Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use brake pedal for regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla able to make a Regen option where the default is low Regen.. then when you lightly press the brake pedal it activates some Regen (I know the brakes are hardware so it would have to activates though but for that slight amount you can press where the brakes would be barely stopping the car if at all). This would make the dynamics similar to driving an ICE car but still keep most of the efficiency gained from Regen. I don't see why Tesla can't do this as iirc some other manufactuers do this.

The Toyota Prius' brakes operate in the matter you are describing. I had a Gen 3 Prius, and Toyota did their best with the transition from regen to hydraulic brakes, but it was still very noticeable when it occurred...especially when it has been raining and there's some corrosion on the brake rotor during that initial drive.

The Model 3's brake pedal is hydraulic only, and many (including me) prefer it this way. It is a simpler design, but it works so much better.

Go drive a Prius and report back. Your best option at this time is to set the regen to low.

Reactions: drtimhill
Those are completely opposite things (1 pedal driving, and requesting the brake pedal to function more like an ICE vehicle).

I specifically dont want "1 pedal driving" because I dont want to hard wire my brain for only driving cars that have 1 pedal driving. Its bad enough that when I get in my wifes X3, I take my foot off the pedal and always get a bit surprised the car just continues coasting down the road.

I completely realize this is a personal thing, but for me the options tesla has now (hold / creep / roll) work fine.
Yeah. That's why I use CREEP so my brain doesn't have to work so hard when I switch cars. Driving that way for over 55 years so why change now.