Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2015 85D mess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger on a late build 85D at the end of March. 2 days for a call back, delivery scheduled for a week later. Couple hours before the scheduled delivery it gets postponed for a day or two for a "service issue". Ok, well that turns into 2 weeks of delays waiting for a power steering part. I arrived for the delivery today at 10am, they proceed to bleed the brakes and end up replacing the front brakes entirely while I wait. Still haven't seen the car.

After the tech does a road test I see it for the first time. A complete mess. Not only is it filthy inside and out there are scratches, chips and damage on nearly every body panel. The rear bumper looks like it has had hundreds of suitcases dragged over it. Destroyed. And there is a mysterious puddle on the rubber liner in the trunk which I'm about certain means the hatch is leaking, carpet under it was damp. Interior was filthy. I can't believe someone treated a nearly $100k car this way.

All that was offered from Tesla was a detailing. Not acceptable. Refused the delivery and now need to search for a different example that hasn't been abused like this. None of this abuse is evident in the photos.

2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E29FF117012 | False, Fa | Tesla

First thing they did was put me with a new car sales rep and we drove a LR Dual motor 3. It is bit too small for me and our family. I'm not going to say I won't do a 3 instead but it isn't what I intended to buy when I woke up this morning.

Back to the drawing board.

Oh, and I privately sold my existing car already so we are short a car while this gets sorted out.

You may like the Model 3 better due to the larger amount of miles, and the shorter time it takes to charge it. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the used 85D vs the costs for a new model3 ?

And BTW, it comes with the newest AP / FSD hardware vs a 2015 model. You may actually be happy you refused that 2015 model S.

Just over $43k for the 85D. The model 3 will be a bit more after all the rebates are claimed a year from now but the cargo ability of a S is in a different league. No question the power train of the 3 is more advanced, as is its AP but there is a real difference in seating and cargo space to me.

True. You should look at how often you will drive with the whole family and how often just by yourself.
If 80% is by yourself, then the fun of having a brand new state of the art car might be worth it over a roomier model S

The saga continues today. I locate another 85D on ev-cpo with less miles, has premium and hifi no smart air. Tesla rep says happens to be on their remote storage lot, someone will go get it and they will call me when I can see it. Hours pass. I take a chance and drive back to the store to see something before they close. Car has not been moved but they send someone to get it. Before I get eyes on it the guy says I have to warn you this car has already been refused on a delivery. There is a 4" gash in the front bumper between the drivers headlight and the wheel well. The drivers side view mirror housing is cracked. They tell me Tesla re-marketing only would agree to replace the mirror. F that.

I'm shocked at how badly these luxury cars are being cared for and the condition they are being returned in. No doubt these owners were charged for excess wear and tear. The staff at the store doesn't really seem to care. Unless you buy something new or inventory they don't get any inventive. We drove a 3 (again). Still not convinced.

Not sure if this helps or not but when I first started looking for a used Model S, I found one that I really liked located in CA. It was a 90D, had everything I was looking for, was in the price range, low mileage, etc... and the photos only showed one scratch. It was listed on ev-cpo for months (maybe a red flag) but I was watching it for about 2 weeks. As soon as I was ready to pull the trigger, the car was gone.

I was disappointed and immediately started looking at other cars. My wife (always wise when she wants to be :) ) told me not to settle and order one just because I lost the one I wanted. Anyway - I took a step back and a few weeks later, found one locally that I wound up buying (an 85D) that is better in every way.

Don't get discouraged and also consider ordering from another region and having it transported. If you have your heart set on a Model S, that is where I would focus my effort. Buying a Model 3 may lead to buyers remorse.

Just my two cents and good luck.

3rd time is a charm.....

After refusing 2 2015 85D's and a talking with Alex Farinha at Tesla in CA I reserved a different car from NJ instead. 85D built 2/16 with premium, sub 0, glass roof. Ordered late Monday and it was ready for pickup 6pm Saturday at Paramus NJ. According to CarFax this was a 3 year personal lease in PA. 36k miles later it is mine. Body was in very good shape, things that were questionable in the photos were not even there on the car when I got eyes on it. Needs a good wash, compound, polish, and ceramic coating but that was totally expected.

Front tires are new, new enough the residue from the labels was still visible on the tread. Rears are a different story. One is bald as an eagle. The other measures above the Tesla minimum but way too thin for my taste. Tesla made a due bill for the one and I'll replace the other at same time on my $ along with an alignment. It drives straight as an arrow but since one tire is mysteriously thin I have to suspect an issue and will fix it before another tire is damaged.

Today I noticed the windshield has 2 cracks in it on the passenger side. I'll let them know and no idea what happens there.

Car is great. 90% charge = 240 miles.

I noticed the included UMC shows plenty of use, to me that is a good sign that the car didn't spend its first 3 years of life being supercharged exclusively. The UMC sure looks like it was the primary charge tool which is all good with me. I'll do a 100% charge soon to see where the degradation really is.

The Tesla employees I spoke with thru this process all understand that the re-marketed (used, with warranty) car program needs work. They are so short staffed dealing with model 3 deliveries they don't have the resources to get the used side in order. I hope it improves but with ~700 used Model S cars in inventory across the US on any given day it is a blip on their radar about now.

Reactions: Denila