TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Use This Charging Station or Buy 14-30 Plug Adapter

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by PianoAl, Jan 1, 2020.

1. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

This is the charging station we have in our garage (used for our Leaf):

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 8.01.18 AM.jpg

I can either use this, with the adapter, or I could buy the Nema 14-30 adapter for the Tesla charger.

Is there an advantage of one over the other (efficiency, etc)?

If I use the former, the plug sticks out quite a lot (I worry someone will bump into it).

Thanks.

2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

I would just use what I had unless you drive over a 150 miles or more on an average day. Any slight gains in efficacy would likely never cover the upgrade costs.

3. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

OTOH, the adapter is only $35. I could then sell my EVSE for a few hundred.

4. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

I'd switch to the Tesla one so you're not constantly using the j1772 adapter.

5. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

The Tesla Connector with a 14-30 will charge at 24 amps, while your ClipperCreek is at 16, so switching to the Tesla will charge faster. How important that is to you is up to you (charging overnight you'd never notice the difference).

The 14-30 adapter is only $35, so in your place I might buy one just to have it handy as a backup.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Try both and see what works best for you

• Like x 1
  7. floodland

floodland Member

I am using the UMC with a 10-30 adapter. It puts about 25 miles on the car in an hour at 24A. Since you already have the 14-30 available, $35 is a good investment. Just remember to support the UMC, not leave it hanging off the plug.

8. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

I (finally) got the 14-30 adapter. It now charges at 22 MPH instead of 15 MPH, which will occasionally be useful.

Getting tired of buying toys for the car, I went DIY on the mounting: total cost: $0. Next, I might buy some PVC pipe to put the charge plug in. 20200204_093832.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 4.04.12 PM.jpg

• Like x 2