Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Too Slow -TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DID WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THIS?!?

I am with @Knightshade on this - from all the posts I've read (and it has been many), all evidence points to it being mainly a SW problem (and possible some bad drives, but that is not a sign of a wholesale "hardware problem"). Get an inexpensive larger drive (Costco has as 256 SanDisk I believe for $32 right now) and just see what happens. There is not a single flash, micro SD, or SSD that has not experienced the Too Slow message.

1. Did you perform a test of the drive before you put it in your Tesla to see if it did this?
  2. Did you test transfer speeds on another computer?
  3. Have you done anything besides this one transfer to test this phenomenon?
Also, a SOFTWARE issue can easily cause the issues you are reporting, even to the point of permanent damage to the drive, be it a flash, SD, or SSD.

I am firmly in the "it's a software issue" camp. Until I start seeing empirical evidence to the contrary, you'll be hard pressed to change my mind.
Great. We have two campsites, one of which blames Tesla. As to your questions:
1. YES - of course it worked at full USB 3.0 speeds when I did a test fill of >30GB video files, no sawtooth dropouts when brand new, formatted to FAT32.
2. YES - but why would you expect different results? (See Einstein quote on that topic.)
3. YES - I replaced the 128GB flash drive with a 128GB micro-SD card in a Sandisk USB 3.0 adapter

I have not seen the message, nor do I get 1KB corrupt videos as with the flash drive.

Let's agree to disagree without getting nasty, eh?

My guess is there is something about the Tesla implementation that makes it very intolerant to variation in write speeds/caching. Probably something where you can do some inconsequential thing and it will be "ok" for a while (like reformat, or the temp is cooler, or hotter). Adding the 4th camera probably made it slightly worse and so it's even more prevalent now.

Remember when TeslaCam first came out and the files were corrupted frequently? And all the other trouble with it not starting, not starting every time, etc. I remember the one where when you pressed the icon to save, it would corrupt the most recent file - usually the one with the event you were trying to save!

This is just another bug in the process of them developing the feature. Until it's fixed, we're just going to have to live with "it almost always works" - there's no magic brand, procedure, ritual that makes it work 100% and will also appear random as to what does/doesn't work

Reactions: Knightshade
Like the OP ive been using the Samsung MUF-128AB/AM FIT Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive since July. No problems with it until this recent update in which it says too slow. Maybe ill just wait till the next update?

Bought the fit plus a while back because it was supposed to be plenty fast enough and supposedly had better operating temperatures than the t5 SSD. (Plus way cheaper)

Every other week it was too slow error. Said screw it about 3 weeks ago and got a t5. No problems now.

Like the OP ive been using the Samsung MUF-128AB/AM FIT Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive since July. No problems with it until this recent update in which it says too slow. Maybe ill just wait till the next update?

Can you be more specific on what you mean by "this update"?

I've been using that same drive since October last year with 0 issues, including up through the current SW most of the fleet is on (2019.32.12.2) but I know there's a couple newer ones since that haven't widely rolled out yet.

Can you be more specific on what you mean by "this update"?

I've been using that same drive since October last year with 0 issues, including up through the current SW most of the fleet is on (2019.32.12.2) but I know there's a couple newer ones since that haven't widely rolled out yet.

Running the (2019.32.12.2) update. Wasnt working yesterday, seems to be working again today. Weird.

It’s not the update at all (well, almost, I’ll explain). In previous versions, when the drive was rendered “too slow” to record, it just displayed an X. At least now they tell you what’s up. Here’s what’s happening:
1) The total video feed in a recent update was increased by 33% with the addition of the rear camera.
2) Video stream for 4 cameras is (30mb/min X 4 cameras) is 2mb/sec.
3) Most USB drives write at 3mb/s when new. Once the data has to be “overwritten” write speeds can be cut in less than half. When that comes about, you get the error.

The problem: When the drive is brand new, all the free space is “zeros”. In order to write a file, it can only be written when space is “zeroed-out” first. When the whole drive is zeroed-out (like when new) you can write at 3mb/sec. When you have to overwrite old data, it’s like having to write twice; once to write zeros and once again to write your file. It cuts down to like 1.5mb/sec write speed. Too slow for 4 Tesla cameras.

The solution: Reformat (zero-out) the entire drive using a special tool. I explain it here. Plus, it’s free:

I have 256gb Samsung Fit plus, a pi zero w with a 128gb Samsung u3 class micro sd, and a ssd with a USB adapter. Fit plus worked great since June until latest update when it would periodically give the error. A reformat worked for some time before error comes back. I have not tried the pi zero w on v10 but worked great on v9. So I switched to a 1tb ssd to see if that helps. So far so good (1 day so far)

• Funny
Reactions: tvad
It’s not the update at all (well, almost, I’ll explain). In previous versions, when the drive was rendered “too slow” to record, it just displayed an X. At least now they tell you what’s up. Here’s what’s happening:
1) The total video feed in a recent update was increased by 33% with the addition of the rear camera.
2) Video stream for 4 cameras is (30mb/min X 4 cameras) is 2mb/sec.
3) Most USB drives write at 3mb/s when new.

2 outta 3 right ain't bad :)

Most modern USB drives write many many many times faster than 3mb/s sequential when new.

USB UserBenchmarks - 639 USB Flash Drives Compared
The SLOWEST 64GB or larger drive of over 600 tested was writing sequential at over 9 MB/s... the second slowest was 11.5 MB/s, and the vast majority were in the 20-60 MB/s range... (a decent # were even faster than that but would be limited by the USB2 interface on the Tesla)

I
Once the data has to be “overwritten” write speeds can be cut in less than half. When that comes about, you get the error.

As pointed out 1/2 speed would still be more than fast enough on virtually any modern USB drive.

That said- flash-based storage medium DOES get slower as it fills up- and as it gets really full performance can drop by more than 1/2.... (the reason is a bit more complex than you described and relates to the ability to write at the page level but only erase at the block level, but that's really getting into the weeds without much benefit to most readers here).

Now- most modern OSes have code that helps avoid this issue- actually properly cleaning up the drive when files are deleted.

BUT... Tesla writes kinda crap software... their stuff didn't erase files on the USB storage AT ALL until recently, and still only does it when the drive is already nearly full. And possibly not very cleanly even when it does.

Now, the one thing I've mentioned I do regularly (about every 2-3 months) is I pull my Samsung USB key, plug it into a modern OS running PC, and delete all the video I no longer need.

The drive is usually only 1/3-2/3rds full when I do this so not full enough to really slow anything down at all... and since I'm deleting in a modern OS it's "cleaning up" after itself at the drive level too.

No need to wipe and reformat in that case. Though I suppose if you're only using it for video, and not music, doing the unneeded format isn't THAT much extra work than just a simple delete.

I suppose the above might explain why people think buying a "real" SSD "fixed" the problem- they're usually replacing something like a 64GB key with a 500GB or 1TB SSD- meaning it'd take them a LOT longer to get to 75%-90% full where performance starts taking a dump.

At which point the "fix" will be the same as it was on the cheaper USB key- clean it out.

My Samsung USB drive shows "too slow" every couple of weeks. I simply download, then delete the files from the USB, and re-install the drive. Takes five minutes and works for another couple of weeks. No big deal.
I've had this Samsung for almost four months:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM
Worked great the first three months at least. I would regularly delete all the files on it (maybe every two to three weeks)

Then a few weeks ago I started getting the "too slow" message. Tried formatting multiple times. Would get the message every time. Tesla updated the software, still get the message every time I drive the car.

I've had this Samsung for almost four months:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM
Worked great the first three months at least. I would regularly delete all the files on it (maybe every two to three weeks)

Then a few weeks ago I started getting the "too slow" message. Tried formatting multiple times. Would get the message every time. Tesla updated the software, still get the message every time I drive the car.
That's the drive I use. Sorry for your ongoing problems.

Reactions: Rothgarr
I’ve had the Samsung T5 SSD with zero problems since sentry option became available.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-P...b&qid=1574151855&sprefix=samsung+ssd+5&sr=8-4
I don't see any reports of SSD getting the "too slow" message. However, SSDs are not spec'd to temperatures reached in a motor vehicle.

Here, from least desirable to most, IMHO, are the Sentry storage solutions:

Flash drives: consistent reports and reproducible data show that the constant writing/overwriting of data results in slower write/read speeds over time. Cheapest solution.

SSD with USB adapter: Reported to be reliable over periods of time. A risk is temperature extremes and the long-term effects of those. More expensive solution.

micro-SD card with USB adapter: Temperature specs for micro SD cards better match those seen in motor vehicles. Few, if any, reports of the "too slow" with this configuration (using micro-SD Class 10, U3 card). Cost generally lower than SSD.

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro that I just upgraded with an SSD. I removed the old HD and I am using that with a SATA to USB cable to connect to the car. Has been working perfectly. No more "Too Slow" error messages going on. I know there are many talking about extreme temperatures but here in Los Angeles, i'm not to worried about that.