Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB thumb drives no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an observation. I have the conservative "standard" update settings on both my cars. It seems my MCU1 car skipped all the broken USB versions. The car was on 2020.4.1 and saying it is up to date until today, when 2020.11.5 came. So it would seem the USB was only broken for customers choosing to run bleeding edge test releases. I am pleasantly surprised as it seems Tesla is maturing, allowing those who want to test software for Tesla to do so, while recognizing that some customers prefer more stable releases. :)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just an observation. I have the conservative "standard" update settings on both my cars. It seems my MCU1 car skipped all the broken USB versions. The car was on 2020.4.1 and saying it is up to date until today, when 2020.11.5 came. So it would seem the USB was only broken for customers choosing to run bleeding edge test releases. I am pleasantly surprised as it seems Tesla is maturing, allowing those who want to test software for Tesla to do so, while recognizing that some customers prefer more stable releases. :)

So they should relabel the advanced button to guinea pig?

So they should relabel the advanced button to guinea pig?
I think Elon called it Advanced to make the voluntary test fleet feel special, i.e. attract people do it without making it a formal beta testing/early access program (Tesla can't "Beta" name since most of their features are in permanent Beta, my 5 year old Enhanced Autopilot is still in Beta for example, but they could call it Early Access, or Preview). The main different between what Tesla has and typical beta programs in the is industry is that there almost always is a way to revert to older versions (though you might lose your settings), a capability which Tesla has yet to implement, or may never implement as it would allow customers to revert restrictions Tesla carefully sneaked into their updates.

Is anybody having this issue again?

Like most here, my USB drive was unrecognized until I was upgraded to 2020.12.11.5 (2020.12.11.5 fixed it) but now that the car has gone to 2020.20, it is broken again :(

I actually hadn't used it until about a week ago, and it did some funny things. I was driving in an area where there is no cell; LTE cuts out, it tries 3G, it cuts out, I get the line across the signal strength icon... so I go to my USB. It doesn't work; I see it there, it registers, not like .12 where it didn't even see it, but it is loading, for a very long time.

It finally starts playing, but then after 10 seconds it cuts out, like it is having buffering issues; on a USB?
I try a different song and the same thing. It did this for about 15 minutes. Switched between various artists and songs. Did not have another USB to try, but all of this while I was driving so wouldn't try another even if I had it.

But after that, the first time I used it several days after receiving 2020.20.1, it has been fine since. Was it just going through the whole database of the data on the flash drive? I don't know.

I know. But that option is «grayed out» because the car cannot find the disk.

Tried reformat in different file format, tried different disks. Car can still not find any drive.

There are alot of owners here in Norway with MCU1 and AP2.5 that have reported the same issue.
Hope that Tesla is looking into it.

update.. for me USB player still working on 2020.20.1
2015 MS 70D, MCU1/AP1

last several updates vs USB music:
2020.12.5 broke the USB player (wouldn't even recognize the drive)
2020.12.11.5 - USB player started working again
2020.16. 2,1, 2020.20.1 - USB player still working
however, keeping fingers crossed...