Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use Referral Code Link To Order... Period.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my car and am happy I took the plunge. One thing that I think we can all agree is lacking is Tesla's customer service. There are inconsistencies across the board whether it is in-store, over the phone, email, service center.

Albeit minor, but my worse fears over this situation has come up over my referral. I received an email saying that I would not be eligible since they cannot add benefits after the order has been placed.

Story:
I went into the Tesla Store to place an order and to figure out how the process works since LR RWD was now off-menu. At the store, they tell me how I just need to place an order and from the RN they modify it to LR RWD whether I place for Standard or AWD or Performance, it didn't matter... they can put in a case to change the order. So we did that. I had my friend's link in hand and was going to order from my phone when the employee said to just do it on the computer and he can add the referral code after. I asked and he said again, yeah adding it will be no problem did it a ton of times. Okay... sure enough I placed the order, he writes up a case for my referral link and to change it from LR AWD to LR RWD. The next day I receive confirmation on Tesla.com my order was changed successfully.

While waiting for the car, I happen to be near the store and hopped in to check on the referral. They confirmed it was closed and would show up when I took delivery. A week later, I take delivery and do not have the bonus so I check with the store again. Now it's "could be a month before you see the miles". It's been three weeks, no miles, now I'm told hopefully soon or to email [email protected]; I do that. Fast forward to today and I receive an email saying that it can't be done and I'm SOL. Nice.

TLDR; ordered and added referral code immediately after (minutes) and now a month later told I'm not getting the miles.

Always order via your friend's link and pray it doesn't have any issues. Don't put yourself in a situation where someone at Tesla needs to do any work cause their communication is so broken and inconsistent.

62302533_2920692354821884_5008836099485728768_n.jpg

Reactions: George75
Yeah very frustrating for you and I would be very very annoyed as well. And likely to a lesser extent the staff because I know you used to be able to add a referral code after the order. Change is the only constant with Tesla. What is SOP today is totally different tomorrow.

Reactions: neroden
It’s super ridiculous as something with a value of ~$100 can’t just be given as an exception. Why do I have to put up a fight for something your staff told me? Us, the consumers, are what keeps the barely company afloat and helps to market the product. They rely solely on word-of-mouth as their mktg spend is $0. Yet, we are treated so poorly.

Yup. I had the same problem. I tried using the link, had a website error, so redid the order without it. No referral credit, even though my DA added it.

The referral people have zero sympathy and basically told me it’s my fault for continuing - I was apparently supposed to call them, report the website error and wait for them to fix it.

Screw that. It’s not worth getting upset over 1000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Similar story here.

I was in contact with my sales guy via email as I was deciding between LR AWD, and Performance (was worried about the 20" rims).

Sent him an email saying, "please go ahead and order the Performance using this referral code: http://blah/blah"

Well, he ordered the right car, but didn't use the referral code.

Was given all sorts of stories during the waiting period:
1) "Oh, I'll just add it to the order."
2) "Here's a screen shot of my request to have it added to your order."
3) "It will show up fine when you take delivery."
4) "It takes a couple of weeks after you take delivery."
5) "So many came in at the same time that we are only updating them on the 1st of each month."
6) "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Are we having fun yet?

Ordering using the link seems the best way to ensure you get the miles. But how do you do that for off-menu orders? Back in April my friend ordered his base SR and had to call to place order. He gave them my referral over phone and was told it would take a month after he took delivery to see the miles. Of course those miles never came even after multiple messages to the sales and delivery reps, service chat and emailing referralprogram@. At least some of you received a response.

Ordering using the link seems the best way to ensure you get the miles. But how do you do that for off-menu orders? Back in April my friend ordered his base SR and had to call to place order. He gave them my referral over phone and was told it would take a month after he took delivery to see the miles. Of course those miles never came even after multiple messages to the sales and delivery reps, service chat and emailing referralprogram@. At least some of you received a response.
For off the menu orders you still can order through a referral link. It doesn’t matter what you order if you plan on changing it. What’s important is the deposit and the RN. From the RN, Tesla just submits a mod to whatever config.

The store sales person said she is gonna escalate to the store manager and regional but at this point I’m:
1. Not expecting any further comms
2. 100% positive it ain’t it chief.

Below is the response I got. That's pretty lame. My friend picked his out at the Tesla dealership from existing inventory and told them here is the referral code to use and they said it wouldn't be a problem and we'd get the credit. This was during the 5k free supercharging promotion they had going on. This is the first time I've ever been let down by Tesla. Not a huge deal but still. You'd think they'd honor their own referral program. We're going to try escalating from the dealer direct but we aren't holding our breath :(

"Thank you for the requested information. We are not showing that XXXXXX ordered through your referral link. In order to qualify for our Referral Rewards Program new owners must order directly through the referral link in order to be eligible for our program. Since this process was not followed neither party would be eligible for benefits through our program."

I love my car and am happy I took the plunge. One thing that I think we can all agree is lacking is Tesla's customer service. There are inconsistencies across the board whether it is in-store, over the phone, email, service center.

Albeit minor, but my worse fears over this situation has come up over my referral. I received an email saying that I would not be eligible since they cannot add benefits after the order has been placed.

Story:
I went into the Tesla Store to place an order and to figure out how the process works since LR RWD was now off-menu. At the store, they tell me how I just need to place an order and from the RN they modify it to LR RWD whether I place for Standard or AWD or Performance, it didn't matter... they can put in a case to change the order. So we did that. I had my friend's link in hand and was going to order from my phone when the employee said to just do it on the computer and he can add the referral code after. I asked and he said again, yeah adding it will be no problem did it a ton of times. Okay... sure enough I placed the order, he writes up a case for my referral link and to change it from LR AWD to LR RWD. The next day I receive confirmation on Tesla.com my order was changed successfully.

While waiting for the car, I happen to be near the store and hopped in to check on the referral. They confirmed it was closed and would show up when I took delivery. A week later, I take delivery and do not have the bonus so I check with the store again. Now it's "could be a month before you see the miles". It's been three weeks, no miles, now I'm told hopefully soon or to email [email protected]; I do that. Fast forward to today and I receive an email saying that it can't be done and I'm SOL. Nice.

TLDR; ordered and added referral code immediately after (minutes) and now a month later told I'm not getting the miles.

Always order via your friend's link and pray it doesn't have any issues. Don't put yourself in a situation where someone at Tesla needs to do any work cause their communication is so broken and inconsistent.

View attachment 417833
Yup, had the same issue. Tried multiple referral codes gotten while in the Tesla Store with Gary of Bellevue Tesla. None worked. Gary said, it's okay you can add by end of month. That turned out not to be true. Also, he told me that the charging station was a "split-phase" only item that had to be installed by an electrician. Looking at the Wall Connector's instruction booklet online, I could tell that wasn't true (240V single phase and 240V phase to phase possible).

But my car is awesome! I love it so much that these disappointments are minor. Now I'm just geeking out about all the accessories I can buy for it.

I had the same issue in May 2019 when I purchased my Model 3. The referral link was not working at the time, tried a few times more but no luck. So I placed the order in the standard way and called in the referral code with a Tesla agent. They told me that they would note the referral code in my account and the miles should show up several weeks later. I confirmed the that the code was on my account when I picked up the new car about a week later; again was told that it would take a few weeks but that the referral department would review it and it should go through. Well the referral promotion miles never showed up and when I followed up and sent multiple complaint emails, the response was that there is nothing they can do...very disappointing and misleading. I am sure there are numerous other new Tesla owners going through the same hassle and misrepresentation ....would not be surprised if a class action suit eventually develops.

That sucks @yumcha however a little off topic I am jealous you got your car in a week LOL.

We ordered our car with the referral code, then through some "complications" let's call them our order was cancelled by Tesla two days later. I had been in contact with the sales manager over those two days (SF Sales Office) and he suggested to re-enter the order online to get it back in the queue. Of course, when entering it online that evening I neglected to include the referral code.

Next morning I called and asked about getting the code attached to the order so my sister and I would get the miles, and surprisingly the sales manager had noticed that the new order didn't have the code that had been attached to the original order, and had added it back in.

It was a glimmer of good customer service which I definitely give them props for. The other parts of the ordering process has not been so smooth -- but that's off topic. Good luck, I hope that you can get your bonus.

@Potpourri I hear you, MOAR ACCESSORIES! :D

The sales department and referral department never speak with each other. It’s just another example of the dysfunction that is rampant at Tesla.

If Fred Lambert was a real journalist he would write an article about this nonsense but he won’t publish anything that might negatively impact their stock price.

I added a referral code after my order and just last week someone added mine after their order. Granted I had to call but it got fixed without issue. It sure would be nice if they added a spot to add the referral code instead of having it as a link to buy thing like they do now but they can for sure do it after the fact if you ask.

FWIW when I placed my order in-store, I did forget to use my friend's referral code. When I went in the next day to ask about this, my sales rep said it could not be entered after the fact but he "knew a guy" that might be able to get it sorted out. Ten minutes later I got an email from my friend thanking me for using his referral code, and I was shown on the internal system where it showed the referral on my order. So they can be added post-hoc. Sometimes.

Things did move pretty quickly when I said "okay well you said the deposit was refundable, so I can just refund this, and place a new order with the referral code, right?" Not sure if that's related or not.

It took 9 weeks of emails but I did end up receiving my 5,000 miles from my referral. Same as many, store said they could look me up and add my code manually, which is specifically why my father didn't bother to ask for my link. His delivery was memorial day weekend and it wasn't until early August that my account reflected the miles.

I just wish Tesla would be more consistent with how they handle this. Some people are screwed, some people are taken care of by the Referal team, and some people are taken care of by the sales team using a workaround.

Mine was the workaround - They didn't get the referral code in at order, and they tried to get the referral team to do it after the fact and was told to pound sand, so they just took the next two orders that came in without referrals and assigned one to me and the other to my referee. Net result is we both got what we should have gotten, and two random buyers got a bonus. I suspect this was against SOP but their rigid system doesn't leave any room for mistakes. I could have just as easily canceled the order and resubmitted it with the referral code if they really wanted to play hardball. Only a day had passed anyway so it's not like I would have lost a delivery window.