Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB thumb drives no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple of thumb drives full of MP3 and some FLAC files that I’ve used for about a year in my S75D. There’s never been the slightest problem. Now, neither is recognized in either front USB port. I’ve rebooted the MCU to no avail.
My software version is 2020.12.5, but I’m not sure when this started because I haven’t driven it much since early March. It could have started with 2020.8.

Any suggestions?

I think your title is slightly misleading as the problem isn't that it's not recognizing USB drive, it's a bug that it can't see music. Sentry/ dashcam can still read/write from USB drive. Search for 2020.12.5 as it seems many have your same issue. Hopefully the next update fixes it. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
I think your title is slightly misleading as the problem isn't that it's not recognizing USB drive, it's a bug that it can't see music. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, but you're incorrect about the title of the post. The title is not misleading. When the properly formatted thumb drives are inserted, "USB" does not even appear as an option in Music. As stated, the thumb drives are no longer recognized.
I certainly hope that you're correct about this being a bug in the current software. Before my post, I did do searches but found nothing about my particular problem.

I have a couple of thumb drives full of MP3 and some FLAC files that I’ve used for about a year in my S75D. There’s never been the slightest problem. Now, neither is recognized in either front USB port. I’ve rebooted the MCU to no avail.
My software version is 2020.12.5, but I’m not sure when this started because I haven’t driven it much since early March. It could have started with 2020.8.

Any suggestions?

Youre correct! 2020.12.5 killed my USB recognition too. I got .12.5 yesterday and it was working the day before. I cannot see my USB drive. Unplugged, replugged, nothing.

I know I'm in the S forum but I have a 2017 Model X with MCU1 AP2.5 2020.12.5 and I don't listen to music BUT my thumb drive does work for sentry mode/dash cam. It recognizes my thumb drive with the dashcam and NEW sentry mode icon shown. Is everyone w/ MCU1 on this thread saying the USB not working for dashcam also?

A lot of people also had FAT32 and had files moved around. Reformatting the drive solved those issues go forward. There are multiple issues but they did play with the drive formats that used to accepted and are not accepted. There are very likely multiple other coding issues producing multiple types of errors.