Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use garage door opener power for slow (15-20A) charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I and my Model S85D will be away from home for the summer for 10 weeks. I've found a short-term rental that is terrific in all respects except that the garage has no power except for the garage door opener. Whether the garage door opener's power comes from an outlet in the ceiling (as does that in my home garage) or is hard wired I don't know. If it's from an outlet, maybe I could plug in a splitter and string an extension cord along the ceiling and down a wall. Would such an outlet supply 15+ amps? Are door openers generally plugged into a ceiling outlet or hard wired? The building was constructed in 2003, if that makes any difference.

I freely admit that all I know about electricity is that electrons are yellow.

@brec, most garage door openers that I know of are plugged into a standard AC power outlet. If you're in the U.S., that is likely a 120 VAC, 15A circuit (NEMA 5-15 grounded, Type B). If it is that type of outlet and you have direct access to it, you could use Tesla's Mobile Connector (link below) with the NEMA 5-15 adapter to plug directly into that outlet. If the outlet is in the garage ceiling (which many are), you could run an AC power splitter, plug an extension cord into the splitter, and plug the Tesla NEMA 5-15 Mobile Connector into the extension cord. However, there are a few caveats: 1) you should not run the garage door opener while charging the Tesla (not enough current capability on that circuit to handle both simultaneously), 2) the extension cord should be rated for at least 15 amps, and 3) the extension cord should be as short as possible to minimize power loss in the cord.

Btw, I think electrons are blue. ;)

Tesla's Mobile Connector: Mobile Connector

Last edited:
The Mobile Connector is a hefty weight and hanging from the ceiling is going to present a problem. You are going to need a way to support its weight to prevent it's weight from pulling itself out of the outlet.

Besides that its only going to charge at about 3 miles per hour.

Thanks! I already have a mobile connector. I thought I had a 5-15 adapter, but I now don't know where it is; I see that they're $45. (I have a 5-20 adapter.) It shouldn't be a problem to avoid using the door opener while charging.

(Quite separately I just realized it'll be 10 weeks without WiFi to the car.)

The Mobile Connector is a hefty weight and hanging from the ceiling is going to present a problem. You are going to need a way to support its weight to prevent it's weight from pulling itself out of the outlet.

Besides that its only going to charge at about 3 miles per hour.

I'd use an extension cord along the ceiling. Ya, I know 3-4 mph is all I'll get. But 12 hours of that should be enough; my commute is short.

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks! I already have a mobile connector. I thought I had a 5-15 adapter, but I now don't know where it is; I see that they're $45. (I have a 5-20 adapter.) It shouldn't be a problem to avoid using the door opener while charging.

(Quite separately I just realized it'll be 10 weeks without WiFi to the car.)

The car will likely not miss seeing what's on Yahoo or Facebook while its off the Internet. Might good anyway
:)

Reactions: kayak1 and Fiver

If you only have the 5-20 adapter, check the power outlet before you buy the 5-15 adapter (one of the two slots will be T-shaped on the 5-20 outlet). Although it's unlikely, the outlet might be a 5-20 outlet and able to handle 20 amps. If not, you'll need to buy the 5-15 adapter.

If you only have the 5-20 adapter, check the power outlet before you buy the 5-15 adapter. Although it's unlikely, the outlet might be a 5-20 outlet and able to handle 20 amps. Otherwise you'll need to buy the 5-15 adapter.
I'm renting sight-unseen except for photos including of the open garage but not of the garage ceiling outlet. I doubt that I'll be able to check remotely, but if I can, I will.