Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 Model X 90D Purchase Log

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’d give another data point to all those searching for their first/latest/greatest Used Tesla deal.

For my first Tesla purchase, found a 12/16 90D MX with 37k miles, 4yr/50k Warranty, FSC, FSD, 6 Seats, Ultra HiFi, Premium Upgrades, Carbon Fiber, 22” Onyx Black Wheels, Black/Black Interior/Exterior... for $58,200 (plus $2,000 for shipping from CA to IL because the ‘rona put a wrench in road trip pickup plans and, well, safety first).

A few questions for the experts here:

A) 22” wheels and a ‘16 90D Battery Pack; a recipe for disaster, or a manageable shortcoming? Also, when life returns to normal, is a 170-190 mile round trip commute once a week feasible without a charge for this combo?

B) Is the MCU2 upgrade worth the $2,500 in the short term (6-12 months)?

3) Any reasonable estimates for delivery times? Anecdotal or empirical data sets welcome.

Thanks in advance for your experience and expertise, happy to be joining the fam!

Thought I’d give another data point to all those searching for their first/latest/greatest Used Tesla deal.

For my first Tesla purchase, found a 12/16 90D MX with 37k miles, 4yr/50k Warranty, FSC, FSD, 6 Seats, Ultra HiFi, Premium Upgrades, Carbon Fiber, 22” Onyx Black Wheels, Black/Black Interior/Exterior... for $58,200 (plus $2,000 for shipping from CA to IL because the ‘rona put a wrench in road trip pickup plans and, well, safety first).

A few questions for the experts here:

A) 22” wheels and a ‘16 90D Battery Pack; a recipe for disaster, or a manageable shortcoming? Also, when life returns to normal, is a 170-190 mile round trip commute once a week feasible without a charge for this combo?

B) Is the MCU2 upgrade worth the $2,500 in the short term (6-12 months)?

3) Any reasonable estimates for delivery times? Anecdotal or empirical data sets welcome.

Thanks in advance for your experience and expertise, happy to be joining the fam!
A) Highly unlikely. Highway range is typically a 10% hit (higher speeds) and then you add on those wheels into the equation (10-15% loss). Ultimately, it depends on too many factors to give a definitive answer.

B) Depends. What's the opportunity cost of the $2.5K?

3) Historical trends have shown that this is a very sluggish process and usually takes about a month or so. I'd curb the enthusiasm and expect it to take even longer in the current environment.

A) Highly unlikely. Highway range is typically a 10% hit (higher speeds) and then you add on those wheels into the equation (10-15% loss). Ultimately, it depends on too many factors to give a definitive answer.

B) Depends. What's the opportunity cost of the $2.5K?

3) Historical trends have shown that this is a very sluggish process and usually takes about a month or so. I'd curb the enthusiasm and expect it to take even longer in the current environment.

Thanks for the reply. Diminished range is a fair point, and it was fortunately in my budget to go to 20’s, but perhaps more research is needed to find the most efficient wheels. I do love the look of the 22” black wheels though.

I have a house, so there’s a million things to fix/update there, but I can’t compare opportunity cost vs. something I don’t know the true value of. Seems like I’d get the hw3 upgrade at the same time, does anyone know if that’s always true?

While taken with a grain of salt, UA said two weeks from 4/22 order date. I’m cautiously un-optimistic. I’m assuming I’ll forget about it and then be surprised by the delivery email. Unlikely though.

I have pretty much the exact same car as you (December 2016 Model X 90D w/ 22-inch silver turbines).

The 90 pack (even the V3 90 pack in our cars from late 2016) probably won't have the legs to do a 190 mile trip at highway speeds without charging especially not in the winter. I averaged around 450 wh/mi in the winter and 380 wh/mi in the summer, and I am in the south. The 22s are also a rougher ride and chew through tires which is why I got a set of 20-inch wheels that I will put on when these 22-inch tires are shot.

Since your commute is 190 miles round trip, it might be a good idea to find a place to plug in when you are at the office - 95 miles one way is very doable with the 90D and 22s.

I have pretty much the exact same car as you (December 2016 Model X 90D w/ 22-inch silver turbines).

The 90 pack (even the V3 90 pack in our cars from late 2016) probably won't have the legs to do a 190 mile trip at highway speeds without charging especially not in the winter. I averaged around 450 wh/mi in the winter and 380 wh/mi in the summer, and I am in the south. The 22s are also a rougher ride and chew through tires which is why I got a set of 20-inch wheels that I will put on when these 22-inch tires are shot.

Since your commute is 190 miles round trip, it might be a good idea to find a place to plug in when you are at the office - 95 miles one way is very doable with the 90D and 22s.

I'm trying to create some charging options for customers at one of my companies location (next to our corporate office, so not completely altruistic...) and there are two superchargers and a handful of destination chargers in the area. I'm upgrading from a Hyundai Sonata, so the trade off for me getting into a bigger (I'm 6'8" and have only driven sedans), more advanced, non-ICE vehicle makes it a lot easier to justify the need to hit a supercharger on that commute. I am going to go to 19's or 20's for winter, maybe sooner.

How do you like yours? I just got the delivery text scheduling for 5/1, 4/22 order shipped from CA.

Also, is Tesla still matching CarMax Appraisal Offers? Tesla's offer was $2000 short and I'd love to spare the hassle of selling and buying separately.

I would note, repeat NOT get this - I bought the same car but with 20 inch wheels Dec 2018.
Mileage is absolutely terrible.

I live in CT, so nowhere as cold as you but even now with temps in the 40-50’s, my range with highway driving is closer to 140-150 miles - closer to 120 miles when it gets below freezing.
I also have supercharging stations nearby and on my daily commute - but it’s not like a gas station where you can just fill up and go. It becomes a real pain when you have done 40-50 miles in a day, decide to go somewhere else and realize that you will be just squeaking by.
Or if it gets really cold and your range drops substantially so that you can’t get back home without stopping.

And yes, you can load up your car with things to do while you charge - i always have a kindle with me - but it’s a diff situation when you are headed home after being out at a friends place at midnight -1 AM and have to stop for 30 minutes in a charging station to make it home.

And it’s not just me, coincidentally my next door neighbor has the same MX 90D and we often commiserate about the frustration with the range.