Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2018 Model 3 LR RWD Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you plan to sell and re purchase another Tesla, let’s forget about it. The EAP costs me 5000 if I remember correctly and add FSD 2600. And if I want to get same features today I need pay 9000. For a reason simple as that, I will keep my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD.

As @corlaandstan mentioned EAP was originally $6600 CDN. The sale price last year for FSD was $2600 CDN. $9200 CDN total, same as the ‘new’ FSD price is today. Both ultimately include FSD 3 computer as well.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Your EAP cost you at least CDN $6600.00 + tax ( if bought at original sale time or CDN $ 9200.00 if after sale ) & your FSD was at the "best" price CDN $2700.00 + tax in March 2019. FSD was mostly CDN $3600.00 +tax.

As @corlaandstan mentioned EAP was originally $6600 CDN. The sale price last year for FSD was $2600 CDN. $9200 CDN total, same as the ‘new’ FSD price is today. Both ultimately include FSD 3 computer as well.

You guys are right on the numbers, and I did purchase FSD at 2600CAD , just because I like the HW3 upgrade. For me at this time , an upfront 9000 CAD is just too much to think of given most I needed features are in original EAP offerings. Plus the depreciations on addon features will be steep given history of 2nd hand car markets here. So even if I really want Y with AWD LR to replace my RWD LR Model 3 , I can’t afford to do so. Sorry Elon.

You guys are right on the numbers, and I did purchase FSD at 2600CAD , just because I like the HW3 upgrade. For me at this time , an upfront 9000 CAD is just too much to think of given most I needed features are in original EAP offerings. Plus the depreciations on addon features will be steep given history of 2nd hand car markets here. So even if I really want Y with AWD LR to replace my RWD LR Model 3 , I can’t afford to do so. Sorry Elon.

Ya same here. Wish they would let us transfer FSD to another car I would move it from RWD LR to a Y AWD LR or perf otherwise waiting on CyberTruck for range comfort and performance for cheap

It's not my car, but yeah may be an early reservation as some people got theirs in May so it may be a year. I received mine May 31st, so I wouldn't be able to sell until June, but at this stage I'd be losing too much to be worth it. $73.3k with EAP, plus another $2.6k FSD when on sale so $75.9k + tax = $85.7k - $14k rebate = $71.7k, based on this resale I wouldn't get nearly that much (possibly 60-65k as it's white+FSD+only 8k on it), anyway I'll keep it.

If anything these price shenanigans from earlier this year made me reluctant to deposit on a MY which is likely what I was going to upgrade to, I'll have to wait until they start rolling out and then purchase one/sell my M3.

It doesn’t matter what you paid for it. You need to compare what it cost today to replace it vs what you can sell it for today and the cost of what you want to upgrade to.

If you paid say $80k and it cost $50k today and you sold it for $45k today you lost $5k in depreciation, not $35k. If the upgraded trim cost say $60k your out of pocket is $25k. The high trim costs less too.

You’ve already lost that price drop. But if your thinking of upgrading you need to look at relative differences today, in what value you have and the difference it will take to get what you want.

Another way of thinking of it. If there were no price drops and your car depreciated a lot less, say 10%. The car you want to upgrade to probably is more expensive too and the difference might have been even larger !! So you depreciated less but out of pocket is more and now you give yourself the green light to upgrade?

Forget what you paid and look at out of pocket cost to upgrade. compare current prices, so you get a feel of how much asset value your trading and not drive yourself crazy.

Reactions: pcons
Hello all,

First time poster. I hope this is the appropriate thread to post in.

I am dead set on purchasing a model 3 Standard Range Plus, used. However, I have a question in regards to financing. Based on prices, it appears that third party dealers are priced higher than some used Teslas that I have seen on the Tesla CA website.

I know that Tesla gives an extended warranty when you buy used directly from them. Any advise on who I should purchase from? Shift Motors In Mississauga seems like a reputable third party dealer. I'm just not sure who I should purchase from. Thank you kindly!

Reactions: zwz002
Hello all,

First time poster. I hope this is the appropriate thread to post in.

I am dead set on purchasing a model 3 Standard Range Plus, used. However, I have a question in regards to financing. Based on prices, it appears that third party dealers are priced higher than some used Teslas that I have seen on the Tesla CA website.

I know that Tesla gives an extended warranty when you buy used directly from them. Any advise on who I should purchase from? Shift Motors In Mississauga seems like a reputable third party dealer. I'm just not sure who I should purchase from. Thank you kindly!
Feels like you've answered your own question. If Tesla is priced lower than third party dealers and Tesla provides extended warranty, then why not buy from Tesla?

Got my trade-in value from Tesla today. $47000. Guess I'll be selling it privately

Doesn't seem that bad? I was considering an M3P last June when my LR RWD with EAP and FSD was one year old and had about 40,000km. They offered me $39000. You'll always get more going private of course but I found that super low. This seems more about right.

How much were you expecting?

I don't want to redirect this thread/conversation... but I didn't buy FSD when I got my Model 3 RWD in June of 2018.

Now looking forward a few more years - I wonder how many people might just upgrade to FSD in order to get the new HW3 (and all the new features that will inevitably come with it in the next few years). Especially if there are no other material/physical changes.

Isn't it like getting a new car (obviously without the warranty....) for 10k?

I don't want to redirect this thread/conversation... but I didn't buy FSD when I got my Model 3 RWD in June of 2018.

Now looking forward a few more years - I wonder how many people might just upgrade to FSD in order to get the new HW3 (and all the new features that will inevitably come with it in the next few years). Especially if there are no other material/physical changes.

Isn't it like getting a new car (obviously without the warranty....) for 10k?
Depends what those new features are. Doesn't seem worth it for things like visualizations of traffic cones. On the other hand, if they do get to FSD...

Doesn't seem that bad? I was considering an M3P last June when my LR RWD with EAP and FSD was one year old and had about 40,000km. They offered me $39000. You'll always get more going private of course but I found that super low. This seems more about right.
How much were you expecting?
I was expecting low 50s. Selling privately would probably be a few grand more.

keep in mind you also save the taxes of 47k when you trade in a car. You’ll need to score over 53k in private sale to break even, and you’ll need to deal with all the things that comes with private sale.
I definitely get that, which is why I considered trading in to begin with. I don't really mind dealing with a private sale, but for some reason I'm more inclined to just not selling it anymore...

I'm debating a used Tesla right now. What should I be on the lookout for?

Accidents?

VIN Search and match it to the build/design. Does it have a salvage/accident?
Odometer reading (Warranty / Repair History from Tesla).
Paint matching on all panels.

Driving/Charging:

Test drive and listen for weird sounds all the way up to highway speeds. Push/punch it off the line/drive it slowly in the parking lot over speed bumps.
Wipers / signals / TPMS / TACC.
Test Supercharging, regular charging with UMC / J1772 adaptor. Is there a ChaDeMo adaptor thrown in or selling?

The convenient stuff:

Check if it has EAP/FSP ($$$)
Does the seller's Bluetooth phone key work?
Does the seller's phone app work to change climate/unlock/remote access the car?
Does the car have Homelink?