Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use Ludicrous+ to precondition for CCS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, not at all. The battery is a huge thermal mass. It takes a lot of time of sustained conditioning to get it to the proper temperature. A few miles of heavy driving (even if you are actually driving like a madman) is not going to do much.

No, not at all. The battery is a huge thermal mass. It takes a lot of time of sustained conditioning to get it to the proper temperature. A few miles of heavy driving (even if you are actually driving like a madman) is not going to do much.
The OP isn't talking about spirited driving for a few miles before charging. They're talking about activating Ludicrous+ mode which causes the car to warm the battery pack to get it to optimal temperature for power transference. In theory, this should be similar to the preconditioning process that automatically occurs whenever you approach a Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Genie
The OP isn't talking about spirited driving for a few miles before charging. They're talking about activating Ludicrous+ mode which causes the car to warm the battery pack to get it to optimal temperature for power transference. In theory, this should be similar to the preconditioning process that automatically occurs whenever you approach a Supercharger.
Gotcha. Well, I am unfamiliar with that mode, however, it still seems like more than a few miles would be necessary to condition the pack optimally.

I should have specified that. I have the CCS adaptor and want to get the best use from it. I don’t think navigating to a nearby supercharger is for me, if there was one nearby I would probably just go there .

Right--that mode will turn on active battery heating, but "the last few miles" isn't going to accomplish much. You would need to give it like 20-30 minutes or more if you really want it to heat it up.
The preconditioning for Superchargers typically activates the last few miles before you arrive. I think it would help as any amount of pack heating is better than nothing.

The preconditioning for Superchargers typically activates the last few miles before you arrive.
Definitely not. There have been a lot of threads where people have been wondering how worth it this is, with the very very long times it runs preconditioning, using up a lot of energy, frequently for more than an hour.

I’ve never actually used my Ludicrous+ mode and probably never will except for pre-CCS if that turns out to be effective. I have seen DragTime youtubes where Plaid preheating takes him ~15-20 minutes, I wonder if Plaid heats to the same temp as L+, and if that is the same temp as navigating to SC heats the pack.
A one-touch Precondition icon on the nav screen seems acheivable, I’d trade fart sounds and other Elon crap for one.

Reactions: ambudriver03
On a trip in March 2021 my car started pre-conditioning for the Supercharger as soon as I left the house with 96% SOC, traveling to a Supercharger 182 miles away!
That's because you have a LR RWD, right? For pre-conditioning, a dual motor car uses the front motor to generate heat, and the rear motor to drive. On a RWD vehicle, since it's using the rear motor for locomotion, it tries to run it in an inefficient region to generate heat, but isn't able to generate much additional heat while you are moving.

Reactions: Genie and RTPEV