Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use Rainex on Model 3 windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Model 3 owner’s manual, “Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound.” I am having my car ceramic coated which includes 2 layers of “Rain” on the windshield. Wondering if I should decline this service?

According to Model 3 owner’s manual, “Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound.” I am having my car ceramic coated which includes 2 layers of “Rain” on the windshield. Wondering if I should decline this service?

Interestingly, when I got my from the showroom my wipers chattered everywhere, I’m assuming from the detailing the car got. I haven’t treated then windshield since, but the chattering lessened and lessened over about a few weeks.

I've had terrible experiences with RainX and heavily pitted (highway driving, dirty roads from winter) windshields. It did make my wipers chatter more and actually reduced visibility by leaving a thin fogging on tiny droplets on every wipe. Letting the coating fade away eventually resolved both issues.

I've experienced this with 3/3 vehicles I've owned, so they might be on to something as the windshield ages but not necessarily from new.

It really helps if you first seriously clean and polish the windshield before applying anything. I have used both the RainX polish and CarPro Ceriglass - both work well and both are easier with a Rupes polisher and a gloss polishing pad. After that, applying the RainX Water Repellant (not just RainX cleaner), waiting for it to cure and then polishing that, worked very well.

I've only seen RainX fog when not polished off. If you just apply it and either leave it or just lightly buff it, it doesn't work at all. Streaks and foggy patches plus way worse wiper chatter.

Reactions: QuickSilver714
I'd go for it. The sentence you reference is in regards to the washer fluid and that a buildup of them will streak and cause chattering.
My windshield and sunroof panels were really sticky and hard to get a rag across. A good bath like jdw says, I used a synthetic clay bar from Mother's for stuck impurities, and a simple coat of McGuire's quick wax spray. I later found Adams glass sealant and have had zero problems with the wipers streaking or chattering.
Once you get your glass sealant on, use only simple washer fluid or better, distilled water. You won't have much of a problem removing windshield junk afterwards and won't leave peripheral residue as badly.
:cool: Yeah, go for it. :)

Reactions: jdw
Definitely get Ceramic Pro Rain on all your windows. And ask for a top coat of Sport on the windshield. You will never need your wipers.

Reactions: Kleenerth3

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my new M3 is going in for the Ceramic Pro treatment next week. The installing company told they no longer recommend doing the windshield due to the wiper chattering problem. He claims they have had multiple customers ask them to remove it (which I guess is a real PIA). Apparently this is unique to the 3. They did my X last year and it is perfect. Is this a real problem? I tend to take the dealer's word for it. But curious about the experience of others.

It is CYA legalese. I switched to Rain-X washer fluid, which basically provides a low, constant Rain-X dose to the windshield and haven't looked back. If anything it helps the automatic wipers, as I can very easily see/drive through anything that comes short of the wipers turning on. It might even be helping with the camera based monitoring as larger drops will happen faster? Just guessing there, but also based on how many people still complain about the automatic wipers while I've been happy for several months now.

When I replace my windshield, which thanks to a rock thrown by a cement truck is now an inevitability, I'm going to immediately apply C-Bond instead of Rain-X, as it is suppose to also be a strengthening film rather than just a hydrophobic enhancer.

Reactions: Ericna and MMBTUS
I have not used RainX but I have applied OptiCoat Hyper Seal (ceramic-infused polymer sealant) on the windshield and clean weekly with Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. Rain drops just roll off the windshield so I have not had a need to try RainX.

One thing that I did for my wife's Honda that may be helpful: In addition to cleaning (and, if necessary, polishing the glass), another factor to consider is the state of your wiper blades. To reduce chatter on her windshield, I BOTH cleaned the windshield AND the wiper blades. Specifically I used Mckees37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvinator on the rubber wiper blades. The cleaning of the blades with this product made a huge difference. So that's my main message: Clean both the windshield AND the wiper blades.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: SammichLover