TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Use Tesla log data to fight speeding tickets?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Jun 23, 2018.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I drive fast in my Model 3. I'm not like those boy racers who blast through town with their fart piped and slammed Honda Civic with a body kit in primer because he's saving his McDonald's paychecks for a paint job, but out on the highway, if the road is clear, I'll let it run once in a while.

But I have seen the reports of Tesla in accidents and they always talk about how Tesla pulls the log files to see what happened before the accident. And that got me thinking, could the log files be used to fight a speeding ticket when some cop is trying to make his monthly quota of tickets?

Being computer files, I'm sure it is easy to access, but maybe Tesla doesn't want to go through all that every time someone gets a ticket. What's the deal with this?

If the cop writes that the alleged speeding happened at 1:36 pm, I can get the log files and it shows that between 1:30 and 1:40 the car never exceeded 23 mph, that'd close a speeding ticket pretty quick.

• Funny x 1
  2. mattk926

mattk926 Member

That could work both ways as well. The police could request the logs as well to prove you were speeding. A much simpler approach would be to get a GPS enabled dashcam. You submit the footage for the court case and I'm sure as long as you truly weren't speeding they would throw out the ticket to not waste anyone's time.

However, chances are if you get pulled over for speeding 9 times out of 10 you were speeding and should just pony up and pay the ticket. Hire a traffic lawyer if you are concerned about raised insurance rates/points on your license if that's a thing where you live. If you were that 1 time out of 10 the dashcam footage with gps timestamp should help to corroborate your story if you run into a corrupt police officer.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Tesla made it possible for users to pull their own logs.

Now they don't make it easy, and I don't know if you'll have access to the data you want. But, you can pull some information.

4. mattk926

mattk926 Member

That's awesome... Can you cite a source so we all know how to get access to the logs?

5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

With some looking around on ebay, I wouldn't be surprised to find that China has already copied the cable and adapter and sells them for much cheaper prices.

In my case it'd be the 1000 times I was speeding and 1 time I got caught. It'll be a bad time for me if Pennsylvania ever allows local cops to have radar guns! They'll go crazy with it!

Poll: Should local police in Pa. be able to use radar?

Local police in Pa. can't use radar guns to ticket speeding drivers; proposed bill would change that

• Informative x 1
  7. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

So, the premise of this entire thread is an assumption that you are going to be stopped for speeding by a corrupt police officer purely to reach his or her mythical quota? And you are finding this much more likely than actually getting caught speeding as an admitted lead foot? The time you spend trying to prove this unicorn sighting occurring is going to be quite high compared to the fine on the falsified citation if I’m doing my math right.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  8. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Of course cops have ticket quotas! Only a naïve fool would believe otherwise. It's all about MAKING MONEY, and each cop has to bring enough cash in to keep their job. In a perfect world this would not be the case, but this isn't a perfect world.

• Disagree x 1
  9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Think you would be laughed out of the courtroom if the ENTIRE log was pulled and presented.

Glad to see your posts have gone from slandering Tesla to figure out how to use Tesla’s to escape the law.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

They can show my entire log. As George Carlin said - "Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!" :cool:

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I thought about doing this as I was positive in could not be doing 61 as the cop said. But the logs said 64. These cars accelerate fast and quietly. So my bet is the logs will more likely nail you than save you.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1