Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Too Slow -TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll just have to disagree. You've been on this holy war that it's software for months, and I'm out of here. Good luck solving your problem when the solution is clearly there.
While not as passionate as @Knightshade, I have been following this topic and have found all logical evidence to point to it being a software issue in the car. It is the only constant in the reports I've read.

Yes, I am sure some of it is hardware failure, but that is just the nature of flash memory - a lot of it is crap.

I agree it's likely a software issue, but there is plenty of evidence that it's a real problem and it doesn't really matter if it's hardware or software if Tesla doesn't fix it. Plug in a fast solution (like an SSD or the high performance micro-SD) and don't worry about it any more... seems like a lot less headache.

Oh, it's a real problem for sure. No one knows for sure what is causing it: I just made the decision for myself that this is mostly a Tesla SW issue. Myself: I think getting an SSD is a waste of money. It *might* have a better chance of success, but not enough info to feel comfortable about that. I use a $33 SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from Costco and have had zero issue with it since last August. I can go through two or three of those before I have spent more money than buying an SSD.

Oh, it's a real problem for sure. No one knows for sure what is causing it: I just made the decision for myself that this is mostly a Tesla SW issue. Myself: I think getting an SSD is a waste of money. It *might* have a better chance of success, but not enough info to feel comfortable about that. I use a $33 SanDisk CZ600 Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 256 GB Flash Drive from Costco and have had zero issue with it since last August. I can go through two or three of those before I have spent more money than buying an SSD.

My SSD is $50.00: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJJL9ZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been working since Mid November without issue (a few USBs before that each failed).

Good luck solving your problem when the solution is clearly there.

But as you've been told multiple times already, I don't have a problem to solve.

My 128GB Samsung USB key has worked perfectly since October 2018.

(as does the cheap 32GB one I put in once every 3-4 months for a day while I pull the nicer one to clean out all the files I don't need)

Nor is your suggested solution "clearly" there since, apart from my not needing it- it won't help folks who have a software problem.

Like the folks who still have issues with SDcards (which you claimed didn't exist AT ALL, then never apologized for the lie after being called on it with evidence it's untrue)....or still have issues even with SSDs. Or who have 2 Teslas and only get issues on one, and the issue follows the car, not the storage device.

This is what the manual says:
Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has confirmed through testing that the following flash drives meet the requirements for Dashcam and Sentry Mode use:
  • SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive
  • Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
I am using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive and I get the "USB too slow for Dashcam" message.

Reactions: jfinephilly
Software, hardware, like all relationships it's really about expectations, met or otherwise.Transfer of real-time data is a team sport. Contention anywhere along the path burns through buffer memory, and if it lasts one moment longer than the buffers can handle, you get overruns and errors like this. It can be poor or failing hardware, housekeeping/garbage collection, an interrupt overload, or a bulging codebase, whatever, or all of them. Until Tesla bumps the buffers, gets better at deferring writes, or sets minimum specs (sustained, not peak) and a validation tool for media that can vary with each shipment, the trivial cost of a quality SSD is the best insurance.

My own anecdotal trivia: Thumb drives kept failing after a week or two, including expensive 128 and 256GB high endurance models (yes, before 10.0). MicroSD on a USB adapter worked for two weeks, but when my 500GB T5 arrived I ditched the rest and it has been flawless since.

Eew. Previous life PTSD. :p

If multiple, different, keys and sdcards are failing repeatedly after a week or two there's a bigger issue at work....

SSDs aren't magic- they're the same fundamental tech as the other flash storage (hell in some cases a high end endurance SDcard is better quality flash than a cheap/crap SSD- and in some cases SSDs can be slower to write because they're doing additional work- see link at the end)

Sure you're not ordering the non-SSD stuff from someplace selling counterfeit parks?

How can SD cards be faster than SSDs? | ZDNet

reformat the drive to exFAT, the problem is FAT32 only can write 4-5MBS. exFAT can write up to 8MBS. It doesn't matter how fast the drive is you buy.

...what?

That's not true at all.

FAT32 will be (relatively) slow for REALLY tiny writes because of its large minimum cluster size, but not NEAR as slow as you suggest... and dashcam files are vastly larger than that.

42.3-83.2 MB/s write on FAT32 4k random depending on the HW used.

Over 400MB/s sequential write on 512k depending on HW used for FAT32.