Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB thumb drives no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people also had FAT32 and had files moved around. Reformatting the drive solved those issues go forward. There are multiple issues but they did play with the drive formats that used to accepted and are not accepted. There are very likely multiple other coding issues producing multiple types of errors.
curious on what you base this info that they changed acceptable drive formats for the music player...
Tesla for years now has shown both disinterest and inability to fix numerous USB music player bugs - I suspect they just screwed it up inadvertently by touching some other portion of code.

BTW I just tried a newly formatted FAT32 drive with a dozen or so music tracks on it. Still no dice. It's clearly broken in 2020.12.5 - again mine is a 2015 MCU1 70D, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it behaves differently on other cars.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
Based on a few dozen posters, emails, and videos from various owners and myself since 2020.12.5 hit.

I actually took a new drive and formatted in 2020.12.1 knowing that 2020.12.5 was coming and that the Sentry viewer was going to hit. I wanted to leave my old drive as is in case something with wrong. I installed the new drive , preloaded, and used it for about a few days before I got 2020.12.5. Everything is there, videos & music, but things are messed up. Things are mislabeled, there’s skipping and stuttering, among other things. For the most part it works 80-90%. DONT know if I want to wipe it if it’s the drive or wait for 2020.12.5.1 or whatever it will be.

But I’ve got a 2020 with HW3 Long Range AWD M3 which is one of the highest volume models with 2020.12.5 so issues might be less common given the higher audience.

Grain of salt.

ah, there you go - that's a big difference. If not mistaken, many of us reporting this problem, including the OP, have MCU1 Model S (this is the MS section of the forum, after all). We've been living the many of the same old USB bugs for YEARS... and now this

Have an S as well. I’ve been around for many , many years here. My S isn’t on 2020.12.5 yet so can’t comment on that. I’ve had plenty of USB problems with my 3 as well.

i had reformatted the drive in FAT32 and then put the music MP3's and MP4's back onto the drive. Same result.

Try this:
1. Pull thumb drive out of car and plug into PC or laptop
2. Delete the partition on the drive
3. Create a new partition on the drive
4. Format the new partition with fat32
5. Create a folder on the drive called TeslaCam
6. Eject the drive properly from the PC/laptop
7. Insert the drive in your Tesla
8. After you see the dashcam icon, click and hold that icon for a few seconds
9. If the red dot appears on the icon, you are home free

Try this:
1. Pull thumb drive out of car and plug into PC or laptop
2. Delete the partition on the drive
3. Create a new partition on the drive
4. Format the new partition with fat32
5. Create a folder on the drive called TeslaCam
6. Eject the drive properly from the PC/laptop
7. Insert the drive in your Tesla
8. After you see the dashcam icon, click and hold that icon for a few seconds
9. If the red dot appears on the icon, you are home free

You understand some of us don't have side cameras and our AP1 cars don't have dashcam, so having a TeslaCam folder makes no sense. But I will try this anyway and see if it recognizes the flashdrive.

edit: I cannot click on partition; I tried a new unused flashdrive and the same; I can erase and reformat, but I don't have "delete partition" option. Maybe this all looks different on Windows.

Okay, more edit: I clicked on view on the top left and then saw all drives; including the parent flashdrive Kingston Datatraveler name; but which partition map, apple? I tried apple partition map

I then put on a folder named TeslaCam, threw a few song files on there, and it still won't recognize the flashdrive (USB)

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 11.36.42 AM.png

Last edited:
No, we're not saying that. TeslaCam has never been enabled for MCU1, so it would be impossible to imply anything about USB and dashcams in these cars.

That's incorrect, sentry mode and dash carm works for MCU1 if you have AP2.5+. I'm just wondering if this issue is specific to model S or certain AP versions. I understand music usb isn't showing in 2020.12.5, but dash cam should be working as mine does. Seems people are generalizing and would be nice to be specific in the issue.

Since you're the OP, would you share your year and AP so people can relate? That helps to pinpoint the issue.

My USB stick is no longer recognized since last update 2020.12.5 (for music, the dash cam is sell recognized)
Or at least it seemed to happen with that.
I have rebooted, un plugged and even tried a different USB stick.

Anyone else find that? Other thoughts?
Never had a problem before, you plug it in and it loads.

Reactions: tsmithlxix
My USB stick is no longer recognized since last update 2020.12.5 (for music, the dash cam is sell recognized)
Or at least it seemed to happen with that.
I have rebooted, un plugged and even tried a different USB stick.

Anyone else find that? Other thoughts?
Never had a problem before, you plug it in and it loads.

I have the same exact issue. Contacted Tesla this morning through their chat support and they had me do a couple of resets, which did nothing. Not sure about you, rrodby, but mine definitely stopped woking after the latest software update to my 2013 MS. The two events are most certainly connected. Anyone else?