Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use Plugshare while driving Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Big Island, there are no superchargers. Is there a way to view 3rd party charger locations on my Tesla screen?Using my phone's Plugshare app while driving is probably not a good idea.
Is there isn't a way to view 3rd party chargers on Tesla screen, what is the best way to suggest that as a new feature?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
On the Big Island, there are no superchargers. Is there a way to view 3rd party charger locations on my Tesla screen?Using my phone's Plugshare app while driving is probably not a good idea.
Is there isn't a way to view 3rd party chargers on Tesla screen, what is the best way to suggest that as a new feature?
Maybe you can could use it through the browser?

You can display destination charging locations on the touchscreen map, by touching the single lightning bolt icon when displaying charging locations. That doesn’t include third party locations that aren’t destination chargers, but it’s something.

Generally there are two use models for driving to charging stations.

First, when you are on a long distance trip and you want to automatically route to fastchargers (Superchargers) en route. The car's nav system, or a tool like abetterrouteplanner.com can do this (and in the latter case, the next charging station stop can be "shared" with the car so it navigates to the Supercharger, activating the battery pre-conditioning if necessary).

In the OP's case, being on an island (even the big island), I suspect this is not the use model in use.

The second model would be to use charging stations for "opportunity charging", or possibly needing to get a charge at your destination, so you can make the round trip back home. In this case you would usually research this kind of thing ahead of time (using Plugshare or similar), rather than trying to do it on the fly while driving. So for example, if you were going to travel to Hilo to visit friends and have lunch, and then want to turn around and return home that evening, you might want to get a charge at a public L2 station that afternoon. So you would probably check Plugshare to see what options there were so that you could plug in for a few hours while you are visiting with your friends and then arrange to meet them at/near the charging station.

I just checked the Big Island's public charging stations, and it looks like there only about 30 of them around the island. Some are at hotels (and probably reserved for guests), some are at office buildings and schools; two are at airports, two are at Nissan dealers. I'm guessing that after not too long, you will probably have the reasonable options memorized anyway, just as I pretty much know where the 30-40 nearest L2 chargers in my area are located and which ones are convenient to places I would actually want to go, versus those that are not (like airport parking lots). But even before this point, I think you would probably be doing this kind of planning in advance, rather than doing it on the fly in the car. L2 charging stations can be somewhat unpredictable: the station may be down, or blocked, or in use for a few hours. It's not the kind of thing you necessarily want to rely on to get from point A to point B, so it doesn't make much sense to use it as part of a live navigation, but rather use them to get an opportunity charge because you happened to be in the area anyway. And using your phone or the car's browser for this purpose seems pretty reasonable.

Is there another use model the OP had in mind that I am not considering?