Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use brake pedal for regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla able to make a Regen option where the default is low Regen.. then when you lightly press the brake pedal it activates some Regen (I know the brakes are hardware so it would have to activates though but for that slight amount you can press where the brakes would be barely stopping the car if at all). This would make the dynamics similar to driving an ICE car but still keep most of the efficiency gained from Regen. I don't see why Tesla can't do this as iirc some other manufactuers do this.

• Disagree
Reactions: wenkan
I use 1 pedal driving most of the time. I would prefer to have same regen adjustment as a track mode instead of medium/low and with pressing brake pedal it should go up to 100% regen to save some brake pads. Considering that brake booster is electronic - it can make linear response on brake pedal doesn't matter what regen settings are there or how much regen is even available. Also, I believe that if there is not enough regen I should have option that mechanical brakes will engage during 1 pedal drive to have same torque as regen would do for consistency.

I use 1 pedal driving most of the time. I would prefer to have same regen adjustment as a track mode instead of medium/low and with pressing brake pedal it should go up to 100% regen to save some brake pads. Considering that brake booster is electronic - it can make linear response on brake pedal doesn't matter what regen settings are there or how much regen is even available. Also, I believe that if there is not enough regen I should have option that mechanical brakes will engage during 1 pedal drive to have same torque as regen would do for consistency.
Yeah my mom just got model 3 and she hates the 1 pedal driving but if the regen was assigned to the brake pedal it would be perfect for her. Even if its a bit less efficiency than just using regen its better than none at all. And I also agree they should make a full 1 pedal driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: wenkan
Yeah my mom just got model 3 and she hates the 1 pedal driving but if the regen was assigned to the brake pedal it would be perfect for her. Even if its a bit less efficiency than just using regen its better than none at all. And I also agree they should make a full 1 pedal driving.

Those are completely opposite things (1 pedal driving, and requesting the brake pedal to function more like an ICE vehicle).

I specifically dont want "1 pedal driving" because I dont want to hard wire my brain for only driving cars that have 1 pedal driving. Its bad enough that when I get in my wifes X3, I take my foot off the pedal and always get a bit surprised the car just continues coasting down the road.

I completely realize this is a personal thing, but for me the options tesla has now (hold / creep / roll) work fine.

While there's no reason it couldn't be done today in SW, I don't see why it matters(much). I guess if you were frequently changing between the 3 and a traditional ICE it might be annoying, but only for a moment during each trip in the new vehicle....

If you are braking(or lifting accelerator) so late that the second that it takes you to realize you are coasting in your ICE instead of slowing via regen in your 3 mean anything beyond a momentary light press on the brake in an ICE, you really gotta be extending your following distances.

From a safety standpoint, if its that important you be slowing down quickly, your foot will already be on the brake and it shouldn't matter one iota if the 3 is regenerating or the ICE is trying to coast(were it not for the brake).

I guess if its just a case of mom not wanting to actually press on the accelerator to keep going the same speed, she should start using cruise control all the time :)

Reactions: Gasaraki and wenkan
Those are completely opposite things (1 pedal driving, and requesting the brake pedal to function more like an ICE vehicle).

I specifically dont want "1 pedal driving" because I dont want to hard wire my brain for only driving cars that have 1 pedal driving. Its bad enough that when I get in my wifes X3, I take my foot off the pedal and always get a bit surprised the car just continues coasting down the road.

I completely realize this is a personal thing, but for me the options tesla has now (hold / creep / roll) work fine.

I was worried about this too but what I discovered is that, without thinking about it, my brain and foot are now trained in a way that works with one pedal driving all the way cars with no regen, have strong regen or weak regen. The key I believe is had untraining myself from "pulse driving", removing my foot abruptly from the accelerator. What I think happens now is I keep easing of the accelerator until I achieve the deceleration that I want and if that doesn't get me the rate of change that I want my foot moves to the brake pedal. This all happens without active thought. BTW the reverse is also needed to learn to accelerate smoothly. This works perfectly fine in all vehicles, if the car doesn't have regen on the accelerator then your foot will just move the brake pedal more quickly. This was really happy discovery for me. So if you're curious about trying it I give you one data point that says you won't be ruined.

Reactions: KG M3
I was worried about this too but what I discovered is that, without thinking about it, my brain and foot are now trained in a way that works with one pedal driving all the way cars with no regen, have strong regen or weak regen. The key I believe is had untraining myself from "pulse driving", removing my foot abruptly from the accelerator. What I think happens now is I keep easing of the accelerator until I achieve the deceleration that I want and if that doesn't get me the rate of change that I want my foot moves to the brake pedal. This all happens without active thought. BTW the reverse is also needed to learn to accelerate smoothly. This works perfectly fine in all vehicles, if the car doesn't have regen on the accelerator then your foot will just move the brake pedal more quickly. This was really happy discovery for me. So if you're curious about trying it I give you one data point that says you won't be ruined.

I know what you mean about pulse driving because my wife drives that way, and I dont. I didnt before, but driving a car with regen really drives it home that you cant pulse drive at all. The few times my wife drives our model 3, she really cant get the hang of NOT pulse driving. I can drive her BMW just fine, I just am not too interested in 1 pedal driving.

I dont use 1 pedal driving in the model 3 but I thought it already had that for the most part, so dont want the brake pedal messed with.

why not, it will be the norm soon enough. I wish I still had a 3 on the tree....not.

ICE cars will be around for decades, they are not going anywhere, even if at some point they are not the predominant vehicle type. That change is likely at least 10-15 years away minimum.

I am debating what to do when my wifes X3 comes off lease in a year, though. She doesnt like the looks of the Y, I cant afford a new X, and right now, none of the other EV offerings really interest me.... but I want to get an EV for her to replace the X3.

Is Tesla able to make a Regen option where the default is low Regen.. then when you lightly press the brake pedal it activates some Regen (I know the brakes are hardware so it would have to activates though but for that slight amount you can press where the brakes would be barely stopping the car if at all). This would make the dynamics similar to driving an ICE car but still keep most of the efficiency gained from Regen. I don't see why Tesla can't do this as iirc some other manufactuers do this.

Today I suspect it is a matter priority. I recall, in early days, the complexity of doing blended braking was one of the reasons given for not doing it. Having experienced the bugs and surprises in the other car with blended brakes (Prius, LEAF and RAV4-EV) I can appreciate why didn't do it initially. Now I believe they have all the hardware needed to it so if they wanted to spend the effort to do it. I'm not also not surprised why it is not high on the list.

I test drove a LEAF with one pedal driving and I couldn't get it to work for me in one session (I think the Nissan person was getting annoyed that I couldn't get the hang of it). The first weeks I had the Model 3 I thought I was going to be stuck in low regen and chill mode because I wasn't getting it either. But I got it and now I can't imagine going back. The thing I've been posting a lot recently is that once you learn it works for *all* types of cars. The key is stop treating the accelerator a binary switch (on or off) but to modulate it instead. This also helpful also with stopping the motion sickness from yoyo acceleration.

This is what making Tesla so unique from others. I believe one day we will have 100% regen so strong that we no longer need friction brakes. Then we can consider true one pedal car. Before that just put the friction brake on the left so there is always some backup.

This is what making Tesla so unique from others. I believe one day we will have 100% regen so strong that we no longer need friction brakes. Then we can consider true one pedal car. Before that just put the friction brake on the left so there is always some backup.
I honestly don't think that when cars will be able to consume 1-2MW of brake power (instead of 0.08 as now) it would be wise to let driver use that much brakes just by accelerator pedal release. So brakes pedal will stay as long as steering wheel is present, IMHO.

When you're driving an ICE car, you should not be just accelerating and braking. I see people annoy the **** out of me in that they hit the brake the moment they are not accelerating or they want to slow down. You do know that if you don't step on the "gas" in an ICE car, the car does slow down... You don't have to brake for everything.

Reactions: PACEMD
Is it *really* so hard to adapt? I switch between my M3, a regular ICE automatic, and a stick shift with no trouble at all. Sure, occasionally I jump in the ICE car and for a moment am amused when it coasts as I lift my foot off the gas, but that lasts about 15 seconds before I'm back to driving it normally.

Personally, I LOVE 1-pedal driving .. sure it feels "odd" at first, but so do new shoes until you wear them for a few days.

I rode with a coworker some years ago in his ICE, him driving. Never touching the brake pedal, he seemed to have no middle ground on the accelerator. It was either accelerating more than he needed to or foot-off-gas idling...for miles. I was starting to wonder if the accelerator cable was binding, but just made the decision to never have him as a driver again. I imagine if OP's mom was one of these drivers, the 'standard' regen would be enough to be really annoying to her.