Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB vs iPod connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone in forums.tesla.com posted that they disassembled the center console enough to gain access to a USB port that the iPod 30pin connector is plugged into - does anyone know if the 1.5 has a similar plug? My 30pin does not seem to work and while I don't really care about that too much, I would like a power source for my phone. I found that the lighter is energized even when the car is off so that's not great.

Given the list of options, which is most likely to be successful in the opinion of forum experts - trying to access that USB under the console or swapping the lighter so it runs only when the car is turned on?

Cheers

The USB iPod port is from what I understand one long wire that runs from the center console up to your radio / head-unit. Best is to ditch that thing, its really useless these days and I have older iPods and they don't work on the thing, I forget if they even charge off it, unless you use an adapter that puts the leads back to the old spec. I just use the 12V outlet with the USB adapter to keep my phone plugged in and charged. The car does sleep after some time which then shuts down the 12V port's juice.