Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

use summon while inside the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

This may be an obvious question for current owners, but we're waiting for our 70D and wondered whether summon can be used from inside the car?

We have a narrow garage, and I'm not sure my wife will be able to reliably park the Tesla without occasionally scraping up the sides. Having summon park the car will be great, but she would like stay inside and then get out in the garage. She would rather not have to get out on a snowy/icy driveway (or hot driveway in the summer).

Thanks.

-Ben

OP, congrats on your order.

For folks pursuing threads, be sure you do a forum search for numerous other threads on Summon, including situations where folks are finding it works and does not. Also, THIS THREAD and others are about inconsistent Homelink operation, some including Summon in it's first iteration from Tesla.

Hi everyone,
This may be an obvious question for current owners, but we're waiting for our 70D and wondered whether summon can be used from inside the car?

We have a narrow garage, and I'm not sure my wife will be able to reliably park the Tesla without occasionally scraping up the sides. Having summon park the car will be great, but she would like stay inside and then get out in the garage. She would rather not have to get out on a snowy/icy driveway (or hot driveway in the summer).
-Ben

While it CAN be used for that, I found that I can be much more precise driving it manually. All the same sensors provide audible warnings, but also visual distance indicators on the IC. Plus you can exceed the limits by more than Summon allows. The minimum distance you can set is 8 inches (which ends up more like 12). I can reliably manually move to within 3 or 4 inches of another car in front. You also have more control over the precise position of the car. Summon tries to center the car in the available space. In my case tighter on the right is better. It is also terribly slow and sometimes gets hung up on the garage lip. This is a good thing generally, but most folks will probably get frustrated and want to grab the wheel or help it along. Any touch at all brings everything to stop.

Just practice a few times, you will get the hang of things fairly quickly. Even if Summon is not the ultimate answer, you will likely find plenty of places to use it.

You can use it while sitting in the drivers seat. When activated the side mirrors fold. If you back in, when the mirrors fold, you lose one source of visibility if you are sitting in the car. If you don't need them folded to fit you can manually extend them without stopping the summons that is underway.

I have found it less worrisome to monitor the cars movement from outside of the car.

Ironically it parks the car crooked in exactly the way I like to park the car. Our garage has a large opening into another garage area. When the sensors see the opening they move the car in that direction. The end result is a crooked park job that is how we normally park to leave more door room for the other car parked in the other half of the garage. So by doing it wrong it gets it right.