Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2015 Tesla Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I am interested in purchasing a 2015 Tesla Model S 85D. It has 78k miles on it and is going for about $29k. It is in excellent condition, with brakes changed, tires replaced, battery health good. The car has enhanced autopilot, unlimited supercharging for life, and a range of the car at around 240 miles or so. The issue is there is the Tesla 8 year warranty expires in 6 weeks. I would like to have the car ideally for 8-10 years so I am not sure how long the car can truly last. Is it worth purchasing at that price, and if so what would my maintenance be like for the following 8-10 years. Is there potential in the car battery dying or one of the motors needing replacement, or is the 015 Tesla Model S 85D capable of lasting a totality of 15-20 years without a mishap.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Hello everyone. I am interested in purchasing a 2015 Tesla Model S 85D. It has 78k miles on it and is going for about $29k. It is in excellent condition, with brakes changed, tires replaced, battery health good. The car has enhanced autopilot, unlimited supercharging for life, and a range of the car at around 240 miles or so. The issue is there is the Tesla 8 year warranty expires in 6 weeks. I would like to have the car ideally for 8-10 years so I am not sure how long the car can truly last. Is it worth purchasing at that price, and if so what would my maintenance be like for the following 8-10 years. Is there potential in the car battery dying or one of the motors needing replacement, or is the 015 Tesla Model S 85D capable of lasting a totality of 15-20 years without a mishap.
I think you should look harder and maybe consider going newer. Be open to getting the car out of state as well whether you fly out and drive it down or it's shipped to you. What's the most you're willing to spend?

I think you should look harder and maybe consider going newer. Be open to getting the car out of state as well whether you fly out and drive it down or it's shipped to you. What's the most you're willing to spend?
I am trying to spend no more than $25-27k on this car. I liked this car bc it's relatively low miles on an 8 year old car. I would go up to 30k if it's within the past 5-6 years.

I am trying to spend no more than $25-27k on this car. I liked this car bc it's relatively low miles on an 8 year old car. I would go up to 30k if it's within the past 5-6 years.
When buying an older EV, I consider the battery age as much or more than the mileage on the car. EV batteries have lasted as long as 250,000-400,000 miles, similar to modern IC engines. Unlike IC engines, batteries are more susceptible to age related failures. Not just cell calendar life degradation, but also water intrusion, corrosion, and circuit board failures. Getting an older car for $25k can end up being more expensive than buying a newer car with a fresher battery. This is just how I see it, I could be wrong.

$25k + $16k for a new battery = $31k. Not that bad really. Another alterative would be a new Model 3 RWD for $33k after tax credit, or $30k for an inventory car. That would be a fresh battery with 8 year warranty and a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. Also new generation MCU, improved seats, improved sound system, faster charging, and lots of other improvements that Tesla has made from 2015 to 2013. The Model 3 RWD may not be as exclusive as the Model S, nor accelerate as fast, but it is lighter and more sporty to drive.

Good Luck with your purchase.

GSP

I'm not sure what the probability of a high-cost repair would be but it's really the HV battery replacement cost is what most folks fear. A drive unit, converter, and PTC heater can still cost thousands of dollars. Many folks aren't comfortable owning a Tesla beyond its warranty period. I bought our 11/13 built S85 used from Tesla which carried both its 8yr powertrain warranty and a 2yr/40K mile basic warranty. Within 2yr/30K miles I had the following replaced under warranty:
  • HV contactors
  • drive unit
  • HVAC drain hose
  • TPMS (Continental retrofit)
  • rear window defroster
I estimate all this warranty work would have been close to $10K. I've added about 70K miles to the car since owning it and plan to keep it for as long as I reasonably can. I'm prepared to pay for another drive unit in the future and a battery pack upgrade either through Tesla or a trusted 3rd party. I had the same mentality before I bought the car, but I must admit that I'm disappointed with the battery pack nerfing and now the issue of BMS warnings. It's the price you pay as a beta-tester. The way I see it, Tesla did not test the batteries under all conditions for years before producing the cars; they are discovering issues and limitations as they occur. It's not ideal but that's how I see it.

Now for the OP, if you think a HV battery replacement might be a probability I think the smart thing would be to consider that potential cost into your acquisition. In other words, would you pay $40K-$50K for that 85D? If so, then I think you'll enjoy the car. If not, I would think the risk and cost might be better spent on a new Model 3/Y with a Tesla warranty.

Reactions: OneEV
$25k + $16k for a new battery = $31k. Not that bad really. Another alterative would be a new Model 3 RWD for $33k after tax credit, or $30k for an inventory car. That would be a fresh battery with 8 year warranty and a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. Also new generation MCU, improved seats, improved sound system, faster charging, and lots of other improvements that Tesla has made from 2015 to 2013. The Model 3 RWD may not be as exclusive as the Model S, nor accelerate as fast, but it is lighter and more sporty to drive.
Since $25k + $16k is actually $41k, a new Model 3 looks even better. 🙂

First of all there is no enhanced autopilot on AP1 hardware.
I have an 85D as second owner, but I know the car history. What really helped was having extended support until 100k miles as a lot of things broke. Suspension arms are notorious, had all 4 shocks replaced due to leaks (cold climate and salt corroded the inlets), steering rack, half shafts, door handles and front motor.
The only solid thing (surprisingly) is the battery pack.
Knowing all the issues the 85 packs could have I would only look for a refresh model (very short window if you want FUSC) or trade the FUSC for a LR model 3 (found one locally with FSD and premium connectivity for 35k CAD, but nobody os buying the old S).
But if you really really want that car, inspect the fuse cover and have a battery readout. Hope it helps

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Hi there, if you do purchase the 85D, you should check out 057 Tech. @wk057 has an extended battery warranty program that includes a battery monitoring tool you plug into the car. From their website:

"As part of this program, you will plug in a small battery monitoring device into your vehicle (required for our program). This device will both assess the initial condition of your battery and continue to monitor its condition during the service plan period. Many times an impending failure can be detected well before the vehicle would normally alert the driver, and our monitoring device will try to make sure that you've got a covered repair or replacement in the works before you're stranded with an inoperable HV battery."

You can get a 2016.5 if you hover around 30k I see some 75D 90Ds 31-32k that could definitely be negotiated i would go on CarGurus and put the radius on nationwide and find yourself a deal. Model S’s aren’t flying off the shelf because elon dropped the prices. If you’re a buyer in this market you’re bound to get a steal. Check eBay, Craig’s and evlistings as well

I have one of these and it’s been great - and I might have it for a really long time now Tesla have said they are not doing model S in RHD.

Just to be clear on the autopilot point here - whilst it is true that AP1 cars do not have an “enhanced autopilot“ option- that is because they don’t need it. AP1 autopilot is just as good (many would say better- try it and see) than the EAP on the later cars. You just need to check that the car has it enabled - see the buttons for autosteer (beta) and summon (beta) are there on the autopilot menu. What the car will never do is FSD…

Reactions: IdaX
Me I count on the battery failing within the next 5 years though it is currently in good health. But for the cost of a used camry I'll have my excellent condition model S with essentially a new powertrain if that happens. Might even only cost me 2-3k if it happens during the aftermarket 057 warranty period.

Just saw something, I don't think any 2015 had "enhanced autopilot"? AP1 is what I have and mine is september 2015.

Also you need to make sure the seller shows your their car has "SC01" Free Unlimited Supercharging which will transfer to you. If it doesn't transfer to the next owner - 2015 it should but you need to make sure before handing money over - then the free supercharging the seller has enjoyed is irrelevant to you.

Also one thing that is slightly disappointing, you won't get the originally advertised 120kW charging on an 85kWh battery. I assumed that going in since I saw the specs say 120kW, but they've been throttled in supercharging speed to preserve battery health. Still better than the Leaf and Bolt but you will see newer teslas arrive after you and leave before you at the supercharger.

Still free is free, can't beat that deal. Just be prepared for road trips to take longer than you might have planned.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
I ended up purchasing the car for $27,000. There is unfortunately only one year left on that 8 year drive train warranty, but I am willing to take the gamble on an excellent car like this. The lifetime premium subscription and the lifetime unlimited supercharging were the major selling points that led me to the purchase. I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. But a question that I do have is if I decide to purchase the Extended Service for the car at tesla for whether it's 2 or 4 years, will it include the Drive Train or the Battery?

Also one thing that is slightly disappointing, you won't get the originally advertised 120kW charging on an 85kWh battery. I assumed that going in since I saw the specs say 120kW, but they've been throttled in supercharging speed to preserve battery health. Still better than the Leaf and Bolt but you will see newer teslas arrive after you and leave before you at the supercharger.

Still free is free, can't beat that deal. Just be prepared for road trips to take longer than you might have planned.
Congrats on your purchase! Although the power train is out of warranty, these cars with the small rear motor are relatively trouble free.
On the charge speed comment, whilst it is true that after “charge-gate” it does take longer overall to supercharge, the original 120kW limit was actually increased to 130kW. So if your battery is healthy (some have been capped) you should get this - albeit briefly at the start of a session.
It is true that newer cars supercharge faster - but hey, yours is free!
My 2015 car has done over 100000 miles and can hit 130kW.
IMG_1985.jpeg