Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front USB stopped working this morning. They were working well last night. I got videos from sentry mode on the dashcam this morning but then realised my phone wasn’t charging as usual. Only unusual thing that happened is that the sentry mode stopped because of low battery but it has done that before without issue.
i have a sd card in one slot and a usb hub on the other one including a controller and the Taptes wireless charger. It worked well for the past 10 months without issue.
i tried several resets with the two joysticks. Also with keeping the brake pedal pushed down for 20s. I can’t get it back to work.
i saw similar issues on other posts but no real solution I haven’t tried.
any idea?

Also with keeping the brake pedal pushed down for 20s.
FYI, the addition of the brake pedal to Touchscreen Restart (what Tesla calls the double thumbwheel reboot) has been repeatedly shown to make no difference.

The process that @jjrandorin mentions above is the Power Cycling the Vehicle which can be found on Page 52 of the North American manual (not sure where it is in your regional manual):

Power Cycle.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I did the power cycling a few times a the joysticks but it does not come back to normal. My hub still lights up on the back USB ports.
any other resets to do? Any software update?
I’m in uK with the latest version 2021.4.15

I didnt see you say you powered off as we recommended ( which is not the same power off as "power cycling with the joysticks". So I will ask again. did you power the car OFF in the manner that I and @Kevy Baby recommended?

Sorry I mistyped
I did both the power cycling and the joysticks reset multiple times. For the power cycling we can clearly hear the car turning off everything after exactly two minutes. I waited about one more minute every time but the USB still don’t work.

Sorry I mistyped
I did both the power cycling and the joysticks reset multiple times. For the power cycling we can clearly hear the car turning off everything after exactly two minutes. I waited about one more minute every time but the USB still don’t work.

Then there isnt anything else you can do other than make a service appointment (and make sure you remove any and all USB hub devices when you take it in so tesla does not tell you that "USB hubs are not supported, per the manual, so this is not covered".

I tried reboots...
When you report it to Tesla Service, it helps the process if you use their terms (from the European version of the Model 3 manual)
  • The double joystick reboot is "Restarting the Touchscreen" (see page 57)
  • The Power Cycle (enacted from the touch screen) is "Power Cycling the Vehicle" (see page 58)
Any time you reference that you've looked in the manual, they realize you really have taken steps to isolate the problem (otherwise their default is to assume otherwise)

• Love
Thanks for the advice. I’ll brief them when I meet them. I managed to get a service next Saturday but updating the text makes me lose one week !
Hopefully they can fix it quickly and free of charge

Should be free of charge. Just dont mention anything about plugging a hub into it, and make sure the hub is not plugged in when you go. Only have regular thumb drives plugged into the ports if anything. Before you or anyone else says "but hubs work fine!" I am not disputing that. I am just stating that, if you have a hub connected, that COULD be a reason for tesla to say " here is your problem", so dont give them that opportunity.

Reactions: GtiMart
I had this issue as well. My SSD worked fine for months along with a 32GB card and then stopped working. I could not reformat in the car so did so on my PC. Still could not get viewer to launch though I was getting notices of sentry events (could not get them to play). So I purchased a new USB reader and when I inserted that, I got a notice that my 32GB was not sufficient. I then ordered a 128GB microSD card and it now works fine. Best I can tell is that Tesla increased the minimum memory requirement for the Sentry.

Hi all
I had the Tesla service to change the whole usb front hub free of charge. I managed to get an appointment for the next week. They even paid me Uber vouchers so I could get back home and then to pick up the car a few hours later.
i am really happy with the service.
still unclear what caused the usb to fail. They told me it was not usual. Probably my usb hub with too many things connected. I’ll turn off the ports I don’t need from now on.
thanks everyone for all the great advice

Hi all
I had the Tesla service to change the whole usb front hub free of charge. I managed to get an appointment for the next week. They even paid me Uber vouchers so I could get back home and then to pick up the car a few hours later.
still unclear what caused the usb to fail. They told me it was not usual. Probably my usb hub with too many things connected. I’ll turn off the ports I don’t need from now on.

Appreciate you closing the loop on this. Glad you got it fixed.

Hi all
Great