Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stick & screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The screen shut down yesterday morning and would not respond to holding the two buttons down, so I borrowed wife's Subaru and made it to my appointment. When I got back, I tapped the key card to the right spot, and the car unlocked & the screen turned on ... so I thought it was now OK. Went out later, unlocked with phone ... and the screen stayed black an didn't respond to the reboot, so I called roadside service, they called a tow service, and the car went 82 miles to Milwaukee. Guess what? When the USB stick (several terabytes worth, IIRC) fills up, the screen ceases to function. True, it warned me that it was full ... but no warnings about how catastrophic that'd be.

I mentioned this on my FB page, and friends (who are software geeks) immediately called it out as inadequate testing and bad software design.

Will they send the car back to me? Not a chance. (at least they haven't - so far - charged me for the tow). Now I have to get myself to Milwaukee, to a location near no public transportation at all, and snow's predicted.

I am not best pleased. You? Be forewarned.

I don't understand... What multi-Terabyte USB stick fills up, with what?

Per p. 84 of the manual,

First, I was wrong about the size, for it was a mere 57.3 GB.
Second, the manual;'s clearly wrong, for Tesla's service report says:
"Upon reviewing logs at time stamps provided by owner technician found that times of occurrences corresponded with USB drive
full error messages. Technician found that USB is passed usable limit and should be replaced with larger drive to prevent
occurrences from happening again."

I had read the manual (of course, because I buy into RTFM), and believed it.

So I have a 115 GB stick (which claims to be 128GB), so 2X larger ought to work ... and that's going into the car and I will purge old camera stuff now & then.

Sounds like your USB flash drive had some boot or system executable files on it. They have been known for a long time to prevent our cars from booting back up properly. And people reporting this problem have stated they didn't put or format their flash drive with boot/system files on them. How they can get there has been a mystery.

Maybe this is the same thing. Maybe it is not. Just sharing that we have heard "sort of this problem" before.

Sorry for the difficulty you had.

Sounds like your USB flash drive had some boot or system executable files on it. They have been known for a long time to prevent our cars from booting back up properly. And people reporting this problem have stated they didn't put or format their flash drive with boot/system files on them. How they can get there has been a mystery.

Maybe this is the same thing. Maybe it is not. Just sharing that we have heard "sort of this problem" before.

Sorry for the difficulty you had.

It is distinctly possible that, when I formatted it in the proper FAT32, that I didn't succeed in creating the correct file for storing the video data. When I got home I did some snooping, and learned that the security section allows one to format a USB stick when inserted. Doing so re-formats it, naming it TESLADRIVE, & creates the appropriate TeslaCam folder as well. I'd call that 'idiotproof'.

Reactions: Akikiki