Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"USB too slow for dash cam" error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an SSD and the error message appeared just after I updated to 40.2.

And just my .02, I tried the search function a couple of days ago when I wanted to post about this very thing. ONE post showed up, not tons. I tried multiple searches. Maybe something wrong with the search function??

If it's software, why can I duplicate the behavior on a particular USB flash drive but not on a more robust SSD? Shouldn't my car say the drive is too slow regardless of what kind of drive is installed?

In rare cases there ARE physically defective flash drives certainly (see the one guy who when he actual bench-marked his was getting like 0.1 MB/s sustained writes... there's something wrong with that drive and it should be returned)

But lots of folks having issues when they do that the drive writes sustain speeds well in exceed of what's needed. And tons of others with the same drive have no issues with it.

There's some combination of factors (or possibly several combinations of factors) that can cause the software to have an issue that others aren't experiencing.

See also why some folks (even with the same HW) might get the error once every month or two, some every week or two, some every day or two, some not at all

Also some can make it go away by unplugging and replugging- if the actual flash drive were the problem that wouldn't be true.

Some have had it go away by updating to 40.x...if the flash drive were the problem that wouldn't be true.

And some have had these issues on every type of flash storage out there- including SSDs.

And again see the earlier user who swapped a known-good drive and a known-bad one between 2 teslas and suddenly the bad drive was good and the good drive was bad.

I've got an SSD and the error message appeared just after I updated to 40.2.

And just my .02, I tried the search function a couple of days ago when I wanted to post about this very thing. ONE post showed up, not tons. I tried multiple searches. Maybe something wrong with the search function??

What SSD are you using? Any chance you can benchmark it's write performance after it's been in your car for awhile? I wonder if it is degraded in some way.

If it's software, why can I duplicate the behavior on a particular USB flash drive but not on a more robust SSD? Shouldn't my car say the drive is too slow regardless of what kind of drive is installed?
If it’s hardware, why did my errors suddenly start with a software update and then suddenly end with another software update while my hardware (USB drive) stayed exactly the same?

P.S. There’s no evidence that SSDs are ‘more robust’. If you believe they are, then it only proves you’re susceptible to marketing.

If it’s hardware, why did my errors suddenly start with a software update and then suddenly end with another software update while my hardware (USB drive) stayed exactly the same?

P.S. There’s no evidence that SSDs are ‘more robust’. If you believe they are, then it only proves you’re susceptible to marketing.

This is just flat out ignorance. An SSD will have a relatively substantial write cache that your USB drives do not. This write cache (along with better wear leveling and better controllers) make them far more suited for this type of workload.

SSDs are absolutely better suited for continuous writes where USB drives are made for occasionally transferring files around.

Not sure what kind of perverted pleasure I get from reading yet another "slow drive" discussion but I guess hoping someone will provide a clear and consise response so maybe people listen.

There are many people affected from this issue. The majority always say the issue started after a while (at least I have not read once someone say it happened the first day they got a new USB drive). Since our Teslas upgrade quite regularly, people also seem to go for the "after it, therefore because of it". There are people that express opinions on this issue that read like facts even when anyone with any knowledge of the matter would laugh at the statements. But I digress as usual.

There are very few if any credible reports of SSDs/high endurance SD cards exhibiting the problem. Flash drives are cheap for a reason, the components that go in them are almost never meant to be used for constant recording/writing they are subjected by teslacam.

In the master thread I tried to argue the affects of latency introduced by a cheap flash controller dealing with cheap, marginally working NAND chips. Also tried to show how flash drives are not as durable as the number of write / erase cycles most people expect they can go through without full failure and needing ECC to intervene. I even asked if anyone with a flash drive that exhibit the problem will be willing to spend some time running a proper benchmark on the drive to see how close it is to manufacturers claims after drive was in use for a while to near max capacity. No, continuous reads and writes that last 30sec or less don't count, nor tests at QD 1 (we don't know how the camera streams are written to the drive and I don't know if CBR or VBR is used) or tests that leave the testing computer's many layers of caching active such as simple file copy.

Best of luck finding a solution that works for you.