Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 Model X 90V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240V

Sep 17, 2019
ny
Hi All, I just put a deposit on a used 2016 Model X 90D. I was super excited about my purchase until I started reading some of the posts on this forum about the earlier design flaws such as the noisy cabin while driving at faster speeds, not having a rear door sensor (door closing on your head) and the ride feeling a lot more harsh than newer models (older suspension). Was told by my used Tesla advisor that my car was built in October 2016. Can some of the experts please chime in and let me know if any of these issues were fixed by October. I recall reading about the late 2016's being more desirable. My sales advisor wasn't sure. Thanks in advance!!

Hi All, I just put a deposit on a used 2016 Model X 90D. I was super excited about my purchase until I started reading some of the posts on this forum about the earlier design flaws such as the noisy cabin while driving at faster speeds, not having a rear door sensor (door closing on your head) and the ride feeling a lot more harsh than newer models (older suspension). Was told by my used Tesla advisor that my car was built in October 2016. Can some of the experts please chime in and let me know if any of these issues were fixed by October. I recall reading about the late 2016's being more desirable. My sales advisor wasn't sure. Thanks in advance!!

In October of 2016, there was a transition.. does that X have AP1 (Autopilot with convenience features), or does it have AP2 (Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, or Full self driving)?

I ran into a couple yesterday at the service center that just purchased a used 2016 X about 3 months ago. They've now been having to head into service repeatedly due to their falcon wing doors detecting false obstructions (and their sensors have been replaced a number of times), they're also having issues with A/C, and they seemed absolutely frustrated.

I have a very early 2016 and don't feel the noise is bad at all. Much quieter than the 2018 MS's I have driven.

As far as the suspension you are going to have to get a Raven to change that.

This post flips your comment on the FWD head sensor but I can tell you my 2016 will still hit you when closing. It will stop on the way up if you are standing near it though.

Late 2018 MX Falcon wing door sensors?

Here is another thread on the sensors. Answers are mixed on all cars and they all seem to want to eat you at times.

Inside door sensors

I just got a used 2016 X P100D with October build date delivered from Tesla about 2 weeks ago and other than some initial concerns about battery degradation, the car is solid. I had them run the shudder TSB before delivery and the car has no shudder issues and is very silent in the cabin. I was worried about that as well. The falcon wing doors seem to work fine - I don't know about a potential for closing on me. As long as you can tolerate what I understand to be pretty widespread battery range degradation in the early 90 kWh packs, I think the car could be pretty good for you and a good value.

I don't think the cabin noise has been reduced much. Felt the same test-driving a new one.
New suspension is better.
They did add closing sensors to the falcon wing doors. Never had a real problem with them closing on me but have walked into them partially open which sucked (ouch).
The only timing changes I can think of for your purchase would be AP1 vs AP2 and what version of the 90 battery.

I just got a used 2016 X P100D with October build date delivered from Tesla about 2 weeks ago and other than some initial concerns about battery degradation, the car is solid. I had them run the shudder TSB before delivery and the car has no shudder issues and is very silent in the cabin. I was worried about that as well. The falcon wing doors seem to work fine - I don't know about a potential for closing on me. As long as you can tolerate what I understand to be pretty widespread battery range degradation in the early 90 kWh packs, I think the car could be pretty good for you and a good value.
Can you explain what the “shudder TSb” is about?

Can you explain what the “shudder TSb” is about?

Apparently all Xs have been affected by some kind of violent rattling in the drivetrain under heavy acceleration developing over time, which owners refer to as shudder. For a long time Tesla said it was normal but very recently they issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) that describes to their technicians how to diagnose the problem and replace parts to prevent it. If you search, the actual text of the TSB is available on this forum. The issue is likely to affect any used X that hasnt had it fixed yet.

Had a May2016 order and Sep2016 delivery X. Was AP1. The only time we had road noise concerns was when the front passenger door's small triangle window (the one in front of the primary window) was not flush with the seals at delivery. Never had an issue with the door NOT detecting an obstacle, the issue was when in direct sunlight on a hot day (90°F+), it would have intermittent false obstacle detections on the Falcon Wing Doors.

Some of the earlier Xs also has a front door latch problem. Luckily you get can them retrofit-ed. Ask the Tesla advisor to see if you can get your front door latch and falcon door buttons retrofit before delivery.

this is what I did with mine but after delivery to avoid waiting. got a free upgrade to the latest and greatest so no more shudder and quiet front doors. I like the older fwd interior buttons so left it.

Reactions: P85_DA
We had a September 2016 Model X and loved it. It wasn’t perfect and had several minor repairs that more recently were taken care of at home with mobile service. These generally involved rattles that they fixed. Occasionally the doors could bop a passenger on the head if they weren’t careful, but that really wasn’t a big deal. You just get used to the FWDs and where to stand, etc. It drove beautifully and we never noticed any rattling at acceleration - just typical car rattles (just rented a new Toyota and it rattled a lot). Tesla was always very good about taking care of any problems. Overall, it was the most enjoyable car we’ve ever had (more than our S because the X spoils you with the automatic front driver door closing feature).