Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stick cannot be found after 2020.12.5 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See attached photo, no USB button

Attachments

• 20200413_180203 (002).jpg
    20200413_180203 (002).jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 103
I had the Tesla mobile technician here upgrading my X to HW3 a few weeks ago and he mentioned that my USB stick was reporting errors (he could see from his plugged-in laptop diagnostics). I've already had two other USB drives die: my understanding is that they will all eventually die because each cell is only rated for a few write cycles before it croaks and the Tesla writes a ton of data to the USB. He suggested I just bite the bullet and install a Samsung T5 500GB SSD.

Was around $90 - and using a USB SSD has been superb. It fits nicely in the console with the USB cable that is shipped with the SSD, tucked in behind the cupholders so is a perfect fit. No more messing around - now my USB videos just work.

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and Hebert
I had the Tesla mobile technician here upgrading my X to HW3 a few weeks ago and he mentioned that my USB stick was reporting errors (he could see from his plugged-in laptop diagnostics). I've already had two other USB drives die: my understanding is that they will all eventually die because each cell is only rated for a few write cycles before it croaks and the Tesla writes a ton of data to the USB. He suggested I just bite the bullet and install a Samsung T5 500GB SSD.

Was around $90 - and using a USB SSD has been superb. It fits nicely in the console with the USB cable that is shipped with the SSD, tucked in behind the cupholders so is a perfect fit. No more messing around - now my USB videos just work.
Tried with 2-3 different usable and working USB stick - no success

I bought a 4 foot USB-C cable and routed it from the USB port forward. Under the console's rubber mat and out the small hole in the left and right upper inside corner of the console out and under the cubby. Up under the right side trim into the corner of the glove box. Placed the drive in there and now when even valet mode is on, the glove box is locked. No one notices its there and out of sight. Think about it.

I had dual partitioned my Samsung SSD. One day it was there. Next two days it was gone mysteriously despite re-sets, re-seats, drive fixing, etc. 4th day it was back all by itself thru its own self-resetting-- or blind software update? (btw this audio system is simply magnificent if you're using a great quality audio source!)

I took the memory stick out after it quit working in 2020.12.5. When I got the 2020.12.10 update, I put the memory stick back in and it is working. I assumed the quick turnaround on 2020.12.10 was to fix this issue, but based on the reply just above mine, that assumption could be wrong and mine might have worked sooner if I kept trying or left it in.

I took the memory stick out after it quit working in 2020.12.5. When I got the 2020.12.10 update, I put the memory stick back in and it is working. I assumed the quick turnaround on 2020.12.10 was to fix this issue, but based on the reply just above mine, that assumption could be wrong and mine might have worked sooner if I kept trying or left it in.
I've had 2020.12.5 since April 10. Still doesn't see my USB stick.......so I'll wait for 2020.12.10