Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2013 Model S vs 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help here deciding between a 2013 Model S and a 2015 Model S. Mileage is pretty much the same. The 2013 is selling for $21,500 and the 2015 @ $26,200 on the Tesla website.

Thing is the 2013 has free transferable supercharging. We verified that with Tesla. The 2015 on the Tesla website doesn’t but does carry a one year mechanical warranty with the 8 year battery warranty

Based on free supercharging, model year, $, warranty. Which would you chose? A why would be helpful. Thanks!

2015 will have parking sensors the 2013 wont.
If you have plans to charge at home the free supercharging is not something to be weighing, and if you plan to mainly supercharge just walk away now. That is not meant to be primary charging and they will slow charging substantially if you do that all the time.

Honestly I wouldn't consider a 2013.

Done. Thanks for the feedback. A bit of patience to wait for Tesla to prepare the 2015 for delivery but I’m stoked.

The free supercharging seemed like a real good perk on that ‘13 but in reality I won’t be using it as much as I think I would. I road trip rarely. Pay per use will work. I’ll take the warm and fuzzy from the warranty.

Reactions: pinke2323
2015 will have parking sensors the 2013 wont.
If you have plans to charge at home the free supercharging is not something to be weighing, and if you plan to mainly supercharge just walk away now. That is not meant to be primary charging and they will slow charging substantially if you do that all the time.

Honestly I wouldn't consider a 2013.
both the 2013 and 2015 will already have substantially slowed charging. Chargegate slowed every 85 to avoid causing more fires, its unavoidable. I don't think older teslas will ever get back the old charge speeds without a battery replacement program.

If you must buy a used Tesla get the newest one you can afford. Also, the 2015 will have autopilot and more safety because if it.

"Free" supercharging is just prepaid, and not worth much. Charge at home unless your time is worthless.

Reactions: ‘Merica
I have a '16 MS and recently had a loaner '13 MS from the SC. I felt it was night and day the difference in just 3 yrs. The '13 felt heavier and slower, the interior was not as comfortable, and many of the little extras were missing (auto headlights, auto close on charging port, no AP only basic cruise control, and turn signal stalks in different positions). I found the older dash screen layout very annoying.
I'd definitely go with newest model you can afford.

Tesla doesn't even sell anything older than a '15. The older ones, '13 &'14's, are just used for loaner cars.

both the 2013 and 2015 will already have substantially slowed charging. Chargegate slowed every 85 to avoid causing more fires, its unavoidable. I don't think older teslas will ever get back the old charge speeds without a battery replacement program.

If you must buy a used Tesla get the newest one you can afford. Also, the 2015 will have autopilot and more safety because if it.

"Free" supercharging is just prepaid, and not worth much. Charge at home unless your time is worthless.
If I were shopping i would presume all older cars have been throttled when supercharging but while my 2014 P85 had it's winter supercharging speed crippled the warm temp supercharging seems OK based on the one time this summer I tried. It actually hit 128kw for a second before settling at 120kw for a minute and began to taper. That was better than I expected.

Again I would presume an older car will be capped at like 73kw but you might get lucky.

The AP availability late 2014+ should really be the biggest factor.

Peak 128 looks ok but you will be much lower than before batterygate just 5 minutes later. They peak high so it looks impressive before you walk away, then slow down so much a few minutes later the time estimate is off by as much as 100%. I'd pay to have my charging cap increased to 73kW!

Some are better than others. Mine is slower than most but someone at work has a base 85 worse off. To paraphrase the Jedi " there's always an even more crippled fish."