Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use my own referral code?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 and I’m considering moving forward with Tesla Solar. Anybody know if I can get $500 (250+250) off if I use my own referral code?

Anyone have success with it personally?
You aren't getting $500 off (or $250x2 off)... You're getting credit towards other purchases (e.g. their store).. As per:
$250 Referral credit for 3 premium LTE service?
It's not cash, and, it can't even be used towards the monthly payment or bills if you're doing a subscription.

Not sure on the solar, but, you can self refer for vehicles... Don't see why it wouldn't work on solar - but, you can always use a different e-mail address for your solar sign up (and get credit for both accounts - that definitely works).

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My husband put our deposit down in January and went to contract in late January/early February. Covid put us back quite a ways in the install process and we are just now expecting to be scheduled in the next week or so. Unfortunately we haven't gotten to the referral state yet so can't say for sure how it will work. At the time we made our deposit (done in store not directly online) our advisor added that to our solar reservation and said I could refer my husband and both of us would get the referral amount. We do have two cars and two accounts so guess we'll see how it works. According to Tesla's referral program on solar, the $250 award is given after your solar system is activated. Assume that means after you've got your PTO.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
You're getting credit towards other purchases (e.g. their store)..

Are you sure that's how the 2020 solar referral award works? I was under the impression that under the new referral program it's a $250 check, and an image of one was posted recently in the investor thread:

Screenshot from 2020-06-22 19-20-33.png

Tesla phone rep told me this morning that it is indeed a check but only for the person who made the referral, not the new customer. That’s not what’s in the current description currently, but who knows!!?

Are you sure that's how the 2020 solar referral award works? I was under the impression that under the new referral program it's a $250 check, and an image of one was posted recently in the investor thread:

View attachment 555043

• Helpful
Tesla phone rep told me this morning that it is indeed a check but only for the person who made the referral, not the new customer. That’s not what’s in the current description currently, but who knows!!?

Fascinating. Surely we can find someone on this forum who has completed an install with a self-referral in recent months. I would be happy with a $250 check; and really happy with a $250 check and $250 in Tesla Store credit. Those hoodies look comfy.

Honestly I'm surprised they allow self-referrals at all.

EDIT: To add a bit more conflicting information into the mix here's what electrek wrote when the referral program was revamped (not claiming electrek is always correct, however): Tesla reduces price of solar products, adds new referral incentive - Electrek

"Now the referrer gets $250 of Tesla credit, while the new buyer gets $250 off of their new Tesla solar system."

Last edited:
Fascinating. Surely we can find someone on this forum who has completed an install with a self-referral in recent months. I would be happy with a $250 check; and really happy with a $250 check and $250 in Tesla Store credit. Those hoodies look comfy.

Honestly I'm surprised they allow self-referrals at all.

EDIT: To add a bit more conflicting information into the mix here's what electrek wrote when the referral program was revamped (not claiming electrek is always correct, however): Tesla reduces price of solar products, adds new referral incentive - Electrek

"Now the referrer gets $250 of Tesla credit, while the new buyer gets $250 off of their new Tesla solar system."
I’m also surprised that self referring is allowed. When I casually mentioned adding a referral code to my yet to be placed order, the phone rep immediately said ‘are you referring yourself’.!

• Informative
I’m also surprised that self referring is allowed. When I casually mentioned adding a referral code to my yet to be placed order, the phone rep immediately said ‘are you referring yourself’.!

I guess it can be thought of as a customer loyalty program at that point. In the grand scheme of things, what's $250-$500 when you're making a purchase upwards of $30,000?

I did receive an email from Tesla this morning (1 week post-PTO) that my referral has been processed and a check will be sent out in the next week.

wow. Did you have to follow up at all? I'm now 6 weeks post PTO and was told it can take up 60 days. I also haven't got one from 11/19 but that was done manually so I don't have much hope. I had them escalate the matter to "exec" CS so we'll see..

Interesting response from my advisor, but I'm not going to argue:

"Your referral is active on your order and you’ll be receiving a $400 rebate as this was a self referral."
Ordered between January 17, 2020 and July 14, 2020 was $250 each.

Ordered on or after July 15, 2020:
Referred Customer:
$100 award

Referrer:
$400 award
One (1) Powerwall per referrer, when there are 10 or more referrals