Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2019 Model S Raven vs New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Hoping to get some feedback from the group!

I Put down a deposit for a new Model Y due for delivery early next year. I have also been keeping my eye out on Used 2019 Model S (Raven) under 30,000 miles. Pricing for the Model Y (with only Autopilot added) was around $75k. Used 2019 Model S (Raven) with FSD is at $80k with about 25k miles through the used car tesla inventory. Without FSD I am seeing around $70k with similar mileage Model S Raven.

Is it worth it to get the Raven powertrain for the Model S? I am concerned buying a user car without even seeing actual pictures. I have heard good and bad things on this process.

Any advice or feedback would be great!

Thanks!

Imo I'd seek out a late 2020 or early 2021 model s not through tesla (auto trader, cars.com, etc). You can pick one up with Fsd for low 80s, if you are patient and check often probably even high 70s.
Only benefit of buy through tesla is the extra year of warranty but not being able to see the vehicle before purchasing is a no go for me.

Raven saw adjustable suspension and change in front motor for increased efficiency and better one pedal driving.

Absolutely if it's in the budget, go that direction.
Great thanks!
Imo I'd seek out a late 2020 or early 2021 model s not through tesla (auto trader, cars.com, etc). You can pick one up with Fsd for low 80s, if you are patient and check often probably even high 70s.
Only benefit of buy through tesla is the extra year of warranty but not being able to see the vehicle before purchasing is a no go for me.
Great thanks! I'll update my filters. Yes agreed!

Great thanks!

Great thanks! I'll update my filters. Yes agreed!
Additional filters:
I'd do less than 30k miles for warranty purposes (depends on how much you will drive also, so should look for less miles if you drive a lot), warranty is 50k miles.

Vehicle built after June 2020, increased range and I believe faster Supercharging but this is not confirmed. I believe the vin has to be greater than 415000, you will have to confirm.

Fsd, look for pictures of that software screen. Many dealers don't post that screen or even know what Fsd is so you will have to ask them to take a picture of that screen. It has to say included under "full self driving capability". If it's not included it will say included under autopilot.

Don't be afraid to look at long distances, at the very least it will give you an idea what the market is like even if you don't want to travel far for it.

Additional filters:
I'd do less than 30k miles for warranty purposes (depends on how much you will drive also, so should look for less miles if you drive a lot), warranty is 50k miles.

Vehicle built after June 2020, increased range and I believe faster Supercharging but this is not confirmed. I believe the vin has to be greater than 415000, you will have to confirm.

Fsd, look for pictures of that software screen. Many dealers don't post that screen or even know what Fsd is so you will have to ask them to take a picture of that screen. It has to say included under "full self driving capability". If it's not included it will say included under autopilot.

Don't be afraid to look at long distances, at the very least it will give you an idea what the market is like even if you don't want to travel far for it.
Got it, perfect, thanks! We do about 10k miles/year, so I think less than 30k should work. Is there much difference between the late 2020 and early 2021 Model S? Also random question: Do you use the Tesla Insurance?

Got it, perfect, thanks! We do about 10k miles/year, so I think less than 30k should work. Is there much difference between the late 2020 and early 2021 Model S? Also random question: Do you use the Tesla Insurance?

Improvements were made June 2020. Then model year 2021 started in November of 2020. Then in February? Of 2021 the refresh was released with the yoke steering wheel which had a lot of changes.
So if you see a yoke, it's the refresh and latest and greatest (but generally more expensive, unless you can find a great deal!).
But if you see a 2021 with a steering wheel then it was built Nov or Dec of 2020 and identical to the June 2020+ builds.

One whole set of criteria which noone is even bothering to talk about is what are your needs and preferences in overall vehicle.

Model S and Model Y are quite different cars.

Model Y is more SUV like, sits/rides higher, rear hatch for potential ability to load/unload larger objects, stiffer suspension (also means harsher ride).

Model S is more sedan, hatchback configuration. It sit much lower, suspension especially if you are looking at Raven/newer much more smooth/refined ride, dual screen interior. Some find the Model S given it's lower ride height/lower door profiles potentially more difficult for entry/exit depending upon your size/flexibility. It is still a hatchback, so especially with the rear seat folded down, can still carry an amazing amount of cargo, but the profile of the hatch entry maybe little more limiting for loading large/odd sized objects versus the Model Y.

So if you've not driven both, I'd highly encourage that. You might quickly find that you have a strong preference for one versus the other due to the very different types of vehicles they represent.

Good luck on your decision and search if you continue to pursue a Model S.

Reactions: chioutkast23
Improvements were made June 2020. Then model year 2021 started in November of 2020. Then in February? Of 2021 the refresh was released with the yoke steering wheel which had a lot of changes.
So if you see a yoke, it's the refresh and latest and greatest (but generally more expensive, unless you can find a great deal!).
But if you see a 2021 with a steering wheel then it was built Nov or Dec of 2020 and identical to the June 2020+ builds.
Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?

May go see this used 2021 model s longe range plus for a 2nd time, did you get an inspection done for your used Tesla? Carfax seems clear , just the front bumper scratches and touch up paint

862AED03-AC22-46EF-AA97-4C8C60CC0E03.jpeg

Attachments

• 376887C9-4E07-4C29-BADF-1AF379EDC30C.jpeg
    376887C9-4E07-4C29-BADF-1AF379EDC30C.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 61