Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Storage Full Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
So I just got a message that my thumb drive is almost full, and that I should delete some files.
What happens if I don't? Will it automatically write over older files, or stop recording completely?
thanks

So I just got a message that my thumb drive is almost full, and that I should delete some files.
What happens if I don't? Will it automatically write over older files, or stop recording completely?
thanks

It will overwrite, but flash storage in general tends to get slower as it gets near full which might cause it to stop or miss recording some things.

Really no good reason not to clean it out regularly.... I'm running a 128GB stick and clean it out about once a quarter (it's usually 1/2-3/4 full at that point)

Mines been working fine for over 2 years now long as I clean it out every 3-4 months.... 128GB version of the Samsung USB stick Tesla recommends in the owners manual.

SSDs draw more power, have narrower rated environmental temps, and take up significantly more space-- all to provide a bunch of extra speed the system doesn't need (and being USB2.0 can't even use)

The one time they really make any sense is if you have a MASSIVE music collection since the price on USB sticks spikes a ton after 256 MB

I have 16GB thumb drives in my 2 Tesla. One of them lasted about 1.5 years (replaced with another 16GB), the other 2 years so far. They seem to be working fine for dash cam. When I get back to the car if the car looks alright, I just delete the sentry mode clips so it never gets full. Recently both Tesla got the "warning" saying that the drive is too small. I just kind of ignore it. When they fail, I will get a bigger drive.

I wish it would automatically overwrite sentry files. I just got the warning too. I just usually just format it and move on.

Although you should double check that dashcam is working again you format it. I had to remove and reinsert the drive and reformat it again to get the dashcam to come back.

I wish it would automatically overwrite sentry files. I just got the warning too. I just usually just format it and move on.

Although you should double check that dashcam is working again you format it. I had to remove and reinsert the drive and reformat it again to get the dashcam to come back.

It DOES automatically overwrite sentry files as it fills up.

It does NOT overwrite saved files.

Either way one should clean the drive out regularly, as it won't even delete sentry ones until it's close enough to full to potentially impact performance.

I don't believe that is the case. I don't save files so I shouldn't be getting that warning, but I have a few times. It would be nice if they provided a way to delete all sentry files without having to format it periodically.

I don't believe that is the case

It is.

It's in the owners manual- page 74 I believe.

. I don't save files so I shouldn't be getting that warning, but I have a few times. It would be nice if they provided a way to delete all sentry files without having to format it periodically.

It only deletes sentry files when it gets close to full- but it will then do so to avoid filling to the point it can't be used at all- still bad for performance (and likely life of the drive) to leave it that full though.

Also- if you don't save files- why would you care about formatting it periodically? Doing so would appear to do exactly the thing you want.

Hi, I drive a model 3 since 2 months. I'm wondering HOW to select and remove all the recordings. Is that possible in the car or do I have to remove the stick and put it in a computer?

I didn't realize until today that you can re-format it right from the car now. Don't know when they added that feature...I imagine everyone else already knew, but I figured I'd post just in case anyone was in the same boat I was.
I think it was in the settings under Safety and Security, then scroll all the way down.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
I have a 256GB SanDisk micro SSD partitioned into a Music drive (140GB) and Tesla drive (100GB) which works great. The Tesla drive fills up in about 2 months and I get the warning to Format or Delete the files. I tried the Format once, it removed the partition and all of my music was deleted. So, now I have to pull the SSD and delete the files on my PC which is pretty quick, but I still have to do this manually.

It will also probably fail at some point, I never had one last more than a few months. Recommend getting an SSD drive, works so much better.
I had two 256 GB flash drives that worked flawlessly for 16 months. The ONLY reason I replaced them was space: my music collection outgrew the 256 so I stepped up to a 1TB Samsung T5, partitioned into two 500GB volumes: one for music and one for Cam.

Other than space, SSDs are overkill

Other than space, SSDs are overkill

Most usb sticks are not made for the constant writing the dash cam does and they usually fail within a year or two. SSDs are made for the heavy amount of writing. There are usb sticks that can take the writing load but you need to check their specs. lots of cheap, counterfeit and fake sticks being sold.

Reactions: sduck
Most usb sticks are not made for the constant writing the dash cam does and they usually fail within a year or two.

How many times we gonna debunk this one?

The car simply does not write that much.

The "dedicated camera recording heavy duty" stuff is expecting to be recording multiple 4k 60 fps video streams.

The car records 30 fps at 720.

Any decent flash memory ought to be good for 5-10 years with average use and its normal rated life.

lots of cheap, counterfeit and fake sticks being sold.

Sure- if you get a fake samsung with who knows what in it you might have issues.

But it's not like there's not cheap/fake SSDs out there too.

Buy a reputable product from a reputable vendor- and there's various tools out there to help you check the product when it arrives by all means use one. but putting the drive into use in the car.