Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2014 model S 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I recently bought a used 2014 Model S 85.
Currently has 30k miles on it. I have a few questions for this vehicle. First off I wanna say I’m super happy/excited that I’m part of the club ! Tesla has always been my dream car . Anyways,

1st question :
I have heard about this MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 “recall” thing going around , should I just wait for a recall instead of paying the 1.5k? My screen isn’t sluggish, still rocking that 3G too. (Oh and my car isn’t equipped with any AP)

2nd question:
I currently have free super charging , well at least I think I do... I already charged it twice without having to pay anything . As of right now my Tesla isn’t under my name/account on Tesla app. Im afraid if I call Tesla to add it they may remove that FSC. :( is that possible ? Since I did buy it from a dealership.

Third question: warranty.
Overall the car looks almost new , interior/exterior. Since it’s 2014 with 30k miles , should I take it to a Tesla auto center to have it checked for any issues that are not visible? The only problem I see (which is common on the old ones ) is the moisture that’s stuck in the tail light , goes away after a day though. But I heard it can get worse.

I know I may get some feedback stating why I didn’t do my research here and there , but you guys need to understand , I love Tesla haha
Thank you guys so much for your help! And I’m proud to be part of this community .

also, if I posted in the wrong section, I apologize !

If you're not unhappy with MCU1, I'd just keep it.

It may be a problem in the future if you need Tesla's assistance to unlock the car remotely and it is not in your name. I don't think you have access to the app without it being on your account either, and that would be a significant drawback. Supercharging should transfer over.

I wouldn't waste time with an inspection. You already own the car. Just fix things as needed.

I recently bought a used 2014 Model S 85....

Congratulations

...I have heard about this MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 “recall” thing going around , should I just wait for a recall instead of paying the 1.5k? My screen isn’t sluggish, still rocking that 3G too. (Oh and my car isn’t equipped with any AP)

The recall is very specific to the eMMC flash memory. The recall is for MCU1 for MCU1, not a free upgrade to MCU2.

I wouldn't sweat as your MCU1 is still functioning.

...2nd question:
I currently have free super charging , well at least I think I do... I already charged it twice without having to pay anything . As of right now my Tesla isn’t under my name/account on Tesla app. Im afraid if I call Tesla to add it they may remove that FSC. :( is that possible ? Since I did buy it from a dealership...

Enjoy the free supercharging while you can.

It's a grey area if Tesla will remove it from you by claiming that you didn't pay for that feature.

Legally, it should be included in the bill of sale. If not, it could be argued as a courtesy, promotional, bonus... for the original owner but once it's your turn, there's no proof on the bill of sale to claim that feature.

It's very likely that as soon as Tesla knows that it is free from the obligation from the original owner, your free supercharging will be removed.

...Since it’s 2014 with 30k mile..

The new car warranty is good for 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever first and it's now way past 2018, so your new car warranty is gone.

There's no need to bring your car in if it's still running.

Congratulations

The recall is very specific to the eMMC flash memory. The recall is for MCU1 for MCU1, not a free upgrade to MCU2.

I wouldn't sweat as your MCU1 is still functioning.

Enjoy the free supercharging while you can.

It's a grey area if Tesla will remove it from you by claiming that you didn't pay for that feature.

Legally, it should be included in the bill of sale. If not, it could be argued as a courtesy, promotional, bonus... for the original owner but once it's your turn, there's no proof on the bill of sale to claim that feature.

It's very likely that as soon as Tesla knows that it is free from the obligation from the original owner, your free supercharging will be removed.

The new car warranty is good for 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever first and it's now way past 2018, so your new car warranty is gone.

There's no need to bring your car in if it's still running.
Thank you for your response sir . Ahhh I don’t wanna call Tesla for the app access. But at the same time I want to be able to use the app for my car haha! Thanks again !

If you're not unhappy with MCU1, I'd just keep it.

It may be a problem in the future if you need Tesla's assistance to unlock the car remotely and it is not in your name. I don't think you have access to the app without it being on your account either, and that would be a significant drawback. Supercharging should transfer over.

I wouldn't waste time with an inspection. You already own the car. Just fix things as needed.
Thank you sir

Only service to really take care of might be cleaning and lubricating the brakes and changing the cabin filter. Buy a filter on Amazon for $15 and do it yourself. It takes about 5 minutes. The brakes are also user serviceable regular brakes - no need to take the car to Tesla for that either.

• Informative
Reactions: rickyjb and beatle
The supercharging will transfer over. It is for the life of the vehicle. I also have a 2014 S85 and did the same. If its not in your name you can't use the app which is one of the best features of the car, so don't delay!

The supercharging will transfer over. It is for the life of the vehicle. I also have a 2014 S85 and did the same. If its not in your name you can't use the app which is one of the best features of the car, so don't delay!

It's hit and miss, inconsistent.

When it's not on the bill of sale, it's a policy. A policy can be changed at any time but Tesla usually honors the old policy for the original owner.

It's great that subsequent owners can still get it but it's inconsistent.

Free Unlimited Supercharging was a sure thing and associated with VIN, the car, not an owner.

Tesla used to honor that rule in their used cars by listing cars prior to 2017 as such.

But then, Tesla quietly took that away from all its used cars, even prior to 2017 cars have been stripped out of Free Unlimited Supercharging on their used car web page.

Last edited:
I also bought a 2014 P85+ used.
Free supercharging and everything transferred.
First thing I did was registering with Tesla to get the App working and being able to get a full service history, buy parts, and get services. I also set software updates to advanced (I think) to get new updates as soon as they are available. No problems yet, no throttling as far as I can tell. Since you are already at a recent version, there might not be any benefit in delaying updates and miss out on new features.
Did the same with our other used 2015 70D, again no problems associated with registering and software updating. My experience with service has been fine too. For example, yesterday I texted the SC, “hey, I need to change out a window controller but it needs software redeploy. I have recently updated to MCU2 and do not know how to do so through it”. SC replies, “text us when you are done, we can issue redeploy for you”. Based on the stories on this forum, I think that I have been lucky in these regards.

Reactions: Gumball and rickyjb
I also bought a 2014 P85+ used.
Free supercharging and everything transferred.
First thing I did was registering with Tesla to get the App working and being able to get a full service history, buy parts, and get services. I also set software updates to advanced (I think) to get new updates as soon as they are available. No problems yet, no throttling as far as I can tell. Since you are already at a recent version, there might not be any benefit in delaying updates and miss out on new features.
Did the same with our other used 2015 70D, again no problems associated with registering and software updating. My experience with service has been fine too. For example, yesterday I texted the SC, “hey, I need to change out a window controller but it needs software redeploy. I have recently updated to MCU2 and do not know how to do so through it”. SC replies, “text us when you are done, we can issue redeploy for you”. Based on the stories on this forum, I think that I have been lucky in these regards.
Insaneeeee, thanks man! So glad I joined this community

BTW, my P85+ is also pre AP but the 70D has AP1. I have not used the ap feature beyond testing as a novelty and I don't think that I ever will. So, you might not be missing much not having AP on yours if you are a control freak and love driving like me (although it seems many people love it).