my new car.

anyway, i saw this error also one time and have not seen it since. what firmware are you on?

i bought 2 256gb usb drives from samsung, which are re branded tesla drives

i think it may be a firmware bug. i would do the two thumb salute ( reset the screen/computer) and see if it comes back. again i only saw it once (ive a 256 gb drive mind you) and have not seen it since in two weeks of owing my 2/2022 m3p.

I think its some sort of firmware bug too. I saw that same error this Op mentions, on my wifes new Model YP. I was already planning to swap the included USb stick with a microSD card and adapter (the same combo that has been on my car for 3+ years with no issues), so I removed the tesla provided usb and put in the one I was planning to swap to anyway.

I havent seen the error since. Her model YP is still on the "factory" firmware. Its a V11 variant but it is 2022.3.101.1.

TL ; DR .. I consider this a standard "tesla firmware bug" type thing, but thats unfortunate since it happens with the USB that tesla provides.

Upvote 0