TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USC football charging?

Discussion in 'California' started by Crispix, Oct 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Crispix

Crispix Member

I've looked on plugshare and the USC parking web site. Looks like a limited number of ev chargers around the coliseum

Anyone have any experience charging during a football game? What's my best chance of success? Thanks!

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Hawthorne ? You don't want to leave your Tesla unattended in a public lot around USC or the Coliseum.

3. Crispix

Crispix Member

SJC is the backup plan, but would really like to avoid stopping on the way home after an already long day. USC parking has EV charging, just not a lot. I want to avoid searching through multiple lots if anyone has a suggestion for best chance of success.

4. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

What I have done (in many instances like this) is recharge at Hawthorne before the event. Plenty of charge to make it then to USC and all the way back. I don't bother doing a range charge on the way up, because the more depleted battery actually charges faster. Then I just decide in advance how much charge I need to do the event and get home... I'd suggest 200 miles (about 82% for an 85) is more than enough at Hawthorne.

5. cpa

cpa Active Member

Crispix;

Fight On!

6. TTT

TTT Member

Crispix,
    going up to the Notre Dame game? See you in Hawthorne if so

7. Crispix

Crispix Member

Here's the follow-up: I went to the game last night, arrived at the USC parking garage (garage #2) with 123 miles left in the tank. They had 4 Chargepoint stations, nice wide spots dedicated for EVs and very clearly marked to prevent ICEing. I left several hours later with a full battery and a $1.62 charge on my Chargepoint account for the "Session Fee". I have no idea how this amount makes sense. Parking was $25.

Just one other Model S charging beside me, and the other two spots were probably free for the entire game. No Supercharger needed, which was very convenient.