Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2018 Model 3 - MCU powering off several times consistently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got a used Model 3 from a third party. It has really low miles (Less than 7k) and right off the bat the screen has powered off several times every trip and sometimes back to back, only staying alive for a few minutes.

I was able to get the software updated to the latest hoping that would fix it but it is still happening. I just unplugged the two usb ports for charging, hoping that will fix when I take it to work in the morning. I am not able to use the app yet until Tesla accepts the transfer.

Is this something that has been seen before? I've seen a few posts here and there but nothing showing that this is a common issue. Any help appreciated!

So I just got a used Model 3 from a third party. It has really low miles (Less than 7k) and right off the bat the screen has powered off several times every trip and sometimes back to back, only staying alive for a few minutes.

I was able to get the software updated to the latest hoping that would fix it but it is still happening. I just unplugged the two usb ports for charging, hoping that will fix when I take it to work in the morning. I am not able to use the app yet until Tesla accepts the transfer.

Is this something that has been seen before? I've seen a few posts here and there but nothing showing that this is a common issue. Any help appreciated!
Did someone put on a swivel mount on the screen?

Have a look at this

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
2018 with 7k miles. Very suspicious.
Why is it very suspicious?

My 80+ year old parents had one of the first batch of Model 3's delivered in Vegas, theirs is a 2018 with only 10K miles currently. They never drove much to begin with, but moreso if you didn't drive much during COVID lockdowns, and since then if you're immunocompromised at that age.

Some people don't drive much, but want a nice car for when they do...

EDIT: My guess is OP's problem could be related to a dying 12V battery, my parents car was always well-behaved, then a year ago had all sorts of issues with not sleeping, features temporarily disabled, etc., and such until finally the 12V battery warning popped up as the root issue.

Reactions: toolman335
Why is it very suspicious?

My 80+ year old parents had one of the first batch of Model 3's delivered in Vegas, theirs is a 2018 with only 10K miles currently. They never drove much to begin with, but moreso if you didn't drive much during COVID lockdowns, and since then if you're immunocompromised at that age.

Some people don't drive much, but want a nice car for when they do...

EDIT: My guess is OP's problem could be related to a dying 12V battery, my parents car was always well-behaved, then a year ago had all sorts of issues with not sleeping, features temporarily disabled, etc., and such until finally the 12V battery warning popped up as the root issue.
This message board was FULL of people who stayed home in 2020 with Teslas with dying 12V batteries. Our repeated advice is these cars don't like sitting down for indefinite periods of time.