Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 AP2 90D - Autopilot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just put my money down on a used 90D with AP2. It was listed on the website as having AP, not FSD, which is fine as I don't care for the FSD but was excited about the features for the standard AP2 which I had read was called EAP when it was being sold in 2016, 2017, 2018. I'm really excited but I was just reading my order confirmation and it lists this -

'Your vehicle comes with Standard Autopilot 2: Enables Emergency Collision Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring, Autosteer, Automatic Emergency Braking and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. * This version can be upgraded to Full Self-Driving at current market price of $7,000.00.'

I know that Tesla stripped back the AP offering in 2019 to either basic AP or FSD with numerous features that were in EAP now only being part of FSD and not AP. My question is that based on the listing of features in the email I received from Telsa is it possible that Tesla has retroactively removed functionality that was in EAP for cars originally manufactured at the end of 2016? As it looks like AutoPark, Smart Summon etc are all missing from the list of features they sent to me - those were features I thought I was buying.

Has anyone bought a used AP2 2016 recently and can confirm whether they had the EAP functionality or whether Tesla had stripped it back?

The list of features that were named definitely describe standard AP and not EAP. It's very possible that they removed the EAP features to resell the car (perhaps at a slightly lower cost). It's very easy to do, they just have to install a software update. I think it makes sense that they would do that, so that everything is in line with how they sell AP nowadays.

The list of features that were named definitely describe standard AP and not EAP. It's very possible that they removed the EAP features to resell the car (perhaps at a slightly lower cost). It's very easy to do, they just have to install a software update. I think it makes sense that they would do that, so that everything is in line with how they sell AP nowadays.

I hope this isn't true, would seem like a huge bait and switch if it is

I hope this isn't true, would seem like a huge bait and switch if it is

What you read from the Tesla Used Car Webpage is what you get. If it says EAP then you get EAP. If it doesn't say EAP then you don't get EAP.

You should not assume features just because other cars running in the wild still have them. Features (Free Supercharging for life, EAP...) are routinely stripped away to simplify its sales practice.

It’s very possible the car never had EAP. I’ve always wondered if they can legally remove features someone paid for - topic for another thread.

you had to pay for EAP. It gave you auto lane change, nav on autopilot, smart summon. (I think that’s it) FSD was supposed to be city driving etc. AP, which is what this car has, was basically traffic aware cruise control and lane keeping assist. The same thing our Subaru has basically.

so they may have removed it or otherwise changed it around, but at a time there was plain AP, EAP, and FSD

How is it a bait and switch?

The car is being sold with AP, not EAP. Seems pretty clear to me.

I guess it's my naivety - but the autopilot terminology is confusing to someone coming from outside of Tesla. The real kicker is trying to get a hold of somebody from Tesla to answer questions such as this prior to purchasing a car, I found it impossible despite multiple methods to reach different people.

Oh well, still excited to pick the car up

For sure you should be excited. It’s a cool car. IMO it’s not as refined as a Benz or whatever in terms of luxury, and both of MSs had their faults, but it’s a cool car.

My 2016 75 had AP2. On the highway, the lane keeping was really good. The only thing you’re going to miss is the auto lane change because you’re going to have to disengage AP every time you make a lane change. I ended up buying FSD on my new one just for this :confused: (Beware - there is no “Are you really sure you want to buy this?” stage in the options purchase workflow!)

My tip of the day: there are three ways to disengage AP: apply the brake, fight the steering wheel, or push the cruise stalk forward. Except for fighting the steering wheel, the other two methods turn off cruise. So when you’re on the highway and want to change lanes, it kind of sucks to have to keep going for the accelerator pedal cuz you’ve disengaged cruise. But, if you push forward on the stalk and then quickly pull back just once, cruise is disengaged and then as soon as you pull, reengaged. There’s no autosteer cuz you only pulled back once. If you do it quickly enough the set speed will be the same, and with no autosteer you can make the lane change without jerking the steering wheel around. Then when you’re in the new lane, just pull back on the stalk twice to reengage autosteer. :cool:

Enjoy your new car!