Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Splitter for Dash Cam & charging dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I did notice was the charge rate with the “Y” was only 100mah, with the USB hub 500mah, direct 1200mah. I now use the hub to support the music drives and the left charger. The right port has the “Y” and runs the dash cam and a portable battery pack. The low charge rate is not an issue since it is always plugged in unless needed when leaving the car. I also have a dual port USB in the cigarette plug with a cable on it for the passengers to charge while using their phones. It charges at 1200mah.

Good to know the Y doesn't work with iphone. @Nikola M3 are you using iphone or android with your Y?

Also, I only had the "x" camera icon the one time, perhaps it was a fluke.

After having gotten the same Y Cable, it also doesn't "fast charge" an android device. Plugging my Note 8 directly in the port gives me about a 2 hour charge time. Using the Y causes it reduce to about 4-6 hours. Definitely don't recommend the Y option.

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JTSMVQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A2KPNEXL6BZSWW&th=1

After having gotten the same Y Cable, it also doesn't "fast charge" an android device. Plugging my Note 8 directly in the port gives me about a 2 hour charge time. Using the Y causes it reduce to about 4-6 hours. Definitely don't recommend the Y option.

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JTSMVQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A2KPNEXL6BZSWW&th=1
I

I did consider that one, however it is only USB 2.0 and wasn't sure how well it would download dashcam video or read music from a usb that has several gigs of music so i opted not to. give it a try and let us know! It's cheap enough!

Great success! Got mines this afternoon from Amazon.

I can confirm that it was able to record dashcam video (red recording icon) and used as a USB music drive (same drive formatted as two partitions) while charging my work iPhone.

20181125_204300.jpg

I had also tested the USB splitter option which kinda works for my personal Note 8, but it charges slower. Splitter and USB hub in action. I don't recommend the splitter option at all and kind of considered it now a waste of money. Just stick with the hub.
20181125_204354.jpg

I

I did consider that one, however it is only USB 2.0 and wasn't sure how well it would download dashcam video or read music from a usb that has several gigs of music so i opted not to. give it a try and let us know! It's cheap enough!

It actually has a USB3.0 port at the top, but unfortunately unless your flashdrive is low profile, it wont fit and it would be difficult to unplug without taking the whole hub out.
20181125_203951.jpg

Hey guys....I'm getting more confused the more I read. Okay here's my scoop, got the car Friday. I have a Nomad on back order since mid-October, I assume I'll get the one without battery when it delivers in a week or so. I would like to do the following:

1. Plug in the Nomad such that it can wirelessly charge two iPhone X's. One of the iPhones would be connected via Bluetooth for calls. I think I read somewhere that the new Nomad only uses one USB port, is that correct?
2. Use a Flashdrive for the Dash Cam.
3. Leave an iPod in the car attached to something that will keep it charged.....and either run it through USB plug or through Bluetooth. You may ask, why use an iPod when you have the phone......I have a crap load of music on my iPod, so it's easier just to not use up all my phone memory.

Tell me if I'm on the right path.....

I could plug the Nomad into one flash drive, say on left.
I could purchase a USB hub as listed by the OP:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20
Then plug a USB 3.0 flash drive into a data port on this hub, and plug my iPod into the charging/data port on the hub. My iPod would show up on the flat screen, but as I understand it, the integration with iPod is pretty bad.

Would this work?

Great success! Got mines this afternoon from Amazon.

I can confirm that it was able to record dashcam video (red recording icon) and used as a USB music drive (same drive formatted as two partitions) while charging my work iPhone.

View attachment 355497

I had also tested the USB splitter option which kinda works for my personal Note 8, but it charges slower. Splitter and USB hub in action. I don't recommend the splitter option at all and kind of considered it now a waste of money. Just stick with the hub.
View attachment 355496

It actually has a USB3.0 port at the top, but unfortunately unless your flashdrive is low profile, it wont fit and it would be difficult to unplug without taking the whole hub out.
View attachment 355494
I purchased this same USB hub while awaiting my Nomad. Do you find that it charges your Note8 quickly? Also, since you are using the USB 2.0 port on the side for your DashCam instead of the 3.0 slot on the top, wouldn't you do just as well with a 2. 0 hub?

I purchased this same USB hub while awaiting my Nomad. Do you find that it charges your Note8 quickly? Also, since you are using the USB 2.0 port on the side for your DashCam instead of the 3.0 slot on the top, wouldn't you do just as well with a 2. 0 hub?

I have not yet checked charging speeds, but I will do some testing tonight for you. A USB 2.0 hub would probably be fine but the USB3.0 standard allows for higher charge rates. Whether or not that is allowed in the USB 2.0 hub would make me default to the 3.0 port whenever given the option.

I just did some research and someone mentioned the ports are capable of providing up to 4.8A (depending if 1 or both USB ports are used). I just ordered this with ETA Thursday so I'll report more when I get a chance.

Reactions: wtwieder
Hey guys....I'm getting more confused the more I read. Okay here's my scoop, got the car Friday. I have a Nomad on back order since mid-October, I assume I'll get the one without battery when it delivers in a week or so. I would like to do the following:

1. Plug in the Nomad such that it can wirelessly charge two iPhone X's. One of the iPhones would be connected via Bluetooth for calls. I think I read somewhere that the new Nomad only uses one USB port, is that correct?
2. Use a Flashdrive for the Dash Cam.
3. Leave an iPod in the car attached to something that will keep it charged.....and either run it through USB plug or through Bluetooth. You may ask, why use an iPod when you have the phone......I have a crap load of music on my iPod, so it's easier just to not use up all my phone memory.

Tell me if I'm on the right path.....

I could plug the Nomad into one flash drive, say on left.
I could purchase a USB hub as listed by the OP:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20
Then plug a USB 3.0 flash drive into a data port on this hub, and plug my iPod into the charging/data port on the hub. My iPod would show up on the flat screen, but as I understand it, the integration with iPod is pretty bad.

Would this work?

Why not just take the ipod out of the equation altogether and use a usb flash drive for your music? this seems to be what everyone is doing.

Last edited:
I have not yet checked charging speeds, but I will do some testing tonight for you. A USB 2.0 hub would probably be fine but the USB3.0 standard allows for higher charge rates. Whether or not that is allowed in the USB 2.0 hub would make me default to the 3.0 port whenever given the option.

I just did some research and someone mentioned the ports are capable of providing up to 4.8A (depending if 1 or both USB ports are used). I just ordered this with ETA Thursday so I'll report more when I get a chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results and how they compare with the hub i purchased. i noticed little difference when my iphone 7 was plugged directly into the tesla usb port and when it was plugged into the hub, using this tester

Has anyone tried this?

I just tried this hub with my Note8 and DashCam Flash Drive. It charged my phone about half as fast as it could have charged when plugged directly into the car's USB port. I got the same slow charging even if the phone was charging via the hub's 3.0 port. So a hub like this doesn't seem to perform any better than a splitter for charging a Note8. I intend to get a Nomad wireless charger but expect it also may slow charge a Note8 if a splitter or any unpowered hub is used,. Yet Nomad says you can even use two splitters, one with each of the cars USB ports They say you could have a flash drive for music plugged into one splitter while having a DashCam drive plugged into the other spltter. The Nomad's two wires would occupy the other ports of the splitter. However, I wonder if the power to the Nomad and its charging speed becomes hampered by sharing ports with flash drives.

Last edited:
The Nomad's two wires would occupy the other ports of the splitter. However, I wonder if the power to the Nomad and its charging speed becomes hampered by sharing ports with flash drives.

Waiting for the device to arrive, but I do have a friend with a Nomad (he says he was sent the battery version but there's no way to check it actually has a battery easily). I'll report findings once I have them (may take some time due to RL plans).

20's and they're actually much more vulnerable than the 18's/19s.

My post on the subject here: Performance Upgrade Price Change!
I hit this at 25 mph.

The visibility right as I hit it. Still need to call the city about the outrageous-ness of the non-illuminated bumps.

Wow, i mean, I'd normally avoid hitting those the best I could anyway, but i would not think they'd bend a wheel, especially at that speed. Crazy

I received the dreaded "x" camera icon for my dashcam. i know many people have had issues with their flash drive when plugged directly into the usb port, so i am not sure if this is a flash drive issue, or an issue with the splitter. Would like to know if @Nikola M3 or @Wahbash encounter similar issues.

PS ...I'm still having this issue intermittently with the use of the hub. I can't really figure out why.

PS ...I'm still having this issue intermittently with the use of the hub. I can't really figure out why.

I have only had the issue once, that required a reformat. I'm assuming you guys pulled out your flash drive after it occurring and reformatted it? I wonder if size/file system (FAT vs. FAT32) has any impact on its behavior. I did find a lot of the uncompleted videos as leftover files so maybe as those build it it can cause corruption as well.

View attachment 355494

I really didn't like how far it sticks out, so u returned it and got this little thing instead:
Seternaly Mini USB Hub 2.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGQRWH9

Looks pretty good and uncluttered, and it lasts flat against the front wall so it doesn't get in the way of anything I store in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20190110_180625.jpg
    IMG_20190110_180625.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 238
I really didn't like how far it sticks out, so u returned it and got this little thing instead:
Seternaly Mini USB Hub 2.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGQRWH9

Looks pretty good and uncluttered, and it lasts flat against the front wall so it doesn't get in the way of anything I store in there.

Not a bad little device either, i like it, there seems to be several workable options out there from Amazon.

Further update on my OP: I'm no longer having issues with the camera "X" icon. I'm not sure if it is because of a recent Tesla update or something else. Previously, i would have to remove the drive, connect to my laptop and reformat. However the last time it posted the "X" icon, it cleared itself....idk, but working ever since, that was roughly a month ago.

I have a Jeda v2 wireless charging pad on order and want to buy 2 splitters so that I can add a usb stick to each side, one for teslacam and a separate one for thumbdrive music. I will be charging iPhones most of the time. Can anyone recommend splitter cables that will achieve this and meet the charging rates required for iPhone charging.