Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2017 Model S being sold as 75 but pictures say 60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a 2017 model s 75 from tesla's website. While looking through the pictures on the one i wanted, i noticed the rear bumper had the "60" badge on it. Does this mean that they upgraded the battery or is it inappropriately labeled? Any concerns about this or anything I should look out for during the 2017 year of production? First time to-be tesla owner. Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a 2017 model s 75 from tesla's website. While looking through the pictures on the one i wanted, i noticed the rear bumper had the "60" badge on it. Does this mean that they upgraded the battery or is it inappropriately labeled? Any concerns about this or anything I should look out for during the 2017 year of production? First time to-be tesla owner. Thanks!
These cars were sold as a 60 but have a 75 Kwh battery. Its just a software change that is applied and Tesla will rebadge the car.

It should be fine mine was sold as a 75 but came as a 70. They couldn't fix it at pickup but they were able to push an update overnight that increased it to 75. I still need to take it in and have it rebadged and uncorked to 4.2 sec 0-60 but that is more involved and requires a service center visit

I saw the same thing on a picture of a used X. I wasn’t sure if the upgrade had already been done and the badge had not been changed, or if the upgrade was included in the sale and had not been done yet.

Look at the dash display and that shows the software whether 60 or 75. If they are selling it as a 75 I’m sure they will push the software. As a bonus the 60’s will likely have never been charged to 100 percent of actual capacity because they are buffered to roughly 90 percent at the max anyway. They only chance to have ever fully changed to 75 would be when Tesla gave full capacity during natural disasters.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
I had.. Purchased as a 60D, Upgraded to 75D and then uncorked.. Uncork only works for AWD Models.
The uncork does work fo RWD 75’s also, but not all, specifically not early S75’s. I believe any S 75D’s can be uncorked but it is VIN specific for the S 75’s. The acceleration is virtually identical to the uncorked 75D for the newer uncorked RWD S75 if eligible

The uncork does work fo RWD 75’s also, but not all, specifically not early S75’s. I believe any S 75D’s can be uncorked but it is VIN specific for the S 75’s. The acceleration is virtually identical to the uncorked 75D for the newer uncorked RWD S75 if eligible

How early? Mine is a Jan 2017 ap2. Any idea? I think that an uncork puts it to about 280 amps max.
I’m waiting for my computer upgrade and would like to see if they would uncork it while it’s in the shop. Thanks

How early? Mine is a Jan 2017 ap2. Any idea? I think that an uncork puts it to about 280 amps max.
I’m waiting for my computer upgrade and would like to see if they would uncork it while it’s in the shop. Thanks
For S75 RWD, the uncork only applies for those manufactured mid July 2017 and later, and it should have come from the factory uncorked given that they weren't selling the S60 anymore by that point.

Reactions: Krash and ucmndd
No RWD 75s were ever “uncorked” by Tesla after they left the factory. They were either delivered that way or not.

Double-check that everything refers to 75 in your “paperwork” and be prepared to bail if anything smells fishy.

Tesla may be unlocking software-locked 60 batteries that are physically 75s to make the cars more desirable (with the benefit that charging a locked battery to “100%” is really charging it to 80%), but it could also be a glitch in their system that would inevitably wind up costing you time and frustration.

Double-check that everything refers to 75 in your “paperwork” and be prepared to bail if anything smells fishy.

Tesla may be unlocking software-locked 60 batteries that are physically 75s to make the cars more desirable (with the benefit that charging a locked battery to “100%” is really charging it to 80%), but it could also be a glitch in their system that would inevitably wind up costing you time and frustration.
I would say this is especially true of anyone buying an S75D that specifies 0-60 MPH in 4.2 seconds, as having a screenshot showing it as proof would help if a service center gives any pushback on uncorking (again, only applies for Dual motor trims).

Hey there!

I bought a used Model S 75 back in August that was originally a software-locked 60.

The car was delivered to me without a badge on the trunk identifying its capacity and I’ve kept it that way being I prefer the look.

My car has 55k miles on it now and a full charge still gets me a rated 231 miles of range. I haven’t lost a single mile of range to battery degradation after putting 15,000 miles on it since August.

As for uncorking it, mine was not eligible per the service center.