Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use your iPhone to find a charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any good RV park apps for those of us outside of the promised land of CA?

After ChargeIt told us of that app, which I have now downloaded, I searched and found this: CT RVParks for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store . It looks perfect, but, gulp, it's $5! I like my apps free! Ok, nobody needs to knock some sense into me... I'll probably end up forking it over.

I think that since they recently created a new "type" of electric hook-up that they've cataloged on the EV Chargers site as "TSLA" I think that it would be great if they merged over the RVs into their own category so they'd all be under one roof. Call it "RV" or under the "Other" there are some NEMA 14-50 plugs so they could merge all those 14-50s with the RV's 14-50s for a new category. I'm sure it is not that easy, but I figured if I could plant a seed...

I like this app, but it only has one charger listed in the whole of Europe! I'd like to appeal to European Tesla owners to start reporting charging points they know of through the app. I will as soon as I have my car and can add verified locations.

At present there is a separate source of UK charger info - I will put the URL in a followup post. Hopefully someone can post the same for other countries.

For US RV park chargers try Road2 by celadonapps.com. This is a very interesting works in progress that delivers range estimates. Originally developed by Karen Rei Pease for the Aptera, she switched focus to the Tesla Roadster. (I think the receding vapourware status of the Aptera did it, combined with the fact that some Tesla Roadster owners were helpful in giving her real data to calibrate her physics-based simulation.)

The relevance to RV park chargers is that Celadon has exclusively licensed a POI database of RV parks with suitable charging points. At present you can access this free via a web interface. It's awkward to use on a iPhone but just do-able.

My sincere hope is that via some licensing deals all these sources can be brought together in a single iPhone (and other platform) App that offers route planning, accurate EV (or at least Tesla) range estimation and charging point locations world-wide.

UK chargers listed at
http://www.ev-network.org.uk/

Note there are two levels of access: public for public chargers and private for members who are prepared to help out other members with charging. I have a private charger listed near Edinburgh, Scotland - PM me here if you want to use it.

Also found a list of Spanish and
Portuguese chargers at
http://www.alargador.org/

For US RV park chargers try Road2 by celadonapps.com. This is a very interesting works in progress that delivers range estimates. Originally developed by Karen Rei Pease for the Aptera, she switched focus to the Tesla Roadster. (I think the receding vapourware status of the Aptera did it, combined with the fact that some Tesla Roadster owners were helpful in giving her real data to calibrate her physics-based simulation.)

YES! The early version of that program came in VERY handy during the coast-to-coast RenewAmericaRoadtrip planning last summer ... and Karen has made some very nice improvements :cool:

I just tried the Celadon app...and it looks like just the sort of thing I'd like to use. But when I ask it to show me making the trip from here to Portland (which several local owners have done) at 60mph; it says I will run out of charge after less than 180 miles, even at 55mph.

I made sure it's starting with 100% charge; maybe it's assuming Standard mode? At the end it says I used 46.5kWh. But I don't see any way to change that. Am I missing something easy?

I started with all settings at their default for the Tesla; but even after changing speed to 55; drive wheels to RWD; and payload to 250lbs, it still says I won't make it.

Yes, I think she is using STD mode, and 46,500Wh/180miles=258Wh/mi is actually pretty close to real-life.

Turn off "Use real-world weather data" -- otherwise a lot of quirky stuff happens because of the use of HVAC, and wind conditions (although an interesting feature) can make things confusing.

I just tried to duplicate your results, but ended up with an abort after about 70miles due to a software bug ("Pack heating joules(4164)...") (nothing wrong with your(!) roadster :smile:) ... so I can't assist any further at the moment.

Click on "?" (help) and send her an email ...

Not sure what the "Fudge factor" does, but in general you might want to reduce the "Agressiveness" from 1.0 to maybe 0.8 or lower, since that's what you do in real life in the Roadster when traveling long distance.

Norwegian Charger-Finder App

I found another iPhone app for charger finding.

In partnership with www.ladestasjoner.no, a company called Apphuset has developed the iPhone app LadeNå.

It's a £2.99 download from the UK AppStore, which I think is the $4.99 price point.

I'm going to buy it even though it's exclusively in Norwegian (which I don't speak!) and I'm not likely (any time soon) to take my Tesla to Norway. But it's worth supporting them anyway!

Note that www.ladestasjoner.no gives access freely to its charging station database through a web page.

Cobos - can you give us any more details? A glossary of key terms Norwegian to English would be great!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 110
AndrewBissell said:
I found another iPhone app for charger finding.

In partnership with www.ladestasjoner.no, a company called Apphuset has developed the iPhone app LadeNå.

It's a £2.99 download from the UK AppStore, which I think is the $4.99 price point.

I'm going to buy it even though it's exclusively in Norwegian (which I don't speak!) and I'm not likely (any time soon) to take my Tesla to Norway. But it's worth supporting them anyway!

Note that www.ladestasjoner.no gives access freely to its charging station database through a web page.

Cobos - can you give us any more details? A glossary of key terms Norwegian to English would be great!

Quick review:

It's much less sophisticated than the free EV Charger app. For instance:
- you can't select your location
- if you don't allow your own location to be used the app exits
- so if you want to plan ahead before visiting Norway you should manually scroll the map there from your current location
- once you click on a map pin you get a little pop-up with limited info but there is no detail behind it (unlike the EV Charger app)
- in the list view there is no back up info either
- EDIT: unlike the EV Charger app, there is no way to invoke Google maps for directions to a charge point, nor Safari for the background web page on that charge point

Positives - good to be able to scroll around the map and see the general disposition of EV chargers in Norway via the iPhone.

Glossary still would be helpful! Plus any advice on subscriptions, keys, etc needed to use chargers in Norway.

Oops didn't see this until now. Do you still want a translation for any parts of the interface? I haven't tried the application myself as I don't have an iPhone, but I'll gladly translate any phrases or questions you have.

Cobos

Cobos said:
Oops didn't see this until now. Do you still want a translation for any parts of the interface? I haven't tried the application myself as I don't have an iPhone, but I'll gladly translate any phrases or questions you have.

Cobos

Cobos

Many thanks!

The following need some input to help (my educated guesses in brackets):

Maks P-tid: (Maximum Parking Time)
Ingen (?)
2 timer (2 hours)
3 timer (3 hours)
10 timer (10 hours)
Ikke Oppgid (?)

Ferdigstilte (Operational)
Planlagte (Planned)

Also I would love:

- your review of the ladestasjoner.no website
- any pointers to practically using chargers in Norway (socket types, amps, keys needed, subscriptions needed, any considerations for visitors, i.e. EV tourists, to observe)

Thanks

Andrew

Cobos

Many thanks!

The following need some input to help (my educated guesses in brackets):

Maks P-tid: (Maximum Parking Time)
Ingen (?)
2 timer (2 hours)
3 timer (3 hours)
10 timer (10 hours)
Ikke Oppgid (?)

Ferdigstilte (Operational)
Planlagte (Planned)

Also I would love:

- your review of the ladestasjoner.no website
- any pointers to practically using chargers in Norway (socket types, amps, keys needed, subscriptions needed, any considerations for visitors, i.e. EV tourists, to observe)

Thanks

Andrew
You're good at translating! Everything is correct, and the unknown are
Ingen = None (propably under maksimum parking time, so: no limit)
Ikke oppgitt = Not given

I think the website Ladestasjoner.no looks good, and if you click on any of the actual sites you do get the information you need. I'll translate the main text for each entry:

Using Saga P-Hus as an example
Adresse: innkjøring fra Munkedamsveien 3b, Oslo

Antall plasser: 20
Lading: ja
Avgift: nei
Posisjon: 59.91542,10.7335

Plassene ligger på plan 2U. Godt skiltet. Husk nøkkel.

Adresse = address
Antall plasser = number of parking spots
Lading = charging (ja = yes, nei = no) (some are just free EV-parking)
Avgift= fee, as in parking fee or charging for power
Posisjon: position with GPS coordinates
Plassene ligger på plan 2U = parking spots are located on level 2U
Godt skiltet = good signage
Husk nøkkel = Remember key

Socket types are usually standard 2 pronged household sockets with earthing prongs on the side. Type F plug.

If the entry says Husk nøkkel you need the generic recharge key, I've got one as a member of the EV organization of Norway norstart.no - reise, overnatting, attraksjoner, aktiviteter, arrangement. As I currently don't have an EV I'd gladly lend mine if you are coming on vacation.

Usually most sockets are still 10A or 16A at 230V so no quick-charging yet.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this: "ny considerations for visitors, i.e. EV tourists, to observe" but you should have no trouble with EVs in Norway. Well except for the fact that Norway is one of the worlds most expensive countries but that goes for everyone, as an EV driver you get mostly free parking and usually free recharging.

Anything else you want to know please ask.

Cobos

Cobos

Many thanks for your translational help and for explaining how the Norwegian EV key works.

Thanks for the offer of loan. If I visit I shall certainly ask to borrow it.

Perhaps it would be interesting if you could ask the Norwegian EV Society whether they have an arrangement or plan to deal with visiting EVs from other countries.

Also do they have info for you on what arrangements you should make if you took an EV to your neighbours in Sweden, Denmark and other Nordic, Baltic or West Nordic countries?

As you may guess I am interested in paving the way for European EV tourism!

Thanks

Andrew