Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 P90D - good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not think I'd be terribly concerned with the miles. However, I would want to understand a few things like what's the story behind the extra bumper which I see included in the listing. I'd also want to understand if the MCU has been replaced so it's now MCU2. I also see this noted as currently 3rd owner. That lead to questioning if this car would still have it's free unlimited supercharging or if it has gone back through Tesla's hand at any time.

Hello,

New to the EV / Tesla world. Here is the vehicle I’m interested in. Got the seller down to $40K flat.

Good deal or should I be concerned with the miles?

Ask him to charge it to max to see how many miles you can get as well and see how much the battery has degraded. Also yes MCU2 is important to know if they have it. The miles are somewhat high you might be able to do better if you take a look around the country and just have the car shipped to you

I do not think I'd be terribly concerned with the miles. However, I would want to understand a few things like what's the story behind the extra bumper which I see included in the listing. I'd also want to understand if the MCU has been replaced so it's now MCU2. I also see this noted as currently 3rd owner. That lead to questioning if this car would still have it's free unlimited supercharging or if it has gone back through Tesla's hand at any time.
I wonder if it was a nosecone and he bought one of the after market psuedo facelift bumpers?

Ask him to charge it to max to see how many miles you can get as well and see how much the battery has degraded.
You really don't need to charge it to 100%. They can charge it to 90% and you can ratio the results. Key is to let it stop charging on it's own but then read the rated miles pretty soon after it quits charging, like 5-10 minutes. I know some will say that it's only accurate if you charge to 100%, but I have over 6.5 years of data where I've captured the results at the end of every charging session. When you plot it over time, it's impossible to pick out the roughly 25 or some times I've charged to 100% from the 1,200 other points in my graph.

I wonder if it was a nosecone and he bought one of the after market psuedo facelift bumpers?
I pondered that as well, but from the VIN, I'm guessing it was around a early May build which would be an early new fascia (mine is a mid-June lineset date and VIN about 11,000 higher than what's in the listing). Also, in one of the photos in the listing you can just see what looks like the sliding door top of the center console which also suggests new front end. But I do wonder what the story is with the spare bumper.

You really don't need to charge it to 100%. They can charge it to 90% and you can ratio the results. Key is to let it stop charging on it's own but then read the rated miles pretty soon after it quits charging, like 5-10 minutes. I know some will say that it's only accurate if you charge to 100%, but I have over 6.5 years of data where I've captured the results at the end of every charging session. When you plot it over time, it's impossible to pick out the roughly 25 or some times I've charged to 100% from the 1,200 other points in my graph.
That's good to know, thanks!

It looks like it was originally a nosecone model just by the HID headlights. All refreshed MS had the LED headlights that had a more blacked-out look. Also the radar is still located on the bottom grill. Refresh models had them behind the bumper.
And the bumper looks like a psuedo bumper, especially where the Tesla logo meets the older style hood.

Honestly not sure why people "upgrade" - I like the classic Model S look on my P90D.

Hello,

New to the EV / Tesla world. Here is the vehicle I’m interested in. Got the seller down to $40K flat.

Check the Classified section here on TMC for comparables, too 👍

Hello,

Thanks all. I actually think I am going to pass as the chrome delete wrap was in pretty bad shape and the rim had some curb rash. MCU1 too I believe. The price just seems a bit too high for me.

Also the battery was a V1…not sure if that’s a thing to be concerned about on the P90D.

Thoughts are appreciated!